Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

On the reffing or lack thereof, absolutely terrible. How many times were frees slowed down, at one stage in the second half a tyrone lad kicked the ball 30 yards to the corner, he couldn't possibly have argued he was kicking it to a tyrone man because they were all inside their own 45.
Diarmuid O'C black card for a rugby tackle. No. 26 Tyrone black card for two pull downs inside 30 seconds, yellowed two mins later. Duffy calling a line ball when it was clearly inside from O'C again. COC being pulled round the place by McMahon, followed up by a shoulder to the chest, both booked. AOS,  think he could have pulled out, surprised it wasn't a red but where do u get a black. Diarmuid again dragging out of Sean C.
If I could remember more Id put them down. Absolutely terrible.

On Mayo, you can't have three inside forwards who just don't move, really poor and even COC didn't change that, looking for long balls into the square. Shooting was the worst I've seen in a long time.
When Kev Mc and Jason D don't preform we are a poor team and chasing the game yesterday we went back to leaving our full back isolated, both Zippy and Caff were hung out to dry.

As for Tyrone, great football people but that team yesterday was absolutely puke, no interest in football, we couldn't get around it so it's job done but I'd worry if that was the template for the year and Mickey can't get a talented group of players to play some football.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Matthew Donnelly is a serious baller. When you can play in any position basically sign of a great player.
Still remember him kicking the equaliser in the drawn minor final in 08 in injury time...

macdanger2

Congrats to Tyrone. Poor performance and result for Mayo though, shouldn't be getting beaten like that at home. That said, it's the first week of February and too early to over-react

On Freeman, his movement yesterday was slightly better than in Killarney but still very poor. I wouldn't dispense with him just yet as it's easier to coach a player to make decent runs than coaching a player to put the ball over the bar. He's on borrowed time though. The movement of the entire FF line needs to drastically improve and that's something that H&C need to work on. Some of the posters on here lambasting Freeman are the very ones who believe Horan lost us the All Ireland in 2013 by taking him off in that game, not sure how those views can be squared.  :o

I think Vaughan will be better after another few games in the middle and on harder ground later in the year and I'd like to see him at either MF or HF – if we want to compete with the likes of Dublin, we need more mobility around there than we get from our other midfielders. I'd like to see Parsons back as well – is he injured or what??

We left massive gaps at the back while we piled forward trying to breakdown the blanket, worrying that nobody was left back to sweep.

It was good to see that we did better from our own kickouts yesterday although Tyrone's setup made that a no-brainer.

On the ref – never a black card, probably a yellow for reckless play would have been a harsh red. The penalty was a bad miss, there would have be war if it had changed the result.

I'd like to see COC played on the 40 for a few league games this year – I think he has the vision and passing ability to pull the strings if the FF line make the right kind of runs. I'd like to see him swapping in and out between FF and HF (with Andy / Freeman / AOS / AN Other) to mix up our play a little more.

Not sure about the fitness of all these players but I'd like to see something like this for the Monaghan game:

Clarke
Caff      Keane      Higgins
Durcan      Barrett      Hall
   Barry        Parsons
Vaughan   COC      Gallagher
Doc      Freeman/ AN Other   Sweeney

Mano

Watched that excuse for a football match yesterday and it was truly awful. Tyrone tactics were Donegalesque - 15 men behind the ball most of the time. All the fouls by Tyrone players and Aidan O'Shea got the black card for an exaggerated dive by Morgan. Mayo reverted to type also lateral passing, unwillingness to shoot until eventually O'Connor was sprung from the bench. It was clear for all to see that the 2 small fellas Ronadson and Conroy were not going to get any joy with the Tyrone quilt.

Jeepers Creepers

There was about 10 fouls in very passage of play from both teams. Some of the shooting was abysmal. Poor football all round.

LeoMc

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 09, 2015, 11:02:56 AM
Congrats to Tyrone Monaghan. Poor performance and result for Mayo Tyrone though, shouldn't be getting beaten like that at home. That said, it's the first week of February and too early to over-react

Could have done with you coming onto the Tyrone v Monaghan thread last week.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: LeoMc on February 09, 2015, 11:10:29 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 09, 2015, 11:02:56 AM
Congrats to Tyrone Monaghan. Poor performance and result for Mayo Tyrone though, shouldn't be getting beaten like that at home. That said, it's the first week of February and too early to over-react

Could have done with you coming onto the Tyrone v Monaghan thread last week.

