Kerry v Mayo NFL D1; Round 1

Started by Farrandeelin, January 28, 2015, 05:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimley

I wouldn't be surprised to see Douglas get a run here. Did very well in his only outing in the FBD.

moysider

Lyons must be late developer? Can't remember seeing him before? Still U21 too. Certainly has speed but mightn't t have enough size yet.
Douglas played a roving linking role v NUIG rather than cf position and it seems to suit him more.

rosnarun

its great if they are looking at lads that may not have been star underage players . if you get one starter from that it would be well worthwhile. there a slight danger of the Guys we know and well going Stale as they seem to be hitting their head off a Glass ceiling for the last 4 years.
new blood is always needed .
Wonder if cathal carolan is on his way Back? add a lot of direct pace we are short of up front
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

Quote from: rosnarun on January 29, 2015, 01:44:42 PM
its great if they are looking at lads that may not have been star underage players . if you get one starter from that it would be well worthwhile. there a slight danger of the Guys we know and well going Stale as they seem to be hitting their head off a Glass ceiling for the last 4 years.
new blood is always needed .
Wonder if cathal carolan is on his way Back? add a lot of direct pace we are short of up front

Yes he made an impression in 2013. I'd like to see him back.
MWWSI 2017

Blowitupref

Quote from: moysider on January 28, 2015, 09:43:30 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on January 28, 2015, 09:22:53 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 28, 2015, 08:48:36 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 28, 2015, 05:51:25 PM
No win situation for Mayo. As in win the match and it won't matter a jot in Aigust (when we can't beat them), lose it and can't beat Kerry's second/third string side.

A win is two points and a step away from relegation; so a win is important imo. Nothing to do with last August or any August afaic. We ve beaten them below in the league before.

Anyway the new management have to forget about August. Last time they never saw August. They have plenty to do before they can start thinking about August.

Anybody know who is available for this gig? We seem to be defo. without Cillian  (according to Mayo News, he s suspended*), Dillon and Andy.
Higgins, Aido, Caff, Conroy and Parsons all doubtful with injuries. Have we seen Cunniffe back yet?

We could have a second/third string out as well 'deelin.
So Mayo missing about 4 or 5 starters while Kerry will be without 9 or 10 starters. 4 wins from 7 is normally enough for semi final spot something this Mayo panel will surely target again.

Not sure it's been a target. It seems that we often end up in league semis and finals and then perform like we wish we weren t there in the first place. Last year's Derry game being a classic case.
If the new management's campaign ended so badly I m not sure they could recover the season. Horan had 3 solid championships under his belt and a bad league semi wasn t as damaging as it might have been.

Under James Horan Mayo developed a similar pattern of losing games when 2 or more goals was conceded. Kildare,Tyrone,Derry in the league last year. The 2012,2013 All Ireland finals was lost because 2 goals was conceded.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

The #mayogaa XV: Hennelly, S Coen, Keane, Higgins, Keegan, Barrett, Durcan, SOS, Vaughan, McL, Gallagher, Doherty, Regan, Freeman, Ronaldson
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Kerry team named:
1.      Brendan Kealy               Kilcummin
2.      Pa Kilkenny                   Glenbeigh/Glencar
3.      Mark Griffin                    St Michaels/Foilmore           
4.      Shane Enright                Tarbert
5.      Jonathan Lyne                Killarney Legion
6.      Fionn Fitzgerald              Dr Crokes
7.      Paul Murphy                    Rathmore
8.      David Moran  (C)                   Kerins O'Rahillys
9.      Bryan Sheehan                      St Marys
10.  Michael Geaney                     Dingle
11.  Kieran O'Leary                       Dr Crokes
12.  Johnny Buckley                      Dr Crokes
13.  Stephen O'Brien                    Kenmare
14.  Paul Geaney                           Dingle
15.  Barry John Keane                  Kerins O'Rahillys

