Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Shrewdness on February 10, 2015, 12:04:30 AM
Rossfan, i reckon it'll hit at least 30 pages. These boys are only warming up!!

We ll continue in the local discussion section. Ye wont bother tracking us there ;)
Tyronies no longer interested in this thread anyway. They re well sated for now.

God14

I thought Niall Morgan was very lucky to escape a card when mayo scored their goal. He needs to think about his discipline.
Mickey O'Neill a genuine contender now for goalkeeper.

macdanger2

Seems like a lot of over-reaction to losing a league game in February (there didn't seem to be much chat of playing an ultra-defensive system after the Kerry game).

Yes, we need play more defensively than last year and provide more cover to our FB line when the HBs bomb forward but we don't need to completely change our playing style from the last couple of years. Playing someone like SOS in CHB would be a start. I think even Dublin will have realised from last year that you can't completely ignore the need to defend.

If we were to go the whole hog of a blanket defence, we would need to become the best at it – does anyone honestly believe that we could match what Donegal did in 2012? I don't. Over the past 3 years, we've been inches away from winning an AI, IMO what is needed to bring us the rest of the way is the development of a plan B & C for the forward line and an increased onus on covering the FB line once we lose the ball.

For what it's worth, I don't think any of the varying quality of blankets that are around at the moment will be good enough to beat Dublin / Kerry this year. A better version of what we have played for the last 3 years might be

rosnarun

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 10, 2015, 08:41:15 AM
Seems like a lot of over-reaction to losing a league game in February (there didn't seem to be much chat of playing an ultra-defensive system after the Kerry game).

Yes, we need play more defensively than last year and provide more cover to our FB line when the HBs bomb forward but we don’t need to completely change our playing style from the last couple of years. Playing someone like SOS in CHB would be a start. I think even Dublin will have realised from last year that you can’t completely ignore the need to defend.

If we were to go the whole hog of a blanket defence, we would need to become the best at it – does anyone honestly believe that we could match what Donegal did in 2012? I don’t. Over the past 3 years, we’ve been inches away from winning an AI, IMO what is needed to bring us the rest of the way is the development of a plan B & C for the forward line and an increased onus on covering the FB line once we lose the ball.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think any of the varying quality of blankets that are around at the moment will be good enough to beat Dublin / Kerry this year. A better version of what we have played for the last 3 years might be

incredible reaction to a poor performance a week after  one of our better  league performances for years .
1st thing to remember we are much more likely to be facing Kerry come august september (if mayo are still in it) than were are a poor enough tyrone team made for league points to Stay in division one.
so to change team and tactics to suit tyrones anti-football would be just Stupid.

while i love to see  a new guy come along whos going to change the face of mayo football as much as the next . Connelly and Holmes used a huge amount of players during the league and also had an eye on the hastings cup and when some one or two are appointed manager you have to give them time to get their own team up and running  and trust their judgement untill it is proved other wise.

God the gamers cant come quick enoug a good win over monaghan and the campaign for canonization will start again
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

nrico2006

I laughed at the last post referring to Tyrone as a poor team - in all seriousness some Mayo fans have a high opinion of their team.  They have achieved very little and haven't got a serious forward of note, there is as much talent in the Tyrone panel as there is in the Mayo one.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 10, 2015, 10:31:08 AM
I laughed at the last post referring to Tyrone as a poor team - in all seriousness some Mayo fans have a high opinion of their team.  They have achieved very little and haven't got a serious forward of note, there is as much talent in the Tyrone panel as there is in the Mayo one.

That's not really accurate Nrico, you mightn't like it but Tyrone have done very little of Nite since 2008, that's 7 years now.
And Mayo haven't won the All Ireland but we are one of the four teams that look capable of it over the last four years and I think we quiet rightly have a high opinion of that.
And we don't have forwards other than Cillian, who is a serious forward.

I would think that mayo should be looking at teams like Tyrone, Roscommon etc and thinking we won't be losing to them this year come championship, just my opinion though
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rosnarun

apart from league matches in february  there is no evidence of that since , as mayo4sam points out, since 2008
how many players remain from that era?
Mayo have knocked at least 4 reigning holders out and came  within a kick of a ball of making it 3 All Ireland finals in a row last year. while not quiet t he holy grail . its not nothing either
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tyrone Gaa

Mayo being a 'nearly team' is nothing to shout about.  If Tyrone have been poor from 2008 how many times have Mayo been able to get the better of them?  Tyrone were in All Ireland semi finals from 2008.  When Tyrone reach a final they make a point of not losing them either.  Takes a bit of fight, that's something Mayo clearly lack whether it be February or September.  When Mayo are challenged they are often found lacking.
Living the dream!!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: rosnarun on February 10, 2015, 02:36:41 PM
apart from league matches in february  there is no evidence of that since , as mayo4sam points out, since 2008
how many players remain from that era?
Mayo have knocked at least 4 reigning holders out and came  within a kick of a ball of making it 3 All Ireland finals in a row last year. while not quiet t he holy grail . its not nothing either

Absolutely agree, there was period of time a few years ago when Mayo where being crowned as team of the decade and there was talk of 3 in a row. How can Tyrone compete with that?
That was never a square ball!!

macdanger2

Jesus, Tyrone folk getting snotty about being called a poor team - have a look at the Tyrone v Monaghan thread and read what Tyrone supporters were saying about your own team

BennyHarp

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 10, 2015, 02:49:57 PM
Jesus, Tyrone folk getting snotty about being called a poor team - have a look at the Tyrone v Monaghan thread and read what Tyrone supporters were saying about your own team

I know and Mayo folk getting all high and mighty because Tyrone don't feel inferior to them - have a look at the last few pages on this thread and read what Mayo supporters are saying about their own team.

Bojangles

Yeah, you Tyrone lads must understand that winning the AI and outgunning Kerry for over a decade is only 'technically' fulfilling the requirements for greatness. True legendary status only comes from getting your ass handed to you every year and still turning up faithfully confident of success!

Syferus

Tyrone are man-to-man inferior to Mayo. Few if anyone outside Tyrone could or would argue otherwise.

Tyrone were probably the team of the last decade but since at least 2010 Tyrone haven't seriously challenged for Sam, while Mayo have. It was a remarkable achievement for Harte to get Tyrone to the AISF in 2013.

Tyrone just need to keep building if they want to win number four. Winning number four in Mayo is an altogether more maddening task for the natives.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on February 10, 2015, 03:10:34 PM
Tyrone are man-to-man inferior to Mayo. Few if anyone outside Tyrone could or would argue otherwise.

Tyrone were probably the team of the last decade but since at least 2010 Tyrone haven't seriously challenged for Sam, while Mayo have. It was a remarkable achievement for Harte to get Tyrone to the AISF in 2013.

Tyrone just need to keep building if they want to win number four. Winning number four in Mayo is an altogether more maddening task for the natives.

That Mayo forward line are in no way shape or form better man for man than Tyrone's and that's a pretty significant section of the team. Bar Cillian O'Connor i wouldn't have any of them on the Tyrone forward line. I suspect we will appreciate how good a job James Horan did with Mayo by the end of this season.

larryin89

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 10, 2015, 03:20:56 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 10, 2015, 03:10:34 PM

That Mayo forward line are in no way shape or form better man for man than Tyrone's and that's a pretty significant section of the team. Bar Cillian O'Connor i wouldn't have any of them on the Tyrone forward line. I suspect we will appreciate how good a job James Horan did with Mayo by the end of this season.

Not true, as a unit come the hard ground we have a decent forward unit better than Tyrones.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .