St. Mary's v DCU

Thursday February 12

UL v IT Carlow

UCD v GMIT

Has the semi finals been set?

I think it's:

UCC/Sligo v Carlow/UL
UCD/GMIT v DCU/Mary's.

CK, any white smoke from Croke park on this fiasco yet?

Yes fiasco over. ITS have been thrown out of Sigerson.
I can't comment any further as I'm probably the biggest critic of colleges with illegal players and I think Sigerson seriously needs cleaned up. If this is a step towards that then it'll be a good thing.

Syferus

I'll comment. It's the dictiontionary definition of ridculious. A majority of the colleges that have won this competition in the last decade should have been thrown out if this absolutely and clearly honest mistake warrants this punishment. Other colleges have gotten away with far worse and purposeful rule-breaking.

The Sigerson has lost all credibility in my eyes now.

ck

Quote from: Syferus on February 05, 2015, 01:27:08 PM
I'll comment. It's the dictiontionary definition of ridculious. A majority of the colleges that have won this competition in the last decade should have been thrown out if this absolutely and clearly honest mistake warrants this punishment. Other colleges have gotten away with far worse and purposeful rule-breaking.

Would agree with all of that. Feel very sad for ITS players who have put in so much work this year. I have been disillusioned with Sigerson for a long time now and it looks set to continue.

DuffleKing

Quote from: ck on February 05, 2015, 01:35:21 PM

Would agree with all of that. Feel very sad for ITS players who have put in so much work this year. I have been disillusioned with Sigerson for a long time now and it looks set to continue.

What was the honest mistake Or the eligibility issue?

screenexile

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 05, 2015, 02:01:43 PM

Think they played a University Officer rather than a student.

Was McGourty not an officer for Queens a few years back and he played on? The whole thing is a farce!!

Why is this competition taken so seriously at all? As the man said teams have no ground and no fans and it should only really be a kickabout for a bit of craic. It's not like College sport in America which is taken very seriously by all involved with the College including a huge Alumni following.

When I was at Uni there were a fair few lads who were good enough but didn't bother as they had no real affinity for the University. Sure the Poly is a big chicken factory what grá could you have for the place.

Freshers and Undergrad students under 24 should be all that are allowed to play end of story!

twohands!!!

Quote from: screenexile on February 05, 2015, 02:14:51 PM

Was McGourty not an officer for Queens a few years back and he played on? The whole thing is a farce!!

Why is this competition taken so seriously at all? As the man said teams have no ground and no fans and it should only really be a kickabout for a bit of craic. It's not like College sport in America which is taken very seriously by all involved with the College including a huge Alumni following.

When I was at Uni there were a fair few lads who were good enough but didn't bother as they had no real affinity for the University. Sure the Poly is a big chicken factory what grá could you have for the place.

Freshers and Undergrad students under 24 should be all that are allowed to play end of story!

The thing is that it suits some folk to make the Sigerson as "professional" as possible, especially some of the university employees. I think they should actually do away with the league competition and keep the Sigerson as a simple direct knock-out (which will keep folk from taking it too seriously)

Totally agree with the idea that is should be undergrad students only and I'd go as far as that i should say that you should only be eligible to play for one institution in your lifetime.

DuffleKing

Quote from: screenexile on February 05, 2015, 02:14:51 PM

That's sabbatical officers / elected students?  They could play at a time but think the purge that brought in the 6 yearand two course limit ended that as well.

Every college in the country would have sabbaticals that they presumably don't play?  There's a big presumption in the current climate!

screenexile

Quote from: ck on February 05, 2015, 01:20:16 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 04, 2015, 10:06:06 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on February 04, 2015, 09:42:56 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 04, 2015, 07:17:35 PM
Quarter final fixtures

Wednesday, February 11

UCC v IT Sligo

St. Mary's v DCU

Thursday February 12

UL v IT Carlow

UCD v GMIT

I think it's:

UCC/Sligo v Carlow/UL
UCD/GMIT v DCU/Mary's.

I can't comment any further as I'm probably the biggest critic of colleges with illegal players and I think Sigerson seriously needs cleaned up. If this is a step towards that then it'll be a good thing.

ITS and QUB both horsed out of it!! Joke. . .

Bingo

Any college getting players in purely to play sigerson should have a serious look at themselves.

Any student going to college purely to play sigerson should have a serious look at themselves.

A good competition that could be played to a decent standard in the right spirit but seems to have lost its way amidst scholarships, desire to play at Intercounty level and packed squads of intercounty stars.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Bingo on February 05, 2015, 03:45:23 PM
Any college getting players in purely to play sigerson should have a serious look at themselves.

Any student going to college purely to play sigerson should have a serious look at themselves.

A good competition that could be played to a decent standard in the right spirit but seems to have lost its way amidst scholarships, desire to play at Intercounty level and packed squads of intercounty stars.

Fair point - the competition should only be for non-county players and try and give all colleges an equal playing field...give fringe players the chance to catch the eye of county managers...could be put in at a different date in the calendar....as it stands it is becoming a farce
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Captain Obvious

Quote from: screenexile on February 05, 2015, 03:21:23 PM
Quote from: ck on February 05, 2015, 01:20:16 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 04, 2015, 10:06:06 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on February 04, 2015, 09:42:56 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 04, 2015, 07:17:35 PM
Quarter final fixtures

Wednesday, February 11

UCC v IT Sligo

St. Mary's v DCU

Thursday February 12

UL v IT Carlow

UCD v GMIT

I think it's:

UCC/Sligo v Carlow/UL
UCD/GMIT v DCU/Mary's.

ITS and QUB both horsed out of it!! Joke. . .

Queens complain that Sligo IT had ineligible player not realising they had three themselves. A joke is right.

Syferus

Lol, well done Queens. You got what you deserved, but you managed to take ITS with you in your crusade of sour grapes.

David McKeown

Quote from: Syferus on February 05, 2015, 04:37:11 PM
Lol, well done Queens. You got what you deserved, but you managed to take ITS with you in your crusade of sour grapes.

I can understand their complaint though if the rules were changed because of a QUB saab officer then its only right everyone else play by the same rule going forward.  Similarly if they played ineligible players they should be out.  I think though it goes to show that either clearly defined rules as to who can and who can't play need to be set out for all teams before the competition or all teams need to better familiarise themselves with the rules.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

screenexile

Sounds like both Colleges fucked up badly. Stranmillis College now have their own Football team and obviously the 3 lads were too good that Queens tried to snap them up and it bit them in the ass.

DRA anyone? I hope not!

rodney trotter

Queens should be banned from  the Sigerson next year instead of kicking them out now, when they are already out