Down
34 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: March 03, 2015, 02:53:23 PM

Rossfan

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 08, 2015, 08:19:37 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 08, 2015, 07:08:24 PM
Who can stop Galway now? ;D

With the Corofin lads,Hanley,Conroy etc to return Galway are in the box seat for promotion.
And Connacht and Sam..
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

First off it was a hugely entertaining game for this time of year in Mullingar today, credit to both teams for some excellent fare at times. Both teams had stages where there was 14 men behind the ball defending but there was plenty of scoring to makeup for some of the clogged defending which is, alas, just the way of the modern game.

This was a great win for Galway but a draw would have been the fairest result, both teams had spells in the ascendancy and others when they were under pressure. A good sign for us is that when Westmeath went in front for the first time with about 15 minutes left there was a great response, I have no doubt that Galway would have lost this game last year.
Some questionable officiating (2nd half especially), some bizarre calls against Galway in terms of frees given the other way and side line balls given in error but Westmeath had at least one scorable free and a possible penalty denied in the second half so it was going both ways.

Galway have "embraced" a more defensive plan although it is certainly still very much a work in progress. The patient build up from the back cost at least a couple of points in turnover ball and when attacking 14 men they are still taking the ball into the tackle a bit too much at times.
4 points is a fantastic platform to start with however and if we can beat Laois in Tuam next time out we will have a great opportunity to push for promotion to Division one with two more home games to come after that.

TJ Forde - Kickouts were a disaster (they only marginally improved in the second half) and he paid the price by being subbed off at HT for Breathnach. Could have been more commanding around the area for the first Westmeath goal perhaps. Breathnach made a brilliant match winning save in the final quarter when a goal for either team would have sealed it.
Declan Kyne - Played more out the pitch with Forde/Sweeney marking the two man Westmeath FF line. Couple of frees given away (one of them pointed) but had some good runs up the pitch. Obviously as he is a Clonbur man, I hope this will not be the only chance in the league he gets.
Colin Forde - Cleaned out under the high ball several times, to be fair he was giving up at least 4 or 5 inches to his man but both Westmeath goals were from high balls into the square, whatever blame is to go around Forde has to bear most of the brunt unfortunately. Hanley should have been on for him sooner as the long ball option wasn't as effective once he was at the edge of the square.
Cathal Sweeney - Played fairly well, best of the starting FB line.
Paul Varley - Quieter than the Meath match, still got up the pitch to hit another great score.
Garreth Bradshaw - Good game, best I've seen from him in a Galway jersey for a while.
Gary O'Donnell - Decent game, the HB line were all solid to be honest.
Fiontán Ó Curraoin - Good game for the most part, some great fetches in the 2nd half, kept the possession ticking over when he had the ball.
Tomas Flynn - Quiet game, had a couple of great runs which lead to scores for other players (including the first goal) to be fair.
Sean Denvir - Industrious and impressive (at times) performance, got a superb score off his left around the 60 minute mark when Galway badly needed it.
Shane Walsh - Stuck the penalty well but had a terrible game, two very bad misses from handy frees right in front of the posts. Gave up possession several times, twice punished by Westmeath points for losing it in the Galway half. Substituted midway through the 2nd half, fortunate to stay on until then. Replaced by Martin who hit over a brilliant pressure free in the last 5 minutes.
Enda Tierney - Totally anonymous in the 1st half, can't remember anything of note at all, subbed at HT for Hoare who was much more involved in the game.
Danny Cummins - Excellent, 3 great points and consistently won any decent ball played into him.
Patrick Sweeney - Galway's MOTM, 1-5 from play, great ball winning throughout, hard to fault his performance. A speculative free kick from about 45 out in the first half that got nowhere near and a wide he should have fisted over in the 2nd half is about the only criticism.
Adrian Varley - Good performance, won plenty of ball in the 1st half out in front of his man, seemed to be back in the Galway half more so in the 2nd half and wasn't as prominent, replaced by Cathal Mulryan with about 7 or 8 minutes to go.

For Westmeath, I thought Heslin was good, Keiran Martin at CHB was probably Westmeath's standout player, great drive all game. Kudos must go to Callum McCormack for the two most outstanding points scored on the day, fantastic efforts, the second of which I couldn't believe he put over, did some good work when on the ball as well throughout.
The midfielder Sharry had some powerful runs into Galway territory but the end product was lacking from him slightly when in some good positions. As mentioned previously, the two man FF line gave Galway a lot of problems (Lorcan Smith and Darragh Daly I think, some Westmeath follower can probably confirm the players) with the high ball for the majority of the game until Hanley was brought into it.

seafoid

Ros will be playing champions league by june so it won't be them

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on February 09, 2015, 12:48:45 AM

..but sure the CL final is in May Foideen.

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on February 09, 2015, 01:20:55 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 09, 2015, 12:48:45 AM

..but sure the CL final is in May Foideen.

Roscommon can do anything they are "the "product of 2015 .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

shark

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 08, 2015, 11:45:04 PM
First off it was a hugely entertaining game for this time of year in Mullingar today, credit to both teams for some excellent fare at times. Both teams had stages where there was 14 men behind the ball defending but there was plenty of scoring to makeup for some of the clogged defending which is, alas, just the way of the modern game.

This was a great win for Galway but a draw would have been the fairest result, both teams had spells in the ascendancy and others when they were under pressure. A good sign for us is that when Westmeath went in front for the first time with about 15 minutes left there was a great response, I have no doubt that Galway would have lost this game last year.
Some questionable officiating (2nd half especially), some bizarre calls against Galway in terms of frees given the other way and side line balls given in error but Westmeath had at least one scorable free and a possible penalty denied in the second half so it was going both ways.

Galway have "embraced" a more defensive plan although it is certainly still very much a work in progress. The patient build up from the back cost at least a couple of points in turnover ball and when attacking 14 men they are still taking the ball into the tackle a bit too much at times.
4 points is a fantastic platform to start with however and if we can beat Laois in Tuam next time out we will have a great opportunity to push for promotion to Division one with two more home games to come after that.

TJ Forde - Kickouts were a disaster (they only marginally improved in the second half) and he paid the price by being subbed off at HT for Breathnach. Could have been more commanding around the area for the first Westmeath goal perhaps. Breathnach made a brilliant match winning save in the final quarter when a goal for either team would have sealed it.
Declan Kyne - Played more out the pitch with Forde/Sweeney marking the two man Westmeath FF line. Couple of frees given away (one of them pointed) but had some good runs up the pitch. Obviously as he is a Clonbur man, I hope this will not be the only chance in the league he gets.
Colin Forde - Cleaned out under the high ball several times, to be fair he was giving up at least 4 or 5 inches to his man but both Westmeath goals were from high balls into the square, whatever blame is to go around Forde has to bear most of the brunt unfortunately. Hanley should have been on for him sooner as the long ball option wasn't as effective once he was at the edge of the square.
Cathal Sweeney - Played fairly well, best of the starting FB line.
Paul Varley - Quieter than the Meath match, still got up the pitch to hit another great score.
Garreth Bradshaw - Good game, best I've seen from him in a Galway jersey for a while.
Gary O'Donnell - Decent game, the HB line were all solid to be honest.
Fiontán Ó Curraoin - Good game for the most part, some great fetches in the 2nd half, kept the possession ticking over when he had the ball.
Tomas Flynn - Quiet game, had a couple of great runs which lead to scores for other players (including the first goal) to be fair.
Sean Denvir - Industrious and impressive (at times) performance, got a superb score off his left around the 60 minute mark when Galway badly needed it.
Shane Walsh - Stuck the penalty well but had a terrible game, two very bad misses from handy frees right in front of the posts. Gave up possession several times, twice punished by Westmeath points for losing it in the Galway half. Substituted midway through the 2nd half, fortunate to stay on until then. Replaced by Martin who hit over a brilliant pressure free in the last 5 minutes.
Enda Tierney - Totally anonymous in the 1st half, can't remember anything of note at all, subbed at HT for Hoare who was much more involved in the game.
Danny Cummins - Excellent, 3 great points and consistently won any decent ball played into him.
Patrick Sweeney - Galway's MOTM, 1-5 from play, great ball winning throughout, hard to fault his performance. A speculative free kick from about 45 out in the first half that got nowhere near and a wide he should have fisted over in the 2nd half is about the only criticism.
Adrian Varley - Good performance, won plenty of ball in the 1st half out in front of his man, seemed to be back in the Galway half more so in the 2nd half and wasn't as prominent, replaced by Cathal Mulryan with about 7 or 8 minutes to go.

