Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on February 09, 2015, 10:34:48 PM
After that I think it is inevitable that Mayo will get more defensive and adopt a massed defence. Might not be popular but waste of time persisting with our current naive approach. As it is our backs have  been left exposed for years and arguably cost us last years AI. We need to concede a lot less.
Our personnel also would suit a rope-a-dope counter-attacking game. We ve loads of players that hold the middle, e.g. Seamie, Vaughan, Aidan and ball carrying backs our strength Barrett (recovering from ankle surgery, Hall, Durcan, Keegan, Boyler, Cian Burke, Vaughan, Zippy made for the game. Good link players comfortable on the ball like Parsons, McLoughlin and Doherty.
Also we simply do not have the quality target inside man/men to persist with what we re doing.
The game has become an arm wrestle so might as well join it. Going nowhere otherwise. Kerry had no problem playing their version of a blanket.
We should use the rest of the league to adapt to a very defensive system and have it in place for the championship opener in Salthill. Everybody knows how to set up against us now. Ros. got close last year. Any team would fancy it now after that.

Agree 100% with this Moysider.We need to start playing a system that suits our better players not keep trying to incorporate players into a system that just is not working for us.For a start we need to go to a 2 man ff line and play an extra defender be it Vaughan Barrett whoever maybe even Higgins as the extra man.We are carrying passangers in the ff line and its high time we tried something different.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fairly honest appraisal of the proceedings from Pat Holmes in the aftermath...

interview
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Lar Naparka

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 09, 2015, 09:07:12 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 09, 2015, 07:58:18 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 09, 2015, 07:03:59 PM
Some amount of yapping on here from Mayo about AOS. It was a foul no doubt but What card it should have been is completely ambiguous, not the officials fault, its the rules fault

On the other hand the goal yous were awarded got was a total farce. 3 fouls and then a technical infringement, followed by a discussion between officials of the incidents, 2 of whom were within 3 metres of said rule infringements and none of them seen or deemed any of them to be against the rules...the mind boggles

Arrah, will ya go away outa that, will ya? ;D
I mean one of our goals was as total farce, was it?
So there wuz three fouls, followed by a technical infringement, whatever that means, and three officials had a yap about it but none of 'em saw what you could see- even though two were within six bloody feet of the alleged technical infringement and you weren't within an asses's roar of what was going on.
Some of yous bucks were up to far worse than anything O'Shea might have done and ye got away with it.
Poxy Ref!

Hmmm you write what I imagine like Mick Barret would sound like.

Have you decided that posting on gaaboard is a more effective method of questioning a referees decision than a rolling maul with match stewards

Hah? Who's questioning the ref's decision?  ;D
I'm saying the ref was dead, goddamn right. Him and his two umpires decided that the goal was, well, a goal and they were bang on the money.
I think you are the one doing a Mick Barrett here.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

;D
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 09, 2015, 11:14:22 PM

interview

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I first heard a Pateen 'honest' interview after the Connacht final in '94 when he was the only player willing to face the music.
He s been managing teams now for 15 years. He s in a group with 4? very defensive sides and this is a performance we get at home.
Pathetic performance and an interview of ould guff that we ve come to expect.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: moysider on February 09, 2015, 11:25:36 PM
;D

interview

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I first heard a Pateen 'honest' interview after the Connacht final in '94 when he was the only player willing to face the music.
He s been managing teams now for 15 years. He s in a group with 4? very defensive sides and this is a performance we get at home.

To paraphrase:

• Probably the most defensive set-up we've been cursed enough to face
  • Not something we had planned for in our wildest nightmares
  • Damned sure we're going to be better prepared if we're ever faced with such an awful duvet abomination again
  • Now, time I was gone, I have a hell of a lot of coaching (and kicking ass) to do

Fairly honest from Pateen if you were to ask me! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 09, 2015, 11:10:25 PM
After that I think it is inevitable that Mayo will get more defensive and adopt a massed defence. Might not be popular but waste of time persisting with our current naive approach. As it is our backs have  been left exposed for years and arguably cost us last years AI. We need to concede a lot less.
Our personnel also would suit a rope-a-dope counter-attacking game. We ve loads of players that hold the middle, e.g. Seamie, Vaughan, Aidan and ball carrying backs our strength Barrett (recovering from ankle surgery, Hall, Durcan, Keegan, Boyler, Cian Burke, Vaughan, Zippy made for the game. Good link players comfortable on the ball like Parsons, McLoughlin and Doherty.
Also we simply do not have the quality target inside man/men to persist with what we re doing.
The game has become an arm wrestle so might as well join it. Going nowhere otherwise. Kerry had no problem playing their version of a blanket.
We should use the rest of the league to adapt to a very defensive system and have it in place for the championship opener in Salthill. Everybody knows how to set up against us now. Ros. got close last year. Any team would fancy it now after that.

