Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoman dan

Well that was shocking stuff. Some of the Mayo posters on here saying lessons will be learned but they wont be learned and anyways it was hardly a surprise to see Tyrone putting up a blanket.Why we persisted with short kickouts and running the ball il never know.Mayo badly need a plan b.The obvious one would be a target man ff and if its not Freeman then someone else needs to tried.The top teams know that Mayo struggle big time against the packed defence so we need to adapt and fast.Our running game is brilliant when going well but we need to vary it because bar Dublin every team we meet in the championship is going to put up a blanket against us.Managment done themselves no favours either today i mean can they not see that running the ball is not working.A lot of supporters myself included were not happy with their appointment and today has only strengthened that view.

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on February 08, 2015, 06:33:52 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 04:43:31 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 08, 2015, 04:27:35 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2015, 11:30:22 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 06, 2015, 11:23:15 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2015, 09:32:42 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 06, 2015, 09:07:35 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2015, 09:02:48 PM

1.   David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites

2.   Michael Hall - Breaffy

3.   Kevin Keane - Westport

4.   Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis (Capt.)

5.   Lee Keegan - Westport

6.   Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore

7.   Colm Boyle - Davitts

8.   Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy

9.   Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe

10.Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber

11.Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore

12.Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

13.Michael Conroy - Davitts

14.Alan Freeman - Aghamore

15.Mark Ronaldson - Shrule/Glencorrib

Holy feck! ;)

Are you fancying it a bit more now Sráth Bán? ;)

Mayo are taking the piss with that team! Tyrone by 5! 😃

Why? Similar to Killarney team as Miles pointed out.

I don't know who Miles is but Moysider was happy enough.

Actually not a bit surprised by the result today. As you may remember I called it an FBD selection. But I welcomed the chances being given to new lads and Hall, O Connor and Durcan when he came in played well. The trouble set in from experienced players. Vaughan set off the wides rot early. Once Tyrone got their noses in front set up like that there was only going to be one winner.
Miles was me referring to yer own Sráth Bán.

Similar performance from Mayo today as against us in FBD. With two points gained from Kerry away and still three home games to play ye should still stroll into the semi finals.

More likely we ll struggle to survive. We struggle against defensive teams and with Monaghan and Donegal at home more of today s pain may have to be endured. Then there s The Dubs visiting as well. That s hardly a gimmie either. The away games are Derry and Cork.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 08, 2015, 06:40:27 PM
Well that was shocking stuff. Some of the Mayo posters on here saying lessons will be learned but they wont be learned and anyways it was hardly a surprise to see Tyrone putting up a blanket.Why we persisted with short kickouts and running the ball il never know.Mayo badly need a plan b.The obvious one would be a target man ff and if its not Freeman then someone else needs to tried.The top teams know that Mayo struggle big time against the packed defence so we need to adapt and fast.Our running game is brilliant when going well but we need to vary it because bar Dublin every team we meet in the championship is going to put up a blanket against us.Managment done themselves no favours either today i mean can they not see that running the ball is not working.A lot of supporters myself included were not happy with their appointment and today has only strengthened that view.

I had no problem with the short kickouts myself. Mostly we carried the ball well enough. And we created plenty of chances - including 2 goal chances - but our shooting was muck. I still think if we had taken our early chances we would have won with a bit to spare. As it worked out they could sit back and pick us off.
It would have been a waste of time kicking the ball. Maybe a Donaghy, O Gara and Michael Murphy might challenge Justin McMahon but Alan Freeman wouldn t if he was there yet.

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 06:50:10 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on February 08, 2015, 06:40:27 PM

I had no problem with the short kickouts myself. Mostly we carried the ball well enough. And we created plenty of chances - including 2 goal chances - but our shooting was muck. I still think if we had taken our early chances we would have won with a bit to spare. As it worked out they could sit back and pick us off.
It would have been a waste of time kicking the ball. Maybe a Donaghy, O Gara and Michael Murphy might challenge Justin McMahon but Alan Freeman wouldn t if he was there yet.

Someone else needs to be tried at full forward or play an extra defender and go with a 2 man ff line.Theres lots of problems that need addressing Moysider and i dont have much faith in the management to address them

moysider

For what its worth neither do I.

Continuing with Freeman in most circumstances is a luxury we cannot afford after seeing these last couple of games. Probably time to move on. The reality is we don t have anybody to do the big target man thing. An aggressive dog like O Gara ( I mean that as a compliment btw) would do but there isn t one. But there are other ways.

Our running game today did create chances but we need to get the right guys pulling the trigger and not likes of Vaughan. That can be worked on. It didn t happpen by accident that Oisín McConville did most of the shooting for Cross. That was the plan. If fit Jason Gibbons a better midfield option than Vaughan.