For Westmeath, I thought Heslin was good, Keiran Martin at CHB was probably Westmeath's standout player, great drive all game. Kudos must go to Callum McCormack for the two most outstanding points scored on the day, fantastic efforts, the second of which I couldn't believe he put over, did some good work when on the ball as well throughout.
The midfielder Sharry had some powerful runs into Galway territory but the end product was lacking from him slightly when in some good positions. As mentioned previously, the two man FF line gave Galway a lot of problems (Lorcan Smith and Darragh Daly I think, some Westmeath follower can probably confirm the players) with the high ball for the majority of the game until Hanley was brought into it.

Smyth and Daly indeed. Daly is one of yours, a nephew of Val's.

seafoid

Kildare are only 2 points off the pace if they can get organised. It doesn't look good for Laois though.

mouview

etc.

Very good summation Fhairche. W'meath would indeed not have been flattered with a draw or even a win; as you said, ref. was dodgy for both sides, but I thought he gave a couple of very crucial calls our way. Subs big Kev made were indeed very timely, Colin Forde was really struggling all day, and Hanley added badly needed cuteness to no. 3 spot. I even said at the time that Breathnach's save could be a match-winner. HB line weren't too bad per se but I'd like to see them 'stop' more, rather than just attacking wholesale. The form of Pat Sweeney, (great man to break a tackle) and the much-derided (by me and others) Danny Cummins is an early season bonus. Would like to see Galway move the ball forward much quicker if possible; there was a bit too much fannying about in midfield with it for a lot of the time.

Last year, we would probably have lost that game by a couple of points, cue Mulholland saying things were 'encouraging' and 'going the right way' and 'a young improving squad' etc. We're in a good position now, with a home game to come in fortress Tuam against an off-form Laois, which is very winnable. Thereafter things get a bit harder; away games v Down and the Rossies will be no gimmes for sure. (Is it certain the Ros' game  will be in the Hyde?) The returning lads should provide another boost, but there's no guarantee it will be enough either....

Croí na hÉireann

That's a good summation of the game AFA, like you said, a hugely entertaining game for February. We were slow out of the blocks, our full back line were exposed and they didn't look as tuned in as the Laois game. Fair play to the lads for coming back from two 5 point leads to go in level at half time. While we were exposed at the back the reason for it soon became clear as were tried to press Galway high up the pitch. This seemed to catch Galway on the hop a bit and we managed a fair few turnovers outside our 45. One criticism I'd have is that we didn't look to send in more high balls into the square. We got 2 goals from 3 such deliveries in the first half, an inexperienced keeper in goal and a height mismatch right in front of him.

Jamie Gonoud did a superb marking job on Shane Walsh and was another interesting tactic from management. I'd agree with all you've said on Heslin, Martin, McCormack, Sharry, Smith and Daly and would add in Egan for mention due to work rate, the man is a human dynamo. Kickouts are a problem though, didn't win enough of the directed ones and certainly need work. Really should have worked the goal opportunity better in the second half as well although it was a great save from Breathnach to be fair.

You've already referenced the refereeing and likewise I found myself commentating on frees for both sides being very soft and then incredulous at other times for frees not being awarded at all. I found myself on my feet at one stage giving out that the ball hadn't crossed the sideline, straight under the nose of the linesman, who for some reason, best know to himself, awarded a line ball to Westmeath. But if a referee is going to be poor/picky then you hope he is going to be consistently poor/picky. Which led to even higher levels of incredulity when he failed to award a penalty for a carbon copy drag back that he awarded in the area in the first half. However we had the chances aside from that to get at least the draw I thought we deserved towards the end. Our handling let us down at times and Heslin was unlucky to see a free come back off the post.

Still a lot of positives to take from the game, hugely encouraged from the performance what with injuries and flu still in the squad. Game in Newbridge in 3 weeks takes on a whole new meaning now, a result there will do wonders.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

An Fhairche Abu

Croí na hÉireann - I agree that Westmeath should have had a penalty, especially after the penalty awarded (correctly) to Galway in the 1st half, if Galway didn't get one like that I'd be hopping mad.
Kick outs were a problem for both teams, each seemed to have more success on the opposition kick out than on their own.

Mouview - The save by Breathnach was definitely the match winning difference. Really though, it has to be said that Westmeath should have scored there, it was one of those overlap chances that's converted 80-90% of the time.
It will be hard to get anything away to Down and the Rossies but if we can win (and it's a big ask to be fair) the remaining home games that should be enough to go up I think, given the evenness of the teams involved in Division 2 all teams will drop points somewhere.

