Sigerson 2015

Started by Any craic, January 27, 2015, 10:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: INDIANA on February 08, 2015, 06:07:06 PM
Quote from: ck on February 08, 2015, 01:59:07 PM
ITSligo were guilty of a very genuine but admittedly a very stupid mistake whereas Queen's seemed to be fully aware of what they were doing but as a point of principle played their players as they believe them to be legal and have issue with the Stranmillis ruling based on the fact that Stranmillis is part of Queens and they hold QUB student cards. The fact that a GAA club has been set up in Stranmillis has made things very difficult for Queens.
Despite my ITS loyalties I personally believe both teams have received what they deserve however it would appear harsh when we see other colleges break rules year after year without any reprimand. It is for this reason I believe Sigerson cup days are numbered which is an awful shame.

No they didn't. SU President is essentially being  a pro footballer for a year. Universities football is now a joke. It ceased being a proper competition a long time ago. Just an arms race now.

In case it evaded your attention, a team of all genuine students from UCC won the competition last year.

The nature of third level these days means there will always be a few cases of dubious eligibility every now and then. It is still a fantastic competition and this stone-minded attitude of "Sigerson is a farce, end of" is just baffling to be honest.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

A lad who has a full time job totally unrelated to football is as far from a pro footballer as you can get. As I said before, Doak was freshers manager last year and as well as that he was also vice-president of ITSSU. Hardly a hired gun in college for a jolly and to play Sigerson.

Ridiculous thing to say, Indiana.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on February 08, 2015, 07:12:05 PM
A lad who has a full time job totally unrelated to football is as far from a pro footballer as you can get. As I said before, Doak was freshers manager last year and as well as that he was also vice-president of ITSSU. Hardly a hired gun in college for a jolly and to play Sigerson.

So has he a full time job or is he a student??!!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on February 08, 2015, 10:36:34 PM

The whole idea of a sabbatical officer is that they are students that are temporarily delaying the rest of their studies to fulfil one of the major SU roles.  I don't know what your point is but it seems to stem from misunderstanding what a sabbatical officer is - they have a full-time job but they are still a student.

ck

Both. Doak is our SU president. He was also Vice President last year. He is also in final year of a Pg diploma which is why our officers thought he was eligible. His sabbatical role meant he was ineligible.
Our appeal is being heard tomorrow night.

Syferus

He's actively doing the course this year? That changes things. Can see a real case for it being over-turned. Sigerson team was training there Friday morning, I guess they have to keep preparing as if they're playing the UCC game.

CSC

Quote from: ck on February 08, 2015, 11:42:46 PM

Both. Doak is our SU president. He was also Vice President last year. He is also in final year of a Pg diploma which is why our officers thought he was eligible. His sabbatical role meant he was ineligible.
Our appeal is being heard tomorrow night.

"He is also in final year of a Pg [/b] diploma" This could potentially change things, as we could now be in the infamous gray area of the GAA rule book. I believe the spirit of the sabbatical rule was inspired by the famous QUB (& Antrim) "professional" sabbatical officer, who was an officer for a number of years and was playing Sigerson well into his 20's. If this guy is a student and sabbatical officer, then he should be eligible to play due to his studies (as long as this was not his 4th or 5th diploma.

CSC

Quote from: rrhf on February 08, 2015, 04:57:16 PM
My fear is that recruiting players from lesser colleges ie Stranmillis or so Marys etc.  Could really dilute the value and prestige of qub as a university.  If they are not careful they could be declassified to polytechnic level and there's a big kip out the road with that market cornered already.

Got to love this post. Classic QUB. Queens caught getting up to shenanigans, then try to deflect attention onto UUJ.

After all these years, QUB are still trying to find true north on the moral compass

Any craic

Video: See Man of the Moment Jack McCaffrey run riot for UCD in the Sigerson Cup, scoring and making points. Big John Heslin isn't bad either and Athlone were unlucky when a shot crashed off the bar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VazH_PLWc7w

Old yeller

ITSligo were guilty of a very genuine but admittedly a very stupid mistake whereas Queen's seemed to be fully aware of what they were doing but as a point of principle played their players as they believe them to be legal and have issue with the Stranmillis ruling based on the fact that Stranmillis is part of Queens and they hold QUB student cards. The fact that a GAA club has been set up in Stranmillis has made things very difficult for Queens.
Despite my ITS loyalties I personally believe both teams have received what they deserve however it would appear harsh when we see other colleges break rules year after year without any reprimand. It is for this reason I believe Sigerson cup days are numbered which is an awful shame.

No they didn't. SU President is essentially being  a pro footballer for a year. Universities football is now a joke. It ceased being a proper competition a long time ago. Just an arms race now.
+1
Its a very long season aswell,  so much for stopping player burnout! It has gotten too big if ya ask me.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Old yeller on February 09, 2015, 08:49:13 PM

+1
Its a very long season aswell,  so much for stopping player burnout! It has gotten too big if ya ask me.

"A very long season"??? The Sigerson started on January 27th this year and the final is February 21st...3rd level is NOT the problem when it comes to burnout.

screenexile

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 09, 2015, 09:57:01 PM
Quote from: Old yeller on February 09, 2015, 08:49:13 PM

+1

"A very long season"??? The Sigerson started on January 27th this year and the final is February 21st...3rd level is NOT the problem when it comes to burnout.

Ryan Cup? Provincial pre season competitions as well don't forget. They don't just rock up for one month!!

ck

The ITS appeal will be heard tonight in Croke Park

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: ck on February 10, 2015, 10:12:44 AM
The ITS appeal will be heard tonight in Croke Park

Surely they aren't going to go ahead and have Sligo playing in Cork tomorrow if the appeal is successful? When will it be held in that case..Thursday/Friday?
Doubtful it will succeed anyway.