Fir Ionaid:
16.  Shane Murphy                       Kilcummin
17.  Jack Sherwood                       Firies             
18.  DaithI Casey                           Dr Crokes
19.  Tommy Walsh                                    Kerins O'Rahillys
20.  Padraig Ó Conchúir               Dingle
21.  Thomas Hickey                       Desmonds
22.  Philip O'Connor                     Cordal
23.  Alan Fitzgerald                       Castlegregory
24.  Jack Maguire                          Listowel Emmets       
25.  Conor Keane                          Killarney Legion

Strong enough selection. Fitness will be scatty though. Few of them played Sigerson during the week aswell.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

muppet

Quote from: Tubberman on January 29, 2015, 09:31:41 PM
The #mayogaa XV: Hennelly, S Coen, Keane, Higgins, Keegan, Barrett, Durcan, SOS, Vaughan, McL, Gallagher, Doherty, Regan, Freeman, Ronaldson

3 forwards get a chance to stake a claim. 2 pseudo-regulars and a nailed on starter with them. Midfield should be fine but it will be interesting to see who picks up Moran.

Barrett at 6 is small but then if O'Leary starts there, height won't be the issue.

Good to see Coen and Durcan get a chance against the Champions. Keane looked quite a player until that 10 minutes against Donegal set him a long way back. He could still have something to offer though as he is a good footballer. Anyone know the subs?
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on January 29, 2015, 09:31:41 PM

Like the look of that and good to see young blood get a start and Ronaldson a restart.
Kerry have named a strong team and we may be a bit lightweight overall but I m looking forward to how we perform and how we go about it tactically. I expect our morale will be good and I doubt there will be any hangover from the unfortunate events of last autumn.

Farrandeelin

Like  other Mayo posters, I'm happy with the team. Midfield crucial, and that includes both half backs and half forwards too. Good to see Regan and Ronaldson in the ff line. Glad P Durcan getting a run out too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

REDCOL

Lads, hope you will be happy with the team come Sunday evening. I have seen more pace in Junior B Full Back lines apart from Keith obviously. Maybe they will swap Chris Barrett and Stephen Coen but pace is a prerequisite for modern Full Back Lines.

moysider

Quote from: REDCOL on January 29, 2015, 10:30:05 PM
Lads, hope you will be happy with the team come Sunday evening. I have seen more pace in Junior B Full Back lines apart from Keith obviously. Maybe they will swap Chris Barrett and Stephen Coen but pace is a prerequisite for modern Full Back Lines.

Just text that possible  switch of Coen and Barrett to a friend only minutes ago. Yeah, I would share your concern about the fullback line and pace.
Looks like the idea of Vaughan as a fb has been abandoned - for now anyway. Keane gets another shot there and you d have to wonder at this stage though if he is the answer. He is not going to get any faster. Coen's game is not about pace either.

Kerry have named a strong team and we may struggle with the young team we have out. But it s early days and good to see new names freshening things up and hopefully pushing older lads later. A win would be a bonus here. A good performance and a good showing of hunger and some cleverness on the line would be encouraging.

macdanger2

The only way to account for lack of pace in the fb line (other than switching) is dropping an extra man or two back deep to help, any chance of that being on the cards?

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 29, 2015, 10:58:34 PM

The only way to account for lack of pace in the fb line (other than switching) is dropping an extra man or two back deep to help, any chance of that being on the cards?

Hard to know. We ll have to wait and see how this management likes to set things up. But hard to see an extra defender in that selection unless a half back sits ( maybe Barrett) and McLoughlin plays in hb line. But the full forward line are pretty much out and out fforwards and in the event of playing an extra defender one would have to play deeper. I don t think anybody wants to see Ronaldson play the grafting role again that Johnno thought was a good idea. While it is good to see the three inside forwards selected, it is hard to see it have a future. It is easier to defend against and it can leave you vulnerable in defence.

Farrandeelin

I must add that I would have liked to see Crowe and/or Douglas named. Perhaps from the bench they might have some impact.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.