Old yeller

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2015, 10:59:01 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 08, 2015, 10:43:35 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2015, 09:45:53 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on February 08, 2015, 09:18:52 AM
Donnelly's Hollow is correct when he says that us '' Mayo and Roscommon ladeens'' should talk about something other than Kildare's shortcomings. Why should be waste our time talking about a team that never actually wins anything and are overhyped in general every year. How many Leinster titles is it now in the last 90 years?. Mayo have won 4 Connacht titles in a row and could have won a few All Irelands in recent years. Roscommon are a team heading in the right direction, backed up by one of the best underage structures in the country. How dare we talk about Kildare, a county who usually make the Gaa headlines, only because of the size of the county boards debt.. Now, where's that Ballagh thread gone to?
4 bald men fighting over a comb if you include cavan and allow for certain of them trying rogaine.
Mayo are like that line from downtown train. They try so hard to break out of their little world.
Last all ireland won

Kildare 1928
Ros        1944
Mayo    1951
Cavan    1952
None in the modern era despite all that tradition.
All 4 of ye deserve an all ireland but there is a lot of head stuff to conquer before shangri la.
I wonder which county will be the first to break its mental chains. It should be mayo but you never know.

Whats the modern era though? I wouldn't include anything pre 2000 as the modern era as the game was utterly different in the 90s such is the professional preparations and tactics at play today. Since 2000 only Kerry, Tyrone, Cork, Donegal, Armagh and Galway (who just sneak in)

There are a lot of counties trying to overcome mental barriers and indeed I'd include Galway and Armagh in that too.
I think you can divide failure into 2 groups

1. Not good enough
2. Good enough but head stuff

Galway, armagh, tyrone, meath are in group 1
Mayo , kildare recently  and Galway hurlers would be in group 2.

There is a huge psychological element to success.
Kildare had a great team late 90s but lost to Galway twice
. They might have beaten mayo....

You have to take your chances on the day and the lynx effect - you never get a second chance to make a first impression.
The head stuff is vital.
Ffs! Kildare were never good enough to win an AI, head problems or not. Its like having a group that were "good enough but leg stuff"!
If you havent got the temperament for big games, you are NOT good enough..

seafoid

Quote from: Old yeller on February 09, 2015, 05:35:09 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2015, 10:59:01 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 08, 2015, 10:43:35 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2015, 09:45:53 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on February 08, 2015, 09:18:52 AM
Donnelly's Hollow is correct when he says that us '' Mayo and Roscommon ladeens'' should talk about something other than Kildare's shortcomings. Why should be waste our time talking about a team that never actually wins anything and are overhyped in general every year. How many Leinster titles is it now in the last 90 years?. Mayo have won 4 Connacht titles in a row and could have won a few All Irelands in recent years. Roscommon are a team heading in the right direction, backed up by one of the best underage structures in the country. How dare we talk about Kildare, a county who usually make the Gaa headlines, only because of the size of the county boards debt.. Now, where's that Ballagh thread gone to?
4 bald men fighting over a comb if you include cavan and allow for certain of them trying rogaine.
Mayo are like that line from downtown train. They try so hard to break out of their little world.
Last all ireland won

Kildare 1928
Ros        1944
Mayo    1951
Cavan    1952
None in the modern era despite all that tradition.
All 4 of ye deserve an all ireland but there is a lot of head stuff to conquer before shangri la.
I wonder which county will be the first to break its mental chains. It should be mayo but you never know.

Whats the modern era though? I wouldn't include anything pre 2000 as the modern era as the game was utterly different in the 90s such is the professional preparations and tactics at play today. Since 2000 only Kerry, Tyrone, Cork, Donegal, Armagh and Galway (who just sneak in)

There are a lot of counties trying to overcome mental barriers and indeed I'd include Galway and Armagh in that too.
I think you can divide failure into 2 groups

1. Not good enough
2. Good enough but head stuff

Galway, armagh, tyrone, meath are in group 1
Mayo , kildare recently  and Galway hurlers would be in group 2.

There is a huge psychological element to success.
Kildare had a great team late 90s but lost to Galway twice
. They might have beaten mayo....