HA!
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

nrico2006

Quote from: Mano on February 09, 2015, 11:04:50 AM
Watched that excuse for a football match yesterday and it was truly awful. Tyrone tactics were Donegalesque - 15 men behind the ball most of the time. All the fouls by Tyrone players and Aidan O'Shea got the black card for an exaggerated dive by Morgan. Mayo reverted to type also lateral passing, unwillingness to shoot until eventually O'Connor was sprung from the bench. It was clear for all to see that the 2 small fellas Ronadson and Conroy were not going to get any joy with the Tyrone quilt.

O'Shea should have got a straight red.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

muppet

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on February 09, 2015, 11:07:22 AM
There was about 10 fouls in very passage of play from both teams. Some of the shooting was abysmal. Poor football all round.

I agree, but in fairness to the ref the game is often beyond handling by the officials. Every challenge is a foul matched by overcharging, ever decision is disputed by everyone and every flashpoint has 10 lads from both teams charging in.

As for AOS, he was in the air before the ball left Morgan's hands. Tyrone players had previously handed him two similar soft interceptions. For those who don't know their physics he can't change direction in the air. If it was rugby even the French crowd wouldn't have looked for a penalty for that.
MWWSI 2017

Man Marker

The O Shea incident is not a red card nor a black card, a yellow should have been the accurate penalty. I watched it a number of times last night and he was in the air trying to block down the ball, his natural momentum, and that of Morgan's momentum where both were going forward, resulted in o Shea hitting Morgan, there was no deliberate intent to hit Morgan.

Tubberman

Quote from: Man Marker on February 09, 2015, 11:51:43 AM
The O Shea incident is not a red card nor a black card, a yellow should have been the accurate penalty. I watched it a number of times last night and he was in the air trying to block down the ball, his natural momentum, and that of Morgan's momentum where both were going forward, resulted in o Shea hitting Morgan, there was no deliberate intent to hit Morgan.

I don't see why it's even a yellow in that case. A genuine attempt to intercept the ball and the two players collide.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 09, 2015, 11:44:36 AM
Quote from: Mano on February 09, 2015, 11:04:50 AM

O'Shea should have got a straight red.

Tyrone are going nowhere if that's how soft they've become

BennyHarp

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 11:48:06 AM

I agree, but in fairness to the ref the game is often beyond handling by the officials. Every challenge is a foul matched by overcharging, ever decision is disputed by everyone and every flashpoint has 10 lads from both teams charging in.

As for AOS, he was in the air before the ball left Morgan's hands. Tyrone players had previously handed him two similar soft interceptions. For those who don't know their physics he can't change direction in the air. If it was rugby even the French crowd wouldn't have looked for a penalty for that.

Ah come on - people may not know their physics but if they know their football then they will know that Aiden O'Shea knew exactly what he was doing and followed through with force. This is another of those sneaky fouls like dragging someone down by their arm as they tackle you and when perfected can fool the referees and supporters alike. However, from my admittedly baffled understanding of the the black card rule - it wasn't a black card........Morgan wasn't taken out of the play a la the AI club final incident last year as he wasn't stopped from getting involved in the next phase of play. A yellow card would have sufficed in my opinion. The rules are becoming more and more untidy and frustrating to players, refs and supporters, it's becoming near on impossible to ref this sport in a consistent way.
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 09, 2015, 12:54:27 PM

Ah come on - people may not know their physics but if they know their football then they will know that Aiden O'Shea knew exactly what he was doing and followed through with force. This is another of those sneaky fouls like dragging someone down by their arm as they tackle you and when perfected can fool the referees and supporters alike. However, from my admittedly baffled understanding of the the black card rule - it wasn't a black card........Morgan wasn't taken out of the play a la the AI club final incident last year as he wasn't stopped from getting involved in the next phase of play. A yellow card would have sufficed in my opinion. The rules are becoming more and more untidy and frustrating to players, refs and supporters, it's becoming near on impossible to ref this sport in a consistent way.

I would agree it is a foul. If you jump in anticipation of a handpass and land on the player with the ball it is careless, unless you think there was intent, in which case it is a yellow. I do believe he jumped for the ball though, remember he had just intercepted two handpasses before that. Once in the air he had no choice where to land. That is what I meant by the physics.

But I agree it is no black card, unless you are Marty Duffy.
MWWSI 2017

sensethetone

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 01:06:35 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 09, 2015, 12:54:27 PM

I would agree it is a foul. If you jump in anticipation of a handpass and land on the player with the ball it is careless, unless you think there was intent, in which case it is a yellow. I do believe he jumped for the ball though, remember he had just intercepted two handpasses before that. Once in the air he had no choice where to land. That is what I meant by the physics.

But I agree it is no black card, unless you are Marty Duffy.
I think the ref had it in his head the next bad tackle i'm sending him off.