2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

County Man

What a sad situation it is that Cheddar had to resign less than 2 weeks before the biggest game of the year against Offaly.

Cheddar did not deserve this after all the the time, energy, committment given and by all accounts his expense.

2012 was a catastrophe. The embarrassment of having to ask the official in O'Connor park to open the gate for us to leave early in the 2nd half v Dublin. What a walloping. Official was sniggering "I didn't think ye were that bad". Followed up by a trouncing by Limerick in the qualifiers. Crisis.

Step in Cheddar to save Laois hurling.

2013 we had the feeling back. A feeling that did not exist since the late 90s. We were competitive again. Remember the feeling we had when Tommy Fitz smashed home that goal to put us ahead against Galway. Our first Leinster semi final since 2005.

What about 2014. What about putting it up to All Ireland champions Clare in the league quater final. What about leading Galway by 6 points with 15 minutes left last June in the Leinster quater final. None of this would be possible without Cheddar.

2015. Taking guys off to Spain for a training camp. Unheard of in Laois. A professional set up.

Yeah sure form hasn't been top notch this year. Losing to Antrim and barely shaking off Carlow. But the 2nd half display against Westmeath last Sunday was much more like it. The lads clicked for the first time this year.

Cyril Farrell last Monday described the upcoming game against Offaly as 50/50. I dont think he'd say that today.

Bottom line is: we need Cheddar back. And fast. I can only hope that everything possible is being done to make this happen.

Don Draper

Quote from: G@@ on June 01, 2015, 12:24:04 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 01, 2015, 08:09:10 AM
I will never forgive Borris Kilcotton for what they have done here. Never.

I blame their manager, I highly doubt the B-K committee sat down last weekend and gave the green light to the manager to play the county panellists.
Bullshit. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

sosmeman

Interesting re B/K the Q I would ask is why. They may feel aggrieved that so many players were in with laois and not available to them. They perhaps feel that they need to win a senior title to vindicate the amalgamation and so Laois not performing gives fuel to the sense of waste that might be there of what they could be achieving with all their players. Perhaps that is the thing Cheddar felt too. Somehow the 2 playing club match was the distillation of all the negativity and seen by him as confirmation of a lack of faith and belief in him by a club or clubs and some players. Let's not forget the club's  were a big part of laois previous woes. (I'm not dismissing the genuine club v county tensions that exist). I think cheddar wanted everyone to put the county first or at least he wanted to move away from the sort of dynamic where this sort of stuff goes on.

Ultimately I think BK people must have known that this was a direct undermining of cheddar but did it anyway. Or maybe they underestimated it's impact. Either way it was a poor move 2 weeks before Offaly. In many ways that game was to be a seminal moment in the cheddar project it still is in the Laois project but it's hard not to feel now like events off the pitch will define more closely where we are than those on. And that's a real sickener.

Helix

Any word on Ross King's injury? no point moaning any longer re: Cheddar's departure. It's a massive pity how it all worked out but there's a game to be won Sunday. Who will be put centre back in place of Matthew? 
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

portlaoisekid

According to Cunningham King is out  for 6-8 weeks.

I wonder will Cunningham make any major changes to the team other than Whelan and King? 

burdizzo

Ross is out for 6 - 8 weeks, I think.
James Walsh was centre back when Whelan was injured before. It didn't work that well, in my opinion. Pity was, Whelan was playing much better since he came back from his injury... Dunno what the answer is, really.
Laoise have lost Whelan and Plunkett, and the already slim chance they had of beating Offaly, it seems.

Helix

Tom Delaney surely to get a look into the team. Great in the air, very physical player who would be able for Offaly's physical battle.  Probably too risky to take Cahir out of full back position this stage in the year since he's been there all season. Need to try Neil Foyle on full forward line if he's not injured or put Zane in full forward and Jimmy Walsh middle of the field.
Puckouts have to be better too much messy ball in senior/u21 championship along with the handpassing.
We need about 2 goals at least and to concede very small amount of frees. Nobody gave us chances against Galway the last 2 years Sunday no different considering the circumstances.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

crow

Even though Healy was never  my choice for full back, its too late to put Delaney in there now and I do think he has the size and boldness to play there. I would play him corner and bring out John A  to the half back line .I hope we go man for man and not drop back a player because I think we are better than Offaly. Will Conroy or Scully start I would start Scully  and  Willie is  my choice for full forward pump it into him score or penalty game over. Rowland, Stapleton,Healy,James Walsh,,Joe Fitz,Tom Delaney ,John A,Paddy Purcell,Picky,Zane,Joe Campion, Cha, Tommy Fitz, Willie, Scully. My team whats yours

Mossy Bruce

I have a big favor to ask. It's been a few years since I've been following the hurling back there and I'd like to reacquaint myself with the County panel. Would someone list the players who've played the most in League and the Championship this year and note what club the players are from? Also, are Conor and Brian Dunne still playing for Laois?

Thanks!
Bruce
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

Would delaney or Campion be suitable for the centreback position? They will probably put James Walsh in there though. Dwayne PAlmer played well against Westmeath.
Peacock another man pushing for a place in the forwards. Ben conroy hasn't done well when starting and Scully hasn't got going at all. What about Ben Reddin, is he still on the panel?
Picky didn't do so well in centrefield against Carlow so wouldn't have him there.
Lot's of decisions to be made and in one sense it's good to have them but the absence of a settled team going into such an important game is a worry.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Helix

Don't think Peacock would last 70 minutes might be a good impact sub again. Not enough running at defenders with our forwards. Willie Hyland good option on the full forward line also. The curtain raiser will be good game Vincent's vs Tullaroan Diarmuid Connelly vs Tommy Walsh!  8)

I we hurl for 70 minutes man to man I say we'll be close. Here's hoping!

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

Cheddar back in charge and the lads are back on the panel. Lets drive on for Sunday.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

crow

A man that can put hurt behind him and look forward is some man, I knew Cheddar was special but it takes character and knowing him he always put county and the lads first and this is a prime example, just a pity it had to become so public but all counties have their problems, its when u rise above them that u gain admiration

Giovanni

Fair play to all involved, including the Country Board who often take a lot of stick from forums like this one.

This is a great outcome for Laois hurling. I hope the players now use the experience to find an extra 10% within themselves for those 70 minutes next Sunday.

Good luck to everyone but, whatever the result, we need to go home Sunday evening knowing that we've done everything possible. Certainly, we're starting in the right way. Fair play.