Freedom of speech

Started by Nigel White, January 13, 2015, 07:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel White

Just read there where that bloke Ken Morley was turfed out of Big Brother for making racist comments.  It's sometimes hard to square this freedom of speech circle. His comments didn't appear to me to be as potentially offensive as some of the anti Muslim sentiments expressed in Charlie Hebdo yet he's ridiculed whereas CH is lauded

Eamonnca1

Islamic fundamentalism is not a race. It's a poisonous ideology that deserves nothing but scorn and ridicule.

seafoid

Freedom of speech is a very nebulous concept. Most newspapers are afraid to tell the truth about what's really going on.

Applesisapples

I like Ken but he can be a twat.

ballinaman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 13, 2015, 08:22:27 AM
Islamic fundamentalism is not a race. It's a poisonous ideology that deserves nothing but scorn and ridicule.
Is scorn and ridicule the best solution to it?

AZOffaly

Does freedom of speech really exist? If it does, what is the incitement to hatred act about? I don't believe this purist notion that you can 'say what you like' actually exists at all. In some countries more is tolerated than in others, but "I disagree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it" is a bit of a fallacy I think.

It's probably more accurate to say 'Freedom of Speech, where such utterances fall within the defined parameters of acceptable for any individual society'.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Nigel White on January 13, 2015, 07:58:44 AM
Just read there where that bloke Ken Morley was turfed out of Big Brother for making racist comments.  It's sometimes hard to square this freedom of speech circle. His comments didn't appear to me to be as potentially offensive as some of the anti Muslim sentiments expressed in Charlie Hebdo yet he's ridiculed whereas CH is lauded

He was being racist and if freedom of speech should include this then God( or whatever higher power you pray or dont pray to) help us all

seafoid

Whistleblowers in Ireland and the UK as well as everywhere else are often vilified for speaking out- see child abuse, banking etc.
Free speech is very selective.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/whistleblowers-dire-warnings-silenced-by-senior-finance-chiefs-26845568.html

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on January 13, 2015, 12:04:29 PM
Whistleblowers in Ireland and the UK as well as everywhere else are often vilified for speaking out- see child abuse, banking etc.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/whistleblowers-dire-warnings-silenced-by-senior-finance-chiefs-26845568.html

That's a separate topic in fairness. That's the establishment trying to protect itself. What I'm saying is that this 'right' to say whatever the hell you like does not really exist. There are boundaries.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 13, 2015, 12:37:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 13, 2015, 12:04:29 PM

That's a separate topic in fairness. That's the establishment trying to protect itself. What I'm saying is that this 'right' to say whatever the hell you like does not really exist. There are boundaries.

How power is exercised these days means freedom of speech is very limited. And you are right to say there are boundaries.
But self censorship is also relevant. 