Kildare
24 (19.4%)
Down
34 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: March 03, 2015, 02:53:23 PM

seafoid

Quote from: Shrewdness on February 08, 2015, 09:18:52 AM
Donnelly's Hollow is correct when he says that us '' Mayo and Roscommon ladeens'' should talk about something other than Kildare's shortcomings. Why should be waste our time talking about a team that never actually wins anything and are overhyped in general every year. How many Leinster titles is it now in the last 90 years?. Mayo have won 4 Connacht titles in a row and could have won a few All Irelands in recent years. Roscommon are a team heading in the right direction, backed up by one of the best underage structures in the country. How dare we talk about Kildare, a county who usually make the Gaa headlines, only because of the size of the county boards debt.. Now, where's that Ballagh thread gone to?
4 bald men fighting over a comb if you include cavan and allow for certain of them trying rogaine.
Mayo are like that line from downtown train. They try so hard to break out of their little world.
Last all ireland won

Kildare 1928
Ros        1944
Mayo    1951
Cavan    1952
None in the modern era despite all that tradition.
All 4 of ye deserve an all ireland but there is a lot of head stuff to conquer before shangri la.
I wonder which county will be the first to break its mental chains. It should be mayo but you never know.

larryin89

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2015, 09:45:53 AM
Donnelly's Hollow is correct when he says that us '' Mayo and Roscommon ladeens'' should talk about something other than Kildare's shortcomings. Why should be waste our time talking about a team that never actually wins anything and are overhyped in general every year. How many Leinster titles is it now in the last 90 years?. Mayo have won 4 Connacht titles in a row and could have won a few All Irelands in recent years. Roscommon are a team heading in the right direction, backed up by one of the best underage structures in the country. How dare we talk about Kildare, a county who usually make the Gaa headlines, only because of the size of the county boards debt.. Now, where's that Ballagh thread gone to?
4 bald men fighting over a comb if you include cavan and allow for certain of them trying rogaine.
Mayo are like that line from downtown train. They try so hard to break out of their little world.
Last all ireland won

Kildare 1928
Ros        1944
Mayo    1951
Cavan    1952
All 4 of ye deserve an all ireland but there is a lot of head stuff to conquer before shangri la.
I wonder which county will be the first to break its mental chains. It should be mayo but you never know.

Cavan have tradition , Mayo have some but less ,as for the other two less again. Tradition isn't just about titles won although obviously it's a factor, for me it's style of play,great players produced down the years etc. Gallant John Joe or the great Tom Langan will always be remembered as greats of the game , I'm not so sure about Early or Johnny Doyle. But it's all about opinions I suppose .

Mayo in fairness have been competing in a different league to the rest the last twenty years. If you want to just say all four are the same because of no all ireland I think that's being pretty disingenuous to Mayo over the last 20 odd years who have absolutely rode the arse off Roscommon in that period for example.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

mylestheslasher

Last all ireland won

Kildare 1928
Ros        1944
Mayo    1951
Cavan    1952

Whats the modern era though? I wouldn't include anything pre 2000 as the modern era as the game was utterly different in the 90s such is the professional preparations and tactics at play today. Since 2000 only Kerry, Tyrone, Cork, Donegal, Armagh and Galway (who just sneak in)

There are a lot of counties trying to overcome mental barriers and indeed I'd include Galway and Armagh in that too.

seafoid

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 08, 2015, 10:43:35 AM
Last all ireland won

Kildare 1928
Ros        1944
Mayo    1951
Cavan    1952

Whats the modern era though? I wouldn't include anything pre 2000 as the modern era as the game was utterly different in the 90s such is the professional preparations and tactics at play today. Since 2000 only Kerry, Tyrone, Cork, Donegal, Armagh and Galway (who just sneak in)

There are a lot of counties trying to overcome mental barriers and indeed I'd include Galway and Armagh in that too.
I think you can divide failure into 2 groups

1. Not good enough
2. Good enough but head stuff

Galway, armagh, tyrone, meath are in group 1
Mayo , kildare recently  and Galway hurlers would be in group 2.

There is a huge psychological element to success.
Kildare had a great team late 90s but lost to Galway twice
. They might have beaten mayo....

