24 (19.4%)
Down
34 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: March 03, 2015, 02:53:23 PM

grounded

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 02, 2015, 08:20:41 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 01, 2015, 11:50:38 PM
None of the scores looked remotely controversial, and the Cavan lads around me had a good view of both goals and there were no complaints early in the second half with non-points, or any other time for that matter.

If you want to get into that game let's talk about the belt Niall Daly got nearly immediately after the second half throw-in, Myles..

The 2 points were clearly visible from the shadowed side of the pitch, from the stand. I had a good chat with 4 Ros lads leaving the ground and they like me said that both calls were wrong. But that's life when you have blind umpires and brutal refs. As for the belt, please tell me what you saw. The ball was being thrown up and next thing I see your Ctr Back down. I didn't see anything, the umpires didn't see anything, the linesmen didn't see anything and amazingly Duffy didn't see anything. Maybe there was nothing to see. All I know is that I've never seen Barry Reilly (Cavan Ctr Forward) throw a dirty dig at anyone so I would guess  it was an accidental collision of some sort. The Ros player didn't react in anyway afterwards to Barry either which I think he would have done if he got an intentional Belt.

Also - Have a read here to "megadodge", A Ros view that is similar to mine http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056343522&page=86

Also a big well done to Roscommon who printed about half as many programs as they needed despite the fact it was a 3k all ticket match - I can see how they got caught out with that one.

They probably guessed the Cavan ones would have held onto their programmes from last year!

Jinxy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 02, 2015, 05:44:26 PM
It's the only thing we could console ourselves with yesterday. A trip to sample the delights of Navan is enough to lift any man's spirits.

It's a must win game for both sides unless we lose, in which case, who cares it's only the league.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 01, 2015, 08:51:44 PM
I think Ros got two points from play in the 2nd half, one of which was wide. Michael Duffy kept ye in it with a series of unbelievable frees to Roscommon that had even the hardiest Ros fans scratching their heads. As I always say, Duffy can somehow see every free that is 50 meters away off the ball but cannot see them right in front of his face. He should hang up his boots as its more comical he is getting. Today we had a Cavan player booked for trying to go down and pick up a ball, other ones booked for a push during a kickout. A roscommon player dragged a Cavan player to the ground in the 1st half, Duffy makes the action to show the player he pulled the player down and then gives the same player a yellow instead of a black. His umpires waves a definite Cavan point wide and then from a Carbon copy shot in the 2nd half give Ros a point that was clearly wide. Still I'd have taken a point before the game so happy enough.

I was situated in the non score board end. In the 1st half the umpires did indeed wave a Cavan point wide. The one we had in the 2nd half was going wide but curled in a correct call. We got two soft frees in the 2nd half but one of your defenders was very lucky not to give a penalty away when he touched the ball on the ground inside the square, play was waved on by Duffy and from the resulting attack Cavan scored a point. D Murtagh was also taken out in the build up to another Cavan point so the long story short he was bad for both sides & Michael Duffy shouldn't be allowed near a junior club game never mind a div 2 senior county game.

Anyway i wouldn't be looking to a poor ref as the reason we didn't win we simply didn't play well enough on the day & a similar performance on Saturday night in Newry will mean a certain defeat.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2015, 09:30:10 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 02, 2015, 05:44:26 PM
It's the only thing we could console ourselves with yesterday. A trip to sample the delights of Navan is enough to lift any man's spirits.

It's a must win game for both sides unless we lose, in which case, who cares it's only the league.

God be with the days when ye wouldn't even consider losing never mind openly discussing it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on February 02, 2015, 08:57:36 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 02, 2015, 08:20:41 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 01, 2015, 11:50:38 PM
None of the scores looked remotely controversial, and the Cavan lads around me had a good view of both goals and there were no complaints early in the second half with non-points, or any other time for that matter.

If you want to get into that game let's talk about the belt Niall Daly got nearly immediately after the second half throw-in, Myles..

The 2 points were clearly visible from the shadowed side of the pitch, from the stand. I had a good chat with 4 Ros lads leaving the ground and they like me said that both calls were wrong. But that's life when you have blind umpires and brutal refs. As for the belt, please tell me what you saw. The ball was being thrown up and next thing I see your Ctr Back down. I didn't see anything, the umpires didn't see anything, the linesmen didn't see anything and amazingly Duffy didn't see anything. Maybe there was nothing to see. All I know is that I've never seen Barry Reilly (Cavan Ctr Forward) throw a dirty dig at anyone so I would guess  it was an accidental collision of some sort. The Ros player didn't react in anyway afterwards to Barry either which I think he would have done if he got an intentional Belt.

