Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: StephenC on February 09, 2015, 05:05:05 PM
From where I was sitting, it looked to be a beautiful pass from Cavanagh (I think?) for Tyrone's goal.

It was a cracker, however, from memory he may have been aiming for a man further out on the wing and landed on a plate for Lavery. I'm sure Sean will claim it was intentional!

Btw, Lavery showed good composure to lay it off to Harte. Many 'newcomers' would have panicked and tried to take the net off the goals with a piledriver.

muppet

Quote from: Old yeller on February 09, 2015, 05:22:59 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 09, 2015, 10:04:19 AM
On the reffing or lack thereof, absolutely terrible. How many times were frees slowed down, at one stage in the second half a tyrone lad kicked the ball 30 yards to the corner, he couldn't possibly have argued he was kicking it to a tyrone man because they were all inside their own 45.
Diarmuid O'C black card for a rugby tackle. No. 26 Tyrone black card for two pull downs inside 30 seconds, yellowed two mins later. Duffy calling a line ball when it was clearly inside from O'C again. COC being pulled round the place by McMahon, followed up by a shoulder to the chest, both booked. AOS,  think he could have pulled out, surprised it wasn't a red but where do u get a black. Diarmuid again dragging out of Sean C.
If I could remember more Id put them down. Absolutely terrible.

On Mayo, you can't have three inside forwards who just don't move, really poor and even COC didn't change that, looking for long balls into the square. Shooting was the worst I've seen in a long time.
When Kev Mc and Jason D don't preform we are a poor team and chasing the game yesterday we went back to leaving our full back isolated, both Zippy and Caff were hung out to dry.

As for Tyrone, great football people but that team yesterday was absolutely puke, no interest in football, we couldn't get around it so it's job done but I'd worry if that was the template for the year and Mickey can't get a talented group of players to play some football.
The ref was bad in fairness but he was correct with the AOS call. People need to learn the black card rule themselves before ridiculing the ref for applying it correctly!

If jumping to block a handpass is a black card because of where you land, we might as well throw our hats at the game altogether.
MWWSI 2017

Old yeller

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 06:19:51 PM
On the reffing or lack thereof, absolutely terrible. How many times were frees slowed down, at one stage in the second half a tyrone lad kicked the ball 30 yards to the corner, he couldn't possibly have argued he was kicking it to a tyrone man because they were all inside their own 45.
Diarmuid O'C black card for a rugby tackle. No. 26 Tyrone black card for two pull downs inside 30 seconds, yellowed two mins later. Duffy calling a line ball when it was clearly inside from O'C again. COC being pulled round the place by McMahon, followed up by a shoulder to the chest, both booked. AOS,  think he could have pulled out, surprised it wasn't a red but where do u get a black. Diarmuid again dragging out of Sean C.

On Mayo, you can't have three inside forwards who just don't move, really poor and even COC didn't change that, looking for long balls into the square. Shooting was the worst I've seen in a long time.
When Kev Mc and Jason D don't preform we are a poor team and chasing the game yesterday we went back to leaving our full back isolated, both Zippy and Caff were hung out to dry.

As for Tyrone, great football people but that team yesterday was absolutely puke, no interest in football, we couldn't get around it so it's job done but I'd worry if that was the template for the year and Mickey can't get a talented group of players to play some football.
The ref was bad in fairness but he was correct with the AOS call. People need to learn the black card rule themselves before ridiculing the ref for applying it correctly!

If jumping to block a handpass is a black card because of where you land, we might as well throw our hats at the game altogether.
Do you honestly believe it was an accident? Come on now

muppet

Quote from: Old yeller on February 09, 2015, 06:40:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 06:19:51 PM

Do you honestly believe it was an accident? Come on now

Em.....

MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Some amount of yapping on here from Mayo about AOS. It was a foul no doubt but What card it should have been is completely ambiguous, not the officials fault, its the rules fault

On the other hand the goal yous were awarded got was a total farce. 3 fouls and then a technical infringement, followed by a discussion between officials of the incidents, 2 of whom were within 3 metres of said rule infringements and none of them seen or deemed any of them to be against the rules...the mind boggles

Old yeller

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 09, 2015, 07:03:59 PM
Some amount of yapping on here from Mayo about AOS. It was a foul no doubt but What card it should have been is completely ambiguous, not the officials fault, its the rules fault

On the other hand the goal yous were awarded got was a total farce. 3 fouls and then a technical infringement, followed by a discussion between officials of the incidents, 2 of whom were within 3 metres of said rule infringements and none of them seen or deemed any of them to be against the rules...the mind boggles
I don't think it is that ambiguous though. Call it a body-check/stopping the runner, thats a black card. The stuff leading up to the goal was mad alright!

macdanger2

Quote from: Old yeller on February 09, 2015, 07:21:31 PM

I don't think it is that ambiguous though. Call it a body-check/stopping the runner, thats a black card. The stuff leading up to the goal was mad alright!

Can't agree with you there, he was making a legitimate attempt to block the ball. It could be considered reckless play but never a black card for me.

Made no difference to the result but it could during the summer.