Agree 100% with this Moysider.We need to start playing a system that suits our better players not keep trying to incorporate players into a system that just is not working for us.For a start we need to go to a 2 man ff line and play an extra defender be it Vaughan Barrett whoever maybe even Higgins as the extra man.We are carrying passangers in the ff line and its high time we tried something different.

There is no alternative. Christ, even Mead were playing a version of the blanket v Kildare :o
Yer man Mickey Burke had enough hair on him to make a blanket of his own + fleas.
But I m talking more than a sweeper and two man ff line. The only out and out forward finisher I would start would be O Connor. Likes of Doc, McLoughlin, O Coonor the younger and half backs can get up and down and usually contribute heavily to our scoring anyway.

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on February 09, 2015, 11:34:00 PM

There is no alternative. Christ, even Mead were playing a version of the blanket v Kildare :o
Yer man Mickey Burke had enough hair on him to make a blanket of his own + fleas.
But I m talking more than a sweeper and two man ff line. The only out and out forward finisher I would start would be O Connor. Likes of Doc, McLoughlin, O Coonor the younger and half backs can get up and down and usually contribute heavily to our scoring anyway.

I know this wont go down well with some on here but i believe Regan will also have to start he has a skill set that we badly need.The extra defender will also give our backs licence to get forward when the time arises

moysider

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 09, 2015, 11:32:40 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 09, 2015, 11:25:36 PM
;D

interview

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

To paraphase:

• Probably the most defensive set-up we've been cursed enough to face
  • Not something we had planned for in our wildest nightmares
  • Damned sure we're going to be better prepared if we're ever faced with such an awful duvet abomination again
  • Now, time I was gone, I have a hell of a lot of coaching (and kicking ass) to do

Fairly honest from Pateen if you were to ask me! ;)

More like very naive if you ask me.
If I as a fan expected that then the team manager should have been expecting it. Harte and Tyrone were hurting - what did he expect was going to happen.
I was also expecting Justin McMahon to start. Was he? How any body could have been taken aback by that in the circumstances is grim.
Better prepared next time? Wouldn t hold my breath. More roaring and shouting in the changing rooms maybe ::)

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 09, 2015, 11:38:52 PM

I know this wont go down well with some on here but i believe Regan will also have to start he has a skill set that we badly need.The extra defender will also give our backs licence to get forward when the time arises

No point speculating about Reagan now Dan. That bird has flown.

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on February 09, 2015, 11:47:09 PM

Ive heard hes expected back for the Cork game that it wasnt as bad as first feared.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

REDCOL

For all the talk of defensive formations. What abbout fresh blood. Gallagher,Ronaldson, Conroy,Sweeney,Varley, O Connor all tried before, even Evan and Stephen Coen had played league football under the previous regime. Only one new player given game time in Patrick Durcan. Maybe there is no new talent in the County but I would of liked to see Crowe, Dravins, Jack Reilly get a run. By the way, what did Neil Douglas do wrong.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 09, 2015, 11:49:53 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 09, 2015, 11:47:09 PM

Ive heard hes expected back for the Cork game that it wasnt as bad as first feared.

It s still a busted collar bone and they can be tricky. I don t know when Cork is but he should not be playing before 12 weeks minimum.
And it s not like he s a regular anyway. After all that has happened with his development it s a question of wait and see.
Hopefully Barrett s surgery to ankle is just a bit of cleaning up and this stupid 3 week break will mean he ll miss feck all games. Parsons close to a return as well and I expect him to become a fixture this year. TBH its not our players that concern me.

Shrewdness

Rossfan, i reckon it'll hit at least 30 pages. These boys are only warming up!!

moysider

Quote from: REDCOL on February 09, 2015, 11:56:53 PM
For all the talk of defensive formations. What abbout fresh blood. Gallagher,Ronaldson, Conroy,Sweeney,Varley, O Connor all tried before, even Evan and Stephen Coen had played league football under the previous regime. Only one new player given game time in Patrick Durcan. Maybe there is no new talent in the County but I would of liked to see Crowe, Dravins, Jack Reilly get a run. By the way, what did Neil Douglas do wrong.

Michael Hall did well. He was new. You could throw likes of Plunkett, Seanie Regan and Cian Burke in there  too. Irwin and Beirne. Give them all a run by all means. They all can play Would it have changed the result or even the performance the last day? I dunno but I doubt it. More like more lambs to the slaughter.
Unless there are changes to rules no team is going to win an AI again without a serious defense-first approach.