You have to take your chances on the day and the lynx effect - you never get a second chance to make a first impression.
The head stuff is vital.
Ffs! Kildare were never good enough to win an AI, head problems or not. Its like having a group that were "good enough but leg stuff"!
If you havent got the temperament for big games, you are NOT good enough..
They were a year late for Mayo in 98. 2 head cases. One of them would have had to win even if neither of them could  . You can't have a final with 2 losers.   

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on February 09, 2015, 10:37:57 AM

etc.

Very good summation Fhairche. W'meath would indeed not have been flattered with a draw or even a win; as you said, ref. was dodgy for both sides, but I thought he gave a couple of very crucial calls our way. Subs big Kev made were indeed very timely, Colin Forde was really struggling all day, and Hanley added badly needed cuteness to no. 3 spot. I even said at the time that Breathnach's save could be a match-winner. HB line weren't too bad per se but I'd like to see them 'stop' more, rather than just attacking wholesale. The form of Pat Sweeney, (great man to break a tackle) and the much-derided (by me and others) Danny Cummins is an early season bonus. Would like to see Galway move the ball forward much quicker if possible; there was a bit too much fannying about in midfield with it for a lot of the time.

Last year, we would probably have lost that game by a couple of points, cue Mulholland saying things were 'encouraging' and 'going the right way' and 'a young improving squad' etc. We're in a good position now, with a home game to come in fortress Tuam against an off-form Laois, which is very winnable. Thereafter things get a bit harder; away games v Down and the Rossies will be no gimmes for sure. (Is it certain the Ros' game  will be in the Hyde?) The returning lads should provide another boost, but there's no guarantee it will be enough either....

A much better shtart this year, Mo, compared to last year when the first points came in round 4.
Down are very hit and miss, I think

GalwayBayBoy

From a Galway perspective I think you have to be fairly happy with the start to the league although it's early days yet. 2 wins from 2 without the Corofin lads and a few others and still 3 home games to come. Win even the remaining home games and Galway would be in a very good position come the end of the league. I agree with AFA that Galway would have lost that Westmeath game last year once Westmeath finally edged in front late in the game. Showed some serious fight to dig out the win away from home there. Nobody can tell yet how Kevin Walsh will do with Galway but I do think he will instill a harder more competitive edge in them than Mulholland could.

No doubt the biggest find of the league so far has been Patrick Sweeney (granted a small sample size). Was very good when he came off the bench against Meath and 1-5 from play (as well as winning another penalty) against Westmeath speaks for itself. If he maintains his form through the league he will make himself very difficult to drop from the number 14 shirt which would beg the question of where to put Paul Conroy? Sweeney looks like a strong ball-winner and is is obviously well able to take his own scores. For some reason he reminds me of a smaller version of Kieran Donaghy.

Defensively I think we are still a work in progress to say the least. Still a lot of rotation going on back there especially in goal. A fit Finian Hanley is still very important. Half backs can't be caught bombing forward as much or at least not all at the same time.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 09, 2015, 08:06:12 PM
From a Galway perspective I think you have to be fairly happy with the start to the league although it's early days yet. 2 wins from 2 without the Corofin lads and a few others and still 3 home games to come. Win even the remaining home games and Galway would be in a very good position come the end of the league. I agree with AFA that Galway would have lost that Westmeath game last year once Westmeath finally edged in front late in the game. Showed some serious fight to dig out the win away from home there. Nobody can tell yet how Kevin Walsh will do with Galway but I do think he will instill a harder more competitive edge in them than Mulholland could.

No doubt the biggest find of the league so far has been Patrick Sweeney (granted a small sample size). Was very good when he came off the bench against Meath and 1-5 from play (as well as winning another penalty) against Westmeath speaks for itself. If he maintains his form through the league he will make himself very difficult to drop from the number 14 shirt which would beg the question of where to put Paul Conroy? Sweeney looks like a strong ball-winner and is is obviously well able to take his own scores. For some reason he reminds me of a smaller version of Kieran Donaghy.

Defensively I think we are still a work in progress to say the least. Still a lot of rotation going on back there especially in goal. A fit Finian Hanley is still very important. Half backs can't be caught bombing forward as much or at least not all at the same time.
In fairness to Mulholland his job was to bring on the best under 21s and he did it. 
Flynn, O Curraoin and Walsh are a year older this year and that is standing to them.
  Sweeney looks like he could be quite a prospect. Nice to see players like him coming through.

It's a pity there are so few of the older heads with a bit of experience.
Donnellan and Joyce had the likes of Walsh and Mannion to gel with.