Mayo v Tyrone Sunday 8th February 2015

Started by Redhand Santa, February 02, 2015, 10:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 05, 2015, 02:24:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2015, 02:15:17 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 05, 2015, 01:04:46 PM
Quote from: Chimley on February 05, 2015, 11:33:05 AM
It'll be interesting to see the Mayo team for this one. They'll be anxious to win at home and I think they seem to have an eye on the league (listening to post match comments). It would take a bit of pressure off the championship if there is a medal in your pocket already. Having said that, Holmes has been there before, and all the league medals in the world won't be any good if we relinquish our Connacht title tamely.

I'm not sure that it would, the league is nice to win but like you say a league title wouldn't rank as high as a Connacht title
Why not? Connacht teams rarely win the league.
There is always one team that wins the Connacht championship every year, by comparison.

Yeah the provincial championships can often be won simply be being the least worst team in a province in any year -  in some cases they are not that far off being participation trophies.

Just my personal view - if I was given a choice, I'd rather Mayo to win Connacht than the league. Perhaps because it's a stepping stone to the AI

rosnarun

Why do people think its a choice between one or the other.
very few teams apart from kerry can switch on and off
look at donegal 2013 a poor league followed by humiliation by mayo in Croke park
a top team has to keep their standards up at all times
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

macdanger2

Quote from: rosnarun on February 05, 2015, 03:34:38 PM
Why do people think its a choice between one or the other.
very few teams apart from kerry can switch on and off
look at donegal 2013 a poor league followed by humiliation by mayo in Croke park
a top team has to keep their standards up at all times

It's not a choice between one and the other but in a hypothetical world where there was such a choice........

You're right though - a good league doesn't necessarily mean a good championship but a bad league usually means a bad championship

Mayo4Sam

It's worrying when you hear the likes of Canavan on OTB questioning Tyrone (although not Mickey) means that we're due an almighty lash back and of course Mayo flying high are due a nice trip back to Earth. All set up for a tyrone win
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

It'll be interesting to see the Mayo team for this one. They'll be anxious to win at home and I think they seem to have an eye on the league (listening to post match comments). It would take a bit of pressure off the championship if there is a medal in your pocket already. Having said that, Holmes has been there before, and all the league medals in the world won't be any good if we relinquish our Connacht title tamely.
o

I'm not sure that it would, the league is nice to win but like you say a league title wouldn't rank as high as a Connacht title
There is always one team that wins the Connacht championship every year, by comparison.

Yeah the provincial championships can often be won simply be being the least worst team in a province in any year -  in some cases they are not that far off being participation trophies.
i wouldn't rate a provincial championship. Ros won connacht in 2001 but failed afterwards. I think a league would have been more impressive.

twohands!!!

Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2015, 04:10:30 PM
o

i wouldn't rate a provincial championship. Ros won connacht in 2001 but failed afterwards. I think a league would have been more impressive.

Get a draw on the soft side of a provincial championship and come up on against a side that has an off day in

On a related point can anyone explain the logic in having 4 different provincial councils nowadays - you can see the point when the GAA was set up and people were travelling by horse and cart and there wasnt a telephone in the land, but in this day and age it surely represents a horrendous waste of money in terms of staffing and administration cosys given the amount of duplication having four different provincial councils in place must lead to.

Farrandeelin

Mayo team to be named tomorrow night. Hard to see much changes really apart from Conroy on for Regan from the word go this time. That's my own tuppence worth. Oh and Adam Gallagher wasn't impressive the last day either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2015, 04:10:30 PM
o

We won the league in 2001 and failed afterwards  :'( :'( :'( :'(

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 05, 2015, 05:32:17 PM
Mayo team to be named tomorrow night. Hard to see much changes really apart from Conroy on for Regan from the word go this time. That's my own tuppence worth. Oh and Adam Gallagher wasn't impressive the last day either.

What about Cillian O Connor Farr?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on February 05, 2015, 06:32:09 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 05, 2015, 05:32:17 PM

What about Cillian O Connor Farr?

Yeah, wasn't thinking straight, he could do a job at 11 perhaps? Also pending on how fit AOS is he might start.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Tyrone team v Mayo Allianz Football League 8.2.15

1 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc

2 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin

3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin

4 – Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór

5 – Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mór

6 – Mattie Donnelly – Trí Leac

7 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin

8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh

9 – Padraig McNulty – Dún Geanainn

10 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair

11 – Ronan O Neill – An Omaigh

12 – Peter Hughes  – Eiscreach

13 – Darren McCurry – Éadan na dTorc

14 – Sean Cavanagh © – An Mhaigh

15 – Niall McKenna – An Domhnach Mór

16 – Michael O'Neill – Cluain Eo

17 – Rory Brennan – Trí Leac

18 – PJ Lavery – Cluain Eo

19 – Connor McAliskey – Cluain Eo

20 – Danny McBride – An Srath Bán

21 – Conall McCann – Coill an Chochair

22 – Shay McGuigan – Ard Bó

23 – Emmett McKenna – Eaglais

24 – Ryan McKenna – Eaglais

25 – Justin McMahon – An Omaigh

26 – Cathal McShane – E R Uí Néill
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

With two exceptions (Peter Harte in for Barry Tierney, and Tiernán Mc Cann in for PJ Lavery), the lads who capitulated so submissively on Saturday evening last (after 20 minutes), have a chance at Castlebar redemption.

Here's beseeching them to take it, though easy it surely won't be! :)

moysider

Strong team. I was expecting Justin to start though.

I think McCurry scored a couple of goals against us last year so we re forewarned there. Keith will be picking him up.
Keane was given mom v Kerry but Cavanagh is a massive challenge. Hopefully he s up to it and this is exactly the kind of test our fb needs now. I d rate Mattie Donnelly very highly as a 6 (what is his best position?) and we need our 11 (whether it s Gallagher or somebody else) to be more imposing in this game. I d start Aido at 11 now. Might not be able to chase too good but might keep Donnelly defensive?

ONeill

Yep...he's saying 'you got us into this mess'......

Makes a difference from last year when there was a lot of chopping.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: moysider on February 05, 2015, 10:13:31 PM
Strong team. I was expecting Justin to start though.

I think McCurry scored a couple of goals against us last year so we re forewarned there. Keith will be picking him up.
Keane was given mom v Kerry but Cavanagh is a massive challenge. Hopefully he s up to it and this is exactly the kind of test our fb needs now. I d rate Mattie Donnelly very highly as a 6 (what is his best position?) and we need our 11 (whether it s Gallagher or somebody else) to be more imposing in this game. I d start Aido at 11 now. Might not be able to chase too good but might keep Donnelly defensive?

I think most Tyronies would prefer to see Mattie on the half-forward line moysider, where we feel he could do more damage. He can still be a handful from number 6, but personally I would prefer to see him to the fore of midfield.