NFL Round 1: Monaghan v Tyrone

Started by GrandMasterFlash, January 26, 2015, 02:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Amazing the talent in monaghan on the bench.  They have to have a serious chance at an  all Ireland semi final or final this year.  Once they got their intensity levels up they controlled the game.

TF15

Monaghan could well get to a semi. IMO I don't think they/re good enough to beat Dublin, Mayo or Kerry in the height of summer. Regardless, it's a good time to be a Monaghan fan and they've a fine chance of winning Ulster.

INDIANA

You'd go a long way back in history to see a worse Tyrone performance

It was a shambles. Tyrone are way off even the Top 4. They don't seem to have any new blood of the requisite standard either.

They are still playing the same football they were in 2008 and the top teams have just left them behind.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: INDIANA on February 02, 2015, 10:02:04 PM

It was a shambles. Tyrone are way off even the Top 4. They don't seem to have any new blood of the requisite standard either.

They are still playing the same football they were in 2008 and the top teams have just left them behind.

July against Armagh wasn't much better, they only scored two points from play that day.

Main Street

The worrying thing for Tyrone (not that I do any of that worrying) is Mickey Harte has no answers, he hasn't the foggiest why Tyrone folded after 15 minutes never mind why some of his better players lost their discipline.
Apparently Mickey didn't observe what the rest of us did.
The truth of the matter was that Monaghan took a while to find their feet (ring rusty)  in the game,  but once they did, they didn't let up,  the change  that coincided with the turning of the tide was moving the sweeper Darren Hughes to a more influential role in midfield and brother Kieran went to wing half forward. Monaghan grabbed midfield and played better without the sweeper, played well as a team and defended well.

supersarsfields

I don't think anyone in Tyrone would claim Tyrone are near the top teams at the minute. The reality is that we were spoilt with a great selections of players over the last 15 odd years that have now passed on. There's no god given right for any county to be at the top table and if you haven't got the players there's not much that can be done. Systems will only get you so far. I think this current bunch is better than the Monaghan game, but I don't believe they will be able to compete with the likes of Mayo and Kerry come the summer. In fact I don't even see them getting to that stage. A run in Ulster is always possible as I don't think any of the Ulster teams are unbeatable, but it would take a bit of luck. Regarding Mickey, it'll be sad to see him go but I think the times come that he needs to step away after this year.

seafoid

In a few years' time Indy you'll be doing the beal bocht about the Dubs. Have a bit of tact please.
The Tyronies need to sort out their own feelings in their own time.
We all know how the thuas seal thios seal thing works.
I remember the Dubs in the late 90s. They were shite too. There is no insurance against that kind of thing. 

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: the_daddy on February 03, 2015, 09:47:09 AM
I'm sure a lot of Meath people were saying the same about Sean Boylan in 1995. In Mickey we trust.

Im not sure that we all trust in Mickey anymore - he often paraphrases the great John Wooden about success..."being the best you can be..."

That seems to be a law that applies to everyone else bar mickey...
Do Tyrone have the very best Management team right now? NO
Has be always picked and played the best players Tyrone has? Not sure
Is telling a player he is dropped by text or through the media, behaviour akin to being the best you can be? Not a chance

We have some of the best facilities available, and a fairly decent set of underage players coming through - but regardless of what potential we have, the fact is that the team playing on Saturday and the team v Armagh last year did not play as a team at all - nowhere near in fact...
You cannot have a manager who DOES Not talk directly to players....and thats only the start of it.

There is a real danger that very very soon, all the good memories created my MH will be overshadowed, and I would hate to see that - he has been a part of some amazing successes over the last 10 years or so but he was never the exclusive architect 

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

seafoid

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on February 03, 2015, 11:33:23 AM
I'm sure a lot of Meath people were saying the same about Sean Boylan in 1995. In Mickey we trust.

Im not sure that we all trust in Mickey anymore - he often paraphrases the great John Wooden about success..."being the best you can be..."

Is telling a player he is dropped by text or through the media, behaviour akin to being the best you can be? Not a chance

We have some of the best facilities available, and a fairly decent set of underage players coming through - but regardless of what potential we have, the fact is that the team playing on Saturday and the team v Armagh last year did not play as a team at all - nowhere near in fact...
You cannot have a manager who DOES Not talk directly to players....and thats only the start of it.

There is a real danger that very very soon, all the good memories created my MH will be overshadowed, and I would hate to see that - he has been a part of some amazing successes over the last 10 years or so but he was never the exclusive architect
ye will never  forget him or the teams that won sam. Everything comes to an end eventually but ye will be watching those videos forever.

thebuzz

Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2015, 06:19:49 PM

ye will never  forget him or the teams that won sam. Everything comes to an end eventually but ye will be watching those videos forever.

Give the man a break. Football may be all he has left to keep him going.
He may not have been the exclusive architect but you would have no All Irelands if it wasn't for him. He made it all come together in the glory years. Even if he goes at the end of this year you could be waiting along time for another one.

Redhand Santa

Some tyrone fans could be in for a shock if they think a new manager would automatically bring success. We've struggled at u21 level for the last ten years which is a big indicator that we're not bringing our players through after minor. Clearly something isn't right that we've been so good at minor level only to see team after team be poor at u21. Maybe we're picking the wrong type of player or not developing players properly straight after minor but there definitely is some kind of issue.

Rodman

Quote from: thebuzz on February 04, 2015, 10:42:19 PM

He may not have been the exclusive architect but you would have no All Irelands if it wasn't for him. He made it all come together in the glory years. Even if he goes at the end of this year you could be waiting along time for another one.

Nonsense. That group of players would have won All-Irelands with any manager. 

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Rodman on February 04, 2015, 11:03:00 PM
Quote from: thebuzz on February 04, 2015, 10:42:19 PM

Nonsense. That group of players would have won All-Irelands with any manager.

Easy to say but no guarantee they would have. Getting the first one is extremely hard. Given tyrone hadn't got to a semi since 96 and had been hammered by Sligo in the qualifiers a year earlier it was a remarkable achievement by Harte to win an all Ireland in his first year. The strongest thing about him was the belief he installed in the players. In 05 having won one and the the team being at its peak it was in some ways an easier win. Harte had a huge part to play in that 08 victory as I don't think we were just as strong.

tyroneman

Every coach has a sell by date. It's incredibly hard to keep being innovative and motivating new groups of players. Phil Jackson was one of the most successful coaches in Basketball with his triangle offence but is failing to move with the times and is now being left behind. Trappatpni has a record many managers would give their right arm for but was hopelessly out of touch with Ireland.

There are exceptions to the rule (Cody, Belichick for example) but by and large teams often need a new voice, style or approach every so often.

Mickey needs to accept his current approach is not working and either move with the times and try something new or perhaps move on. It would be great to see him innovate again but there is little evidence in the past 5 years this is the case.

Fuzzman

Whilst reading people's thoughts on Mickey here one of the biggest differences between the noughties teams and teams since seems to be lack of leaders.
Is this just the way it is or has this developed because of Mickey's legacy. Are players leadership skills as young men not allowed to develop?
We all know Mickey is a very stubborn man who doesn't like to be questioned so does he pick players who don't think for themselves or challenge things.
Do the team like playing this style of football.
With all that Mickey has been through has it become impossible for anyone to stand up and tell Mickey NO you're wrong.
I don't know these answers but I'm just posing the question.
Is Mickey's personality, lack of approachability and overall dominance having a deeper impact on the lack of development of our your players into Ieaders?