Also - Have a read here to "megadodge", A Ros view that is similar to mine http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056343522&page=86

Also a big well done to Roscommon who printed about half as many programs as they needed despite the fact it was a 3k all ticket match - I can see how they got caught out with that one.

Plenty of programs for anyone that arrived at a proper time.

Nothing in that post says we got a point that should have been waved wide, what's you're point, that we played poorly relative to what we expect to do at home? Of course.

Doesn't mean we were lucky to draw a game we led for 90% of the allotted time. If Diarmuid Murtagh had studs that let him kick off the ground on Sunday you'd have had no recourse to Duffy's soft frees, of which he gave a few to both sides. He hardly decided what was a close contest, but one where Cavan's main strength was the middle and not in attack or even defence where ye were carved open too easily at the times we did get some ball out of the middle - Donie Smith blasted a goal chance over the bar for our final point and every time Senan touched the ball Cavan's only response seemed to be to foul.

I hope both Cavan and ourselves survive but both teams will need significant improvement to get points off the established order. We were woeful in the middle, Cavan were one-dimensional in attack.

Syf

The art of the deal is closing the deal.
Leading for 90% of the time and not winning is what Wales and Ireland do against the All-Blacks.
Most tight games are decided in the last 5 minutes. Doesn't matter what goes before. Players are tired and make more mistakes right at the end. Look at the World Cup final or the Champions League or whatever.   

Or this from 3.40 on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSfsPis-so0

If Ros are going places this year they have to win the tight matches.

Rossfan

We had a 45 late on, the taker slipped as he kicked it and  made a hash of it. Cavan confidently drove their late 45 over the bar and far beyond.
Syd will tell us our man had "wrong studs".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Aristo 60

If I had another vote I'd vote for Down (again).

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on February 03, 2015, 02:22:03 PM
We had a 45 late on, the taker slipped as he kicked it and  made a hash of it. Cavan confidently drove their late 45 over the bar and far beyond.

Three times Murt took 45s, one in the first and twice in the second. On all three occasions he slipped. His studs were clearly the problem. I think anyone who has watched Murtagh play will know pressure or occasion isn't something that gets to him. Whether he'd have made them if he could have planted his feet properly is another story, but it was the boots causing him to slip. From the hands and in play he was as accurate as ever.

Making sure we have suitable boots for every realistic condition should be a presquite at this stage, and it should be the responsibility of the management and not the players, who I assume are wearing their own boots and may not even own the best football boots for frozen grounds, water logged grounds or the like. Leaving little things we can easily fix like that to chance is unacceptable in 2015, but few if any teams have copped on to those facts yet. It's different in other sports.

County teams demand such dedication from players these days and yet the basic fact different boots and different studs or moulds have entirely variable performances in different weather conditions seems to escape most management teams.

seafoid

Maybe the girls in Rockfords tell Syf he's the wrong stud.

Rossfan

If only we could get Syf onto our management team :-X
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

It'd be long cogs all round regardless of pitch conditions.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on February 03, 2015, 03:41:54 PM
If only we could get Syf onto our management team :-X
Apparently the young Brian Carthy was similar. I wonder does Syf do live commentary playing football down the field.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Syferus on February 03, 2015, 03:29:17 PM

Three times Murt took 45s, one in the first and twice in the second. On all three occasions he slipped. His studs were clearly the problem. I think anyone who has watched Murtagh play will know pressure or occasion isn't something that gets to him. Whether he'd have made them if he could have planted his feet properly is another story, but it was the boots causing him to slip. From the hands and in play he was as accurate as ever.

Making sure we have suitable boots for every realistic condition should be a presquite at this stage, and it should be the responsibility of the management and not the players, who I assume are wearing their own boots and may not even own the best football boots for frozen grounds, water logged grounds or the like. Leaving little things we can easily fix like that to chance is unacceptable in 2015, but few if any teams have copped on to those facts yet. It's different in other sports.

County teams demand such dedication from players these days and yet the basic fact different boots and different studs or moulds have entirely variable performances in different weather conditions seems to escape most management teams.

Why didn't the mighty Cregger try taking them,  the man that was making it rain last year in the league according to yourself?  Oh that's right he was totally ineffective in the first half and was taken off at half time, any more superstars on the horizon in Ros? Someone that can try kicking a ball without falling on their ass?

Shrewdness

Do any of the Ros lads have any update on the injury that forced Niall Carty to limp off last Sunday?

thejuice

Ah, I'm starting to have doubts about this Meath set-up but it's early days and plenty of lads to come back and lads to get in gear.

Still I hate Kildare to make this game a must win.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016