Lar Naparka

Arrah, will ya go away outa that, will ya? ;D
I mean one of our goals was as total farce, was it?
So there wuz three fouls, followed by a technical infringement, whatever that means, and three officials had a yap about it but none of 'em saw what you could see- even though two were within six bloody feet of the alleged technical infringement and you weren't within an asses's roar of what was going on.
Some of yous bucks were up to far worse than anything O'Shea might have done and ye got away with it.
Poxy Ref!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 09, 2015, 07:53:20 PM
Quote from: Old yeller on February 09, 2015, 07:21:31 PM

Can't agree with you there, he was making a legitimate attempt to block the ball. It could be considered reckless play but never a black card for me.

Made no difference to the result but it could during the summer.

Yes ffs if every attempt to go for the ball, which led to a collision, triggered dismissals we would end up with netball.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 09, 2015, 07:58:18 PM

Arrah, will ya go away outa that, will ya? ;D
I mean one of our goals was as total farce, was it?
So there wuz three fouls, followed by a technical infringement, whatever that means, and three officials had a yap about it but none of 'em saw what you could see- even though two were within six bloody feet of the alleged technical infringement and you weren't within an asses's roar of what was going on.
Some of yous bucks were up to far worse than anything O'Shea might have done and ye got away with it.
Poxy Ref!

Hmmm you write what I imagine like Mick Barret would sound like.

Have you decided that posting on gaaboard is a more effective method of questioning a referees decision than a rolling maul with match stewards

moysider

After that I think it is inevitable that Mayo will get more defensive and adopt a massed defence. Might not be popular but waste of time persisting with our current naive approach. As it is our backs have  been left exposed for years and arguably cost us last years AI. We need to concede a lot less.
Our personnel also would suit a rope-a-dope counter-attacking game. We ve loads of players that hold the middle, e.g. Seamie, Vaughan, Aidan and ball carrying backs our strength Barrett (recovering from ankle surgery, Hall, Durcan, Keegan, Boyler, Cian Burke, Vaughan, Zippy made for the game. Good link players comfortable on the ball like Parsons, McLoughlin and Doherty.
Also we simply do not have the quality target inside man/men to persist with what we re doing.
The game has become an arm wrestle so might as well join it. Going nowhere otherwise. Kerry had no problem playing their version of a blanket.
We should use the rest of the league to adapt to a very defensive system and have it in place for the championship opener in Salthill. Everybody knows how to set up against us now. Ros. got close last year. Any team would fancy it now after that.

rrhf

The most honest all Ireland they ever won..

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on February 09, 2015, 10:34:48 PM
After that I think it is inevitable that Mayo will get more defensive and adopt a massed defence. Might not be popular but waste of time persisting with our current naive approach. As it is our backs have  been left exposed for years and arguably cost us last years AI. We need to concede a lot less.
Our personnel also would suit a rope-a-dope counter-attacking game. We ve loads of players that hold the middle, e.g. Seamie, Vaughan, Aidan and ball carrying backs our strength Barrett (recovering from ankle surgery, Hall, Durcan, Keegan, Boyler, Cian Burke, Vaughan, Zippy made for the game. Good link players comfortable on the ball like Parsons, McLoughlin and Doherty.
Also we simply do not have the quality target inside man/men to persist with what we re doing.
The game has become an arm wrestle so might as well join it. Going nowhere otherwise. Kerry had no problem playing their version of a blanket.
We should use the rest of the league to adapt to a very defensive system and have it in place for the championship opener in Salthill. Everybody knows how to set up against us now. Ros. got close last year. Any team would fancy it now after that.

Jays moy, I dunno about that. I've read several comments over on WJ's blog and social media saying that 'if Mayo ever go negative they'd never go to a game again etc'. But I agree with what you're saying, although Pat's interview afterwards doesn't inspire me with confidence that the management has the wherewithal to draw up a defensive strategy to implement the blanket defence.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 09, 2015, 10:48:49 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 09, 2015, 10:34:48 PM

Jays moy, I dunno about that. I've read several comments over on WJ's blog and social media saying that 'if Mayo ever go negative they'd never go to a game again etc'. But I agree with what you're saying, although Pat's interview afterwards doesn't inspire me with confidence that the management has the wherewithal to draw up a defensive strategy to implement the blanket defence.

The same people would be crowing if we win games - no matter how they were won.

Look, with this current management it looks like we ll just muddle along anyway. Pat's comments after the game have gone down like a lead balloon around the place.
Remember Pat was about last time when the game was about to go in a different direction. He had a very good team. He had the opportunity to do what likes of Kernan and Harte did. He blew it. It s wishful thinking that he would be better or more dynamic this time.
In itself last Sunday s game was not important but as regards the signals it gives out it was huge. The way manager and captained responded to it after did nothing to deflect suspicions in a lot of peoples's minds that this management is out of its depth.
Maybe that s why they should go ultra defensive. A negative, defensive game is a lot easier to coach than trying to coach a positive game to beat the blanket defensive with a ff line of midgets!
tbh I couldn t watch us being rope-a-doped like that again either.