I don't have a vote but would vote "Yes" if I did
107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

J70

I don't think anyone ever suggested that heterosexual marriage was not "sound and well tested". You and others, Armaghniac, are claiming that permitting gays to marry will somehow harm it (I still don't know how!). Gay marriage advocates see no reason why gay marriage would have ANY effect on the soundness of heterosexual marriage.

But it's not about soundness.  It's about inclusion.

armaghniac

So, should brother and sister marriages be included?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on May 06, 2015, 08:24:39 PM

Is there a demand for it?
MWWSI 2017

J70

If that is directed at me, then no, obviously not. Inbreeding has bad enough effects when cousins marry.

T Fearon

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/two-of-our-bishops-should-repent-1-6727280

Whether you are Christian,agnostic or atheist,the points in this letter are irrefutable

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 09:20:52 PM

Whether you are Christian,agnostic or atheist,the points in this letter are irrefutable

For good traditional Anglicans, I guess you are right.

The relevance for the rest of us...?

Oraisteach

Tony, I can't read it on my iPad.  Can you post the text of the article?  If not, no bother.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 09:20:52 PM

The resolution further states: "The Church of Ireland recognises for itself and of itself, no other understanding of marriage than that provided for in the totality of Canon 31. The Church of Ireland teaches therefore that faithfulness within marriage is the only normative context for sexual intercourse. Members of the Church of Ireland are required by the Catechism to keep their bodies in 'temperance, soberness and chastity'. Clergy are called in the Ordinal to be 'wholesome examples and patterns to the flock of Jesus Christ'."

If they are 'irrefutable', then you are not a Catholic.  ;D ;D
MWWSI 2017

Oraisteach

Tony, do you believe there should be a separation of church and state?  If so, then pronouncements by various religious denominations should have little relevance to whether or not the constitution should be changed.  If you think church and state ought to be one and the same, then you believe in a theocracy.  Ireland shares the first two letters of Iran, but that should be their only similarity, I believe.

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on May 06, 2015, 09:19:15 PM

If that is directed at me, then no, obviously not. Inbreeding has bad enough effects when cousins marry.

But, surely marriage has nothing to do with children, according to yourself.

Itchy

Tony, I love riding. Can I still be a catholic or what's the story?

rrhf

No but it might explain the itch..
Catch yourself on lads. Coming from a statelet where prejudice was acceptable.  It's interesting to watch the developing 26 county world struggling to accept diversity.  26 county Ireland needs to grow into its skin. It can be a great state but it's got to free itself...The liberals in the north can do no more. We want to see an Ireland where we are all cherished as equal. Prejudice has no place in an Ireland United and fair.

Eamonnca1

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2015, 11:55:03 PM
Still waiting, Tony.

Since you like to call for clarification, where do you stand on people being allowed to marry their granny?

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on May 06, 2015, 10:10:13 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 06, 2015, 09:19:15 PM

But, surely marriage has nothing to do with children, according to yourself.

When I was young I had a teacher whose wife had died years earlier. He then married his wife's sister. That afaik, is still against Catholic Church teaching on the ludicrous grounds of 'affinity', There is no blood relationship, yet because of some twisted ideology from a really old book, it is a sin. Of course a sin becomes not a sin if His Holiness decrees it to be so, thus is possible they received Papal Dispensation. Is this nonsense still the case today?
MWWSI 2017