You have to take your chances on the day and the lynx effect - you never get a second chance to make a first impression.
The head stuff is vital.

Donnellys Hollow

;D
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Itchy

Great result for Cavan last night. Lots of room to improve too.

Rossfan

Never mind Meath and Kildare ( although with relations in both it's sad to think neither will come wothin an ass's roar of giving Dublin a game in Leinster) - What about that for a good result and performance in Páirc Esler by our buicíns?
It helped that Down don't play a Cavan like defensive strategy so we had space when we ran at them.
Dodgy opening but our  backs got to grips - mostly- with the Aristocrats' forwards and we attacked very well ourselves.
1-4 without reply in the 20 mins or so before h/t put us in the driving seat - great pass to D Murt for the goal.
We went into our shell a bit in the second half and things looked dodgy after the goal but we finished strongly after Donie Smith and Cregger( copyright Syf) came on. He should have brought them on earlier as Enda Smith looked worn out from 45 mins on.
Anyway Syf will be happy that Cregger came on and shouwed great coolness, savvy and leadership to hit 3 points and win the day for us.
Excellent programme by the way ... BUT..
2 gripes - Why the pidgin Gaeilge from Yankee doodle Google translate in the Cathaoirleach's Fáilte. Translated to pidgin English it read - It is happy to me every person a Esler Páirc welcome to put to ye to the game between down and Ros, our first house National Football League game the season.
Heading said "Fáilte an gChathaoirleach" ::)
Map on page 23 showing a pink 6 Cos and a Green 26 - won't go down well in 5 Counties I could name.
Good noght good show and bring on the Royals.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mrdeeds

Rossfan your own fans said last week said that Evans is very negative so pot and kettle. When you played Mayo last year you were very negative. Cavan play one sweeper now and are much more attacking hence 17 points last night most of which were from play. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument .

sdg

Very impressed with the rosses last nite, will be a big challenge till mayo in the next few years. As for us? going nowhere fast. Have we no big forwards in the county.

Syferus

Negative? What teams don't imploy heavy defensive tactics? We regularly had 12 men behind the ball last night too if Willie is to be believed. Fact is being a positive team in the modern era is about breaking from defence fast, good support play and good passing. Thankfully we've been improving year-on-year in those areas under Evans. He seems to understand that to move up in the world we have to expand our game and get better at defending, not one or the other.

Quick word for Senan, a player who got torrents of abuse even though he's one of the best target men I've ever seen wear primrose. His style of play tended to make people think he was lazy but in reality he was always trying to work for the team, at times even last night he was asked to do more defending than I'd have liked. If you checked how many scores he's got this year you'd think he was under-performing but his ball-winning and passing have been sublime so far, he's become alongside Enda Smith the chief playmaker on the team. Great to see because everyone that's watched Senan play knows he has the talent.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Syferus on February 08, 2015, 01:12:51 PM
Negative? What teams don't imploy heavy defensive tactics? We regularly had 12 men behind the ball last nigh too if Willie is to be believed. Fact is being a positive team in the modern era is about breaking from defence fast, good support play and good passing. Thankfully we've been improving year-on-year in those areas under Evans. He seems to understand that to move up in the world we have to expand our game and get better at defending, not one or the other.

Quick word for Senan, a player who got torrents of abuse even though he's one of the best target men I've ever seen wear primrose. His style of play tended to make people think he was lazy but in reality he was always trying to work for the team, at times even last night he was asked to do more defending than I'd have liked. If you checked how many scores he's got this year you'd think he was under-performing but his ball-winning and passing have been sublime so far, he's become alongside Ena Smith the chief playmaker on the team. Great to see because everyone that's watched Senan play knows he has the talent.

Well said. Cavan seem to have copped on to this, this year. No ponderous hand passing. A work in progress. A fresh voice in McHale seems to have helped progress. Some lads still quoting Brolly a year later.

seafoid

Very open division after 2 rounds.

shark

Very disappointing from Westmeath point of view, with regard to the result. Positives aside from that. It's going to be very tight at both ends of the table. Although it does look ominous for Laois.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on February 08, 2015, 07:08:24 PM
Who can stop Galway now? ;D

With the Corofin lads,Hanley,Conroy etc to return Galway are in the box seat for promotion.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose