Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 08, 2015, 10:14:33 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 10:05:28 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on February 08, 2015, 09:50:38 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 09:23:59 PM

Justin McMahon would love to see him or any other giant we could wheel out coming. Remember him or the brother put Donaghy in his box in 08. We can t handle any big ff (remember the scrios caused by Derry's McGuickin last year in McHale Park) but other counties can. Other counties fear skill and pace rather than size. We just don t have a big 14 that can play and until one emerges we should find another way.

All the top 4/5 counties have both options.
Kerry have donaghy Walsh along with O'Donogue (height and pace)
Dublin - O'Gara along with a myriad of forwards
Donegal - Murphy.McFadden along with Mcbrearty
Tyrone - Seán Cavanagh along with McCurry and Mattie Donnelly
Cork - plenty of guys

Both are needed to offer variation in a game when required. So Mayo probably need them too. Sweeney and Ronaldson won't cut it against the big guns when everyone much fitter and the hits much harder

True and unfortunately neither will Freeman it looks like.  Do you have a big lad in mind? I ve heard Byrne and Irwin mentioned but they might have their hands full at U21 yet.

I don't see any reason not to give Beirne and Irwin a run. I thought Diarmuid O'Connor was quiet today, but he came into the game more and more as it went on. Adam Gallagher worth another gallop or two as well.

In a tactical game like today s even the old hands were like moths drawn into a flame. What chance does a fresher have?
I thought O Connor did ok. So did Hall but he didn t have to play as a corner back and Durcan well able too. A young fella thrown in to lead the attack against Justin McMahon is another proposition but maybe that's just me? Gallagher looked ill at ease in a relatively open game v Kerry but I m sure he ll get more time when his form returns. He was as well to give today a miss :'(

ONeill

Not the type of football I like but Mickey did what was needed to steady the ship and rightly so.

Will this be a blueprint for the rest of the season?

Harte only scored that goal because he's the nephew. Sickening.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

moysider

Quote from: ONeill on February 08, 2015, 11:35:09 PM
Not the type of football I like but Mickey did what was needed to steady the ship and rightly so.

There was a lot to be admired with what Tyrone played today. I saw Harte was getting grief but even without the goal he had a fine game. All the top performances were from Tyrone and its obvious they had a plan and of course we did not.

Justin McMahon was the man. McCarron was very good. McNabb. The system meant Matty Donnelly could do what he wanted and he did. Top player. McCurry was very efficient. Taking him off with 6/7 mins to go was a statement it seemed. Job done. 

BennyHarp

If Tyrone play with Cavanagh, McCurry, Matty Donnelly and Petey Harte up front and retreat the rest then it will do for me. Throw in McAliskey and hopefully Ronan O'Neill as alternatives to these 4 then our options up front are good enough to send 2 men back and hopefully pick teams off on the break. We just don't have the defenders to go toe to toe and anyway, I'm beginning to enjoy the blanket defence jibes again. Brings back nice memories.
That was never a square ball!!

ONeill

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 09, 2015, 12:10:44 AM

If Tyrone play with Cavanagh, McCurry, Matty Donnelly and Petey Harte up front and retreat the rest then it will do for me. Throw in McAliskey and hopefully Ronan O'Neill as alternatives to these 4 then our options up front are good enough to send 2 men back and hopefully pick teams off on the break. We just don't have the defenders to go toe to toe and anyway, I'm beginning to enjoy the blanket defence jibes again. Brings back nice memories.

But Tyrone played with no one up front for a lot of the game.

moysider

I wouldn t mind the jibes if I were you. But you ll find not many teams as silly as we are. The best cure for any team down on its luck is get to play Mayo. I d play Donnelly from back to front like today. Not sure what I d do with Cavanagh. I dunno. At least Keane did not buy his drop the shoulder shuffle. It s not much but at least one Mayoman did a bit of homework.

ONeill

Quote from: moysider on February 09, 2015, 12:20:30 AM

I wouldn t mind the jibes if I were you. But you ll find not many teams as silly as we are. The best cure for any team down on its luck is get to play Mayo. I d play Donnelly from back to front like today. Not sure what I d do with Cavanagh. I dunno. At least Keane did not buy his drop the shoulder shuffle. It s not much but at least one Mayoman did a bit of homework.

