3 (2.4%)
Kildare
24 (19.4%)
Down
34 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: March 03, 2015, 02:53:23 PM

Syferus

I wouldn't be too bothered about home/away in the league, besides Down and Laois being relative pains in the arse to get to when we could have been away to Galway instead. Four home games instead of three is always grand for travel, though.

Effects supporters more than teams in the league, crowds just aren't big enough to give much of a home field advantage.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on January 23, 2015, 03:37:10 PM
I wouldn't be too bothered about home/away in the league, besides Down and Laois being relative pains in the arse to get to when we could have been away to Galway instead. Four home games instead of three is always grand for travel, though.

Effects supporters more than teams in the league, crowds just aren't big enough to give much of a home field advantage.

Remember seeing some stats on a blog/forum before that said there was something of the order of 3 points plus difference in how teams do at home versus away in the league, so while not the only factor, it's definitely a factor of some note.

Was a year or 2 back and had only a couple of years of records - think it was 4 years but it would be interesting to see if it was still the case.

moysider

Depends on the type of venue too I suppose.

Take McHale Park. Dreadful league venue. League crowds are lost there and the atmosphere is poor. Mayo's record there wouldn't be great.

But in about 30 years attending games in James Stephens' Park in Ballina I m struggling to remember losses. The atmosphere used to be great there for league games.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 23, 2015, 04:53:27 PM

Depends on the type of venue too I suppose.

Take McHale Park. Dreadful league venue. League crowds are lost there and the atmosphere is poor. Mayo's record there wouldn't be great.

But in about 30 years attending games in James Stephens' Park in Ballina I m struggling to remember losses. The atmosphere used to be great there for league games.

The hidden joy of the Hyde being unplayable early in the year (it has been for years but last year we finally accepted it properly) is that two of our three league games at home are down in 'Toom. Far better atmosphere for a league game, actually any sort of game. In our three league games in Kiltoom over the last three seasons we won all them, quite handily at that.

If league games were regularly played in venues of proper size home/away would be massive. Likewise John P and company deciding clubs can't host Connacht club championship matches when Corofin went kung fu fighting after Brigids bet them in 2011 was a massive loss for the club championships. The whole venue selection process needs a massive overhaul.

Syferus

Michael Duffy to ref the Cavan game. I didn't even buy a scratch card but I'm going to have to watch the lottery anyways.

hassletravel

Any truth in the rumour that Cavan/Roscommon match is all ticket, as kiltoom only holds 3,000
why travel direct

Shrewdness

I heard the same thing, an all ticket 3000 full house.

Blue in hope

NOTICE: ALLIANZ LEAGUE GAME V ROSCOMMON IS ALL TICKET.
Due to a capacity issue, next Sunday's 1st Feb Allianz Football League game
v Roscommon in Kiltoom is ALL TICKET.

You MUST have a ticket to enter the ground. Please purchase your ticket
early as capacity is limited.

Tickets are on sale in usual outlets and also in Kingspan Breffni
Park.

mylestheslasher

Why are they putting a game in a place that cannot hold the crowd expected? There will surely be more than 3000 wanting to attend?

snoopdog

It will be interesting to see how Down get on under new management. Won well in Newbrdge in 2010 but we had better players then will be a tough game, looking forward to the trip.
I do think with  3 of our 4 home games all against what the majoriy on here deem the favourites Roscommon, Galway and Meath a price of 11-2 for promotion is a good bet.  Down usually get a big home crouwd Stand is usually near full, i dont recall losing too many home league games over the last number of years only Cavan Cork and Kerry come to mind. Donegal and Kildare were dispatched and we drew with Monaghan last year.

Syferus

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 27, 2015, 11:12:48 AM
Why are they putting a game in a place that cannot hold the crowd expected? There will surely be more than 3000 wanting to attend?

Health and safety reduced the capacity of Kiltoom out of the blue recently. It can hold more than three thousand, indeed it held over 2k (the official figure was 1927 on Sunday so add the rest to that are never counted to that) with plenty of sideline space remaining. The terrace was only built a few years ago so it meets even standard they could throw at it, it's just more health and safety madness. The Hyde's pitch is a pile of shite at this time of the year and it's unplayable.

3000 should be fine for a league game. It's been a long time since we've had a league game with an attendance north of three thousand, and that includes previous visits of Cavan.

Rossie11

Quote from: snoopdog on January 27, 2015, 01:33:12 PM
It will be interesting to see how Down get on under new management. Won well in Newbrdge in 2010 but we had better players then will be a tough game, looking forward to the trip.
I do think with  3 of our 4 home games all against what the majoriy on here deem the favourites Roscommon, Galway and Meath a price of 11-2 for promotion is a good bet.  Down usually get a big home crouwd Stand is usually near full, i dont recall losing too many home league games over the last number of years only Cavan Cork and Kerry come to mind. Donegal and Kildare were dispatched and we drew with Monaghan last year.
Its 11/2 to win the division. Promotion odds would be less than 2/1

sinabhuil

Sorry lads but I think Kildare will walk it with Roscommon a distant 2nd.

Rossfan

I know we're playing an Ulster team on Sunday but WTC does "north of 3,000" mean :o
As it's now 2nd division and we are both getting better us and Cavan would naturally bring more people out than last year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on January 27, 2015, 01:50:49 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 27, 2015, 11:12:48 AM

Health and safety reduced the capacity of Kiltoom out of the blue recently. It can hold more than three thousand, indeed it held over 2k (the official figure was 1927 on Sunday so add the rest to that are never counted to that) with plenty of sideline space remaining. The terrace was only built a few years ago so it meets even standard they could throw at it, it's just more health and safety madness. The Hyde's pitch is a pile of shite at this time of the year and it's unplayable.

3000 should be fine for a league game. It's been a long time since we've had a league game with an attendance north of three thousand, and that includes previous visits of Cavan.

Was not all the health and safety madness with the stadiums as a result of the huge amount the GAA have had to pay out in response to spectators claiming thousands for every single slip and fall in various stadiums. I had heard that some of the GAA stadiums had never been properly assessed for health and safety for years and now lads have gone completely overboard for fear that they might have to end up before a judge and jury justifying why they let crowds in.

I think the legal profession is deserving of a lot of the blame here.