County most likely to break into the top 4

Started by seafoid, February 12, 2015, 12:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

The status quo of Mayo, Donegal , Dubs and Kerry has been going for a few years.
Which county is most likely to break into the elite ?

I saw an article by Martin Carney where he suggested

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2015/0128/676299-column-who-can-gatecrash-the-established-order/
"Most see the race for Sam Maguire as being a contest between Kerry, Dublin, Mayo, Donegal, Cork and Tyrone."

I wouldn't include Throne in that. Would Monaghan or Armagh not be a better prospect  ? 

DennistheMenace

AZOffaly

What is this 'top 4' you speak of? Does anyone care? Do you qualify for the Champions League?

It seems an arbitrary number, as it can't even be linked to semi finalists as potentially 'top 4' teams could be knocked out by other 'top 4' teams on the way.

If it's a ranking of the top teams in the country, a lá NCAA polls in the states, does it really matter? What difference does it make if you are deemed in the 'top 4'.

I think the categories are 'chance to win an All Ireland', 'chance to win a Provincial', 'Making up the numbers' or perhaps the NFL divisions. This sounds like (and is probably designed to sound like) the equivalent 'top 4' in England, except that has a direct and beneficial consequence if you make it in.

AZOffaly

Apologies seafoid, I thought your headline came from Carney's article. It looks like in this I am more aligned with Carney (gulp) where he calls the elite as the teams that can seriously hope for an All Ireland. (I'd include Cork in that list myself).

nrico2006

Tyrone have as good a chance as any given their underage success, but as mentioned there is no top 4.  There are 6 or 7 teams that could potentially win the All Ireland, you are basically looking at the mainstay division 1 teams
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

There is absolutely a top 4, and they've been head and shoulders above the rest for 2 or 3 years and the only teams IMO capable of winning an All Ireland in that time. While there was potential for them to be caught on an off day by another team, no other team was capable of going all the way to win Sam.

It was as clear as ever that 2014 was a 4 horse race to win Sam. So I think Seafoid's question is valid as to who is the most likely to join them as potential All Ireland winners. The likes of Cork, Monaghan, Tyrone, Armagh were not at the required standard to be All Ireland challengers last year and will need to step up this year if they want to be contenders.

NaomhBridAbú

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Aaron Boone

Armagh have the best manager, are on an upward curve and will expect a top 4 slot this year. They are the mostl likely bet.

larryin89

Roscommon. We're heading into the start of a golden era for the Rossies , could possibly win the next four Connacht championships and maybe even an all Ireland to top it off.

Players like the murtaghs, smiths, Donne shine Sennan Kilbride are some of the most underrated in the land mainly because theyve not had high profile games at senior level yet but this year will see them enter this stage with great gusto .

Can't say I'm going to enjoy it or enjoy listening to the shower of horrible fookers but they will deserve it when it arrives they have put a lot of effort in over the last decade at under age upwards.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

oakleaflad

Quote from: Aaron Boone on February 12, 2015, 12:58:56 PM
Armagh have the best manager, are on an upward curve and will expect a top 4 slot this year. They are the mostl likely bet.
I have a feeling they will be sorely disappointed. I wouldn't have them top 8.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2015, 12:17:18 PM
Apologies seafoid, I thought your headline came from Carney's article. It looks like in this I am more aligned with Carney (gulp) where he calls the elite as the teams that can seriously hope for an All Ireland. (I'd include Cork in that list myself).

I thought it was an interesting article, AZ.
Mayo broke into the top 4 in 2011 with the semi final. They were losing to Longford the year before.
I can't see any new team winning the all Ireland this year but maybe one of the top 4 will be displaced.
Maybe Donegal have done as much as they could.
Mayo can't keep going forever without winning either. If they had won Sam they'd have faded back into the pack by now, I think.

And it is an iterative process- semifinal can lead to final appearance and then all Ireland win but it takes a while if you are not Kerry. The Dubs and Donegal served their time.
Monaghan were disappointing last year. I thought they would kick on. Armagh had a good run in the QFs too

I think neither Meath nor les Flourbags are  going to do it and it's too early for Ros/Cavan etc 
Galway need more time too.

But as Carney said
"It's a county that can dredge a maximum from its talent pool when the sniff of success emerges" ;)

AZOffaly

It's more the 'top 4' nomenclature I was taking issue with. As I said, I think there are distinct categories, and what the article is referring to is breaking into the top category. Whether that number is 2, 4 or 8, the principle remains the same.

I was railing against the wrong thing entirely. I thought Carney was trying to bring a 'top 4' type discussion as if that was some sort of prize to be aimed for, like top 4 in the premier league.

Blowitupref

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 12, 2015, 12:35:09 PM
Tyrone have as good a chance as any given their underage success
Minor level? I think it's 2006 since Tyrone won Ulster U21 title
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

nrico2006

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 12, 2015, 03:44:50 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 12, 2015, 12:35:09 PM
Tyrone have as good a chance as any given their underage success
Minor level? I think it's 2006 since Tyrone won Ulster U21 title

But there is obviously still a lot of talent in the county if they have won 2 All Minor All Irelands since then and been in another final.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

mjg

Quote from: Aaron Boone on February 12, 2015, 12:58:56 PM
Mcgeeney the best manager?