What stood out today was the Sean was just another player in that side, not the go-to man. I'd play him on the edge of the square and tell him to stay there. But he won't. He could have a Star Donaghy Indian Summer.

BennyHarp

Quote from: ONeill on February 09, 2015, 12:16:45 AM

But Tyrone played with no one up front for a lot of the game.

But still managed to score enough to win the game. I thought we were controlling the game rather comfortably today and not desperately defending a lead like we have done in the past. Yes, Mayo were poor enough but we never really looked in danger and picked them off at times for great scores by Donnelly, Harte and McCurry. If this is a developing blue print then I'd be happy enough.
That was never a square ball!!

stephenite

I allow people to wallow in their own ignorance if they decide to do that. I have not a problem with that at all," said Harte.

"People can be as they will and think as they will. They have reason to believe and suggest that and let them have their substance for that. I happen to have a different perspective and I'll go with mine.

"Sometimes people give their very best and it does not work out, but life is like that too. Sometimes it is very black and white from people's perspectives and I have to allow people to be as ignorant of the facts as they want to be."

That is brilliant

nrico2006

One thing that is annoying me is the constant mistakes being made by officials - how is it that there are multiple officials (linesmen and umpires) yet they all fail to spot fouls.  The Mayo goal was a square ball and there was also a foul on a Tyrone defender just after Morgan palmed it out.  I remember Colm Cavanagh making a run 10 minutes into the second half and when he got by the 45 he was clearly fouled yet no free given.  There was an even more blatant shove/push in the back of a Tyrone forward near the end too. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

With Tyrone winning yesterday can we expect others to decide that defence is the best form of attack and can we assume that Tyrone will get blamed again for whatever term Spillane dreams up to describe a defensive formation ?.

Tubberman

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 09, 2015, 08:27:14 AM
One thing that is annoying me is the constant mistakes being made by officials - how is it that there are multiple officials (linesmen and umpires) yet they all fail to spot fouls.  The Mayo goal was a square ball and there was also a foul on a Tyrone defender just after Morgan palmed it out.  I remember Colm Cavanagh making a run 10 minutes into the second half and when he got by the 45 he was clearly fouled yet no free given.  There was an even more blatant shove/push in the back of a Tyrone forward near the end too. 

Agree that the officiating just isn't good enough. You gave examples from a Tyrone perspective but there equally as many from a Mayo perspective that were very frustrating.
The main frustration from a Mayo point of view won't be the refereeing though, it will be the clueless nature of our play once we crossed the 45 yesterday. We couldn't find a way through Tyrone's defence and resorted to taking on pot-shots out of frustration.
You'd hope a lot of it was because that the game meant more to Tyrone, who had to put in a big response after their performance against Monaghan, whereas Mayo were happy enough after the win in Killarney.
The game in 3 weeks against Monaghan will tell a lot.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 08, 2015, 09:05:50 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 08, 2015, 08:58:51 PM
Today we scored a total of 1-07. At home.

Yes it is the League and yes I know to all the usual caveats and cliches.

But can anyone remember the last time we scored as little as that against anyone? Only Limerick & The Diese scored less this weekend and they were both away from home.

And the goal was a square ball!  :-\

We won a Connacht final scoring 1-5 back in 1993 in Hyde Park?

What a day that was, every score coming from a Knockmore man
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 09, 2015, 09:53:39 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 08, 2015, 09:05:50 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 08, 2015, 08:58:51 PM
Today we scored a total of 1-07. At home.

Yes it is the League and yes I know to all the usual caveats and cliches.

But can anyone remember the last time we scored as little as that against anyone? Only Limerick & The Diese scored less this weekend and they were both away from home.

And the goal was a square ball!  :-\

We won a Connacht final scoring 1-5 back in 1993 in Hyde Park?

What a day that was, every score coming from a Knockmore man
Typical, mean in every sense... ;)