The Bible in quotations

Started by muppet, February 08, 2015, 02:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

I felt this is worth a thread of its own. People, one in particular, refer to the Bible as if it has completely moral authority over all of us.

But what exactly does it tell us?

Here are a few to start with:

Leviticus 25:44

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

Deuteronomy 25:11-12
"If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."

Deuteronomy 7:1-2   
When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

Exodus 21:20-21   
If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.
MWWSI 2017

Old yeller

LCohen

Quote from: Old yeller on February 08, 2015, 03:00:51 PM
A book of fiction
And in parts some fairly decent fiction.

As an overall work it is rambling, disjointed and so gruesome in parts that it could not be described as instructive in areas such as morality.

Taking the Old and New Testaments separately and considering how they were brought about and how removed the authors were from the events (even the ones that are real) that they try to detail it is understandable that they would be rambling, disjointed, inaccurate, self-contractory and off a time.

T Fearon

You must separate the imagery from the facts of the gospel and life,death,resurrection of Christ

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on February 08, 2015, 02:56:12 PM
I felt this is worth a thread of its own. People, one in particular, refer to the Bible as if it has completely moral authority over all of us.

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

"If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."

When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

The old testament is iron age logic. Many other religious books could have made it but didn't.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2015, 03:17:06 PM

The old testament is iron age logic. Many other religious books could have made it but didn't.

But why do we tolerate people who insist on its authority? 50 shades of Grey has more relevance.
MWWSI 2017

Nigel White

The stuff about slaves and war etc would cause no great concern for me but my wife could find herself in a spot of bother if the rule about her grabbing the charlies of any bloke I was involved in a fight with was ever enforced.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on February 08, 2015, 03:16:12 PM
You must separate the imagery from the facts of the gospel and life,death,resurrection of Christ

are you discounting the extracts above from Leviticus as "imagery". They are written in the language of express instructions. If you are discounting these as imagery then the bits that you are going to come up with from biblical "fact" that details how homosexuality is a sin (on another thread) are going to be real good. Should be a good read when you eventually do post them

muppet

Quote from: Nigel White on February 08, 2015, 03:30:09 PM
The stuff about slaves and war etc would cause no great concern for me but my wife could find herself in a spot of bother if the rule about her grabbing the charlies of any bloke I was involved in a fight with was ever enforced.

Well it is certainly easier than divorce.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

I think that's only fair, to be honest.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2015, 03:38:22 PM

I think that's only fair, to be honest.

Its bollix.  :D
MWWSI 2017

LCohen

Quote from: muppet on February 08, 2015, 03:18:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2015, 03:17:06 PM

But why do we tolerate people who insist on its authority? 50 shades of Grey has more relevance.

Tony is a great fan at guessing at the motivation of posters. To indulge in his game I will take a guess at why some people tolerate the bible. The bible is a broad and diverse document. You can find what you want in it. The bits you don't like you can disregard as "imagery", "the lord works in mysterious ways" or "ours is not to reason why". All cop outs. When contemplating the fact that we are all en route to being worm food some struggle and have to construct a framework around that than provides some context of a future life, a means of getting there and a link to the current "earthly" life. Along the way the ancient text allows them to pull lines here and there to justify bigoted prejudice. They tolerate it because they must. That is why they cannot abide being questioned or challenged. Look at Tony's abject refusal to answer questions on the gay marriage thread (and all previous threads or religious matters or matters that be drags religion into). He can't answer the questions because either:
a) the supporting evidence for his bigoted views simply isn't there in the bible or
b) he knows that he can't rely on the literal truth of any quote he does find because that would be accepting the literal truth of all the bible. And that can of worms will lead only to him truly considering the bible and ultimately having to reject it as a moral guide (it would survive as a work of fiction though).

Hardy

I think this sort of carry-on is a bit extreme, though:

If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, <says>, "I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity," ... If the charge is true and no proof of the young woman's virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death.
(Deuteronomy 19, 13-20)

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2015, 03:54:16 PM

If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, <says>, "I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity," ... If the charge is true and no proof of the young woman's virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death.
(Deuteronomy 19, 13-20)

She would be fine if she was from Mayo. We have a very high wide count in ancient stoning.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2015, 03:54:16 PM

(Deuteronomy 19, 13-20)
what in your great modern thinking wise and liberal ways should be done with her then? I'm all ears...