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 07:06:49 PM

For what its worth neither do I.

Continuing with Freeman in most circumstances is a luxury we cannot afford after seeing these last couple of games. Probably time to move on. The reality is we don t have anybody to do the big target man thing. An aggressive dog like O Gara ( I mean that as a compliment btw) would do but there isn t one. But there are other ways.

Our running game today did create chances but we need to get the right guys pulling the trigger and not likes of Vaughan. That can be worked on. It didn t happpen by accident that Oisín McConville did most of the shooting for Cross. That was the plan. If fit Jason Gibbons a better midfield option than Vaughan.

Personally id have Parsons with Seamus but then we get back to what to do with Vaughan.Hes too good not to start do we name him ff in place of Freeman and go with 2 inside and have an extra defender and runner from deep????????

moysider

I would most of the time anyway. 

Wouldn t overcome the problerm of the blanket in itself though. Our biggest problem today was converting fairy easy chances from play and dead balls. Tyrone would have seen us run through Kerry last week and were not going to let us walk through them.
The squeezed us like they did in AI semi in 2013 and we squealed again today. But we had chances today.

A few positives over the 2 games. Both Hall and Durcan look at home at this level.

Over the Bar

Surely O'Shea's on Morgan could only be deemed as either an accident (no sanction)  or dangerous play (yellow card).  Can anyone explain why a black card was shown? 

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 07:29:40 PM

Wouldn t overcome the problerm of the blanket in itself though. Our biggest problem today was converting fairy easy chances from play and dead balls. Tyrone would have seen us run through Kerry last week and were not going to let us walk through them.
The squeezed us like they did in AI semi in 2013 and we squealed again today. But we had chances today.

A few positives over the 2 games. Both Hall and Durcan look at home at this level.

I thought Keane did well too looks to be a real option at 3

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on February 08, 2015, 07:31:34 PM

Hopefully.
He has looked good at times in the past as well.

Nihilist

I think it's too early to be lauding Keane and Hall as being capable for this level. Especially on today's game. Most of the time neither had anyone to mark because of the the blanket defense. I think both their cards should be marked diferently -  Keane against the likes of Donaghy, O'Gara or Murphy. Mark Hall against the likes of a near the top Dublin corner fw e.g. McMenamon, Brogan, McBrearty etc.

Durcan - yes - he does look a viable option but again wait until he has to mark say Paul Flynn, Donochadh Walsh or if you like check him out against Connolly. He is the yardstick for a 1/2 back

moysider

Quote from: Nihilist on February 08, 2015, 07:58:27 PM

I think it's too early to be lauding Keane and Hall as being capable for this level. Especially on today's game. Most of the time neither had anyone to mark because of the the blanket defense. I think both their cards should be marked diferently -  Keane against the likes of Donaghy, O'Gara or Murphy. Mark Hall against the likes of a near the top Dublin corner fw e.g. McMenamon, Brogan, McBrearty etc.

Durcan - yes - he does look a viable option but again wait until he has to mark say Paul Flynn, Donochadh Walsh or if you like check him out against Connolly. He is the yardstick for a 1/2 back

Hall is 19/20 and has quality. I think he s a wing back anyway and will be interesting to see can he play cb. Durcan can play too.
Keane is mid 20s now and the issue here is pace and summer pitches.

Missed the Pateen interview after game on midwest radio.I m told he said he had never come across this ultra negative set up before!
It seems management hadn t prepared for this!! If this is true, all I can say is 'Oh dear'

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on February 08, 2015, 08:13:02 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on February 08, 2015, 07:58:27 PM

Hall is 19/20 and has quality. I think he s a wing back anyway and will be interesting to see can he play cb. Durcan can play too.
Keane is mid 20s now and the issue here is pace and summer pitches.

Missed the Pateen interview after game on midwest radio.I m told he said he had never come across this ultra negative set up before!
It seems management hadn t prepared for this!! If this is true, all I can say is 'Oh dear'

Very worrying.Mickey Harte is a master tactician but he done nothing new or out of the ordinary today.The next few weeks will be interesting thats for sure

larryin89

" oh dear "

Well its either they are playing the clever thick or they are thick.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

We missed Chris Barrett's tenacity at the back.

If that's true moy, regarding management's 'mishandling of the situation' then I do despair.

From the Bunker, I love your 'learning' in February-type mindset, yet how come we have to learn every February? I said before some of the older players, McL, AOS, Vaughan etc need to stand up and start doing stuff on the field. Otherwise it could be a painful year for us. I wonder how many of the forwards spend time taking frees apart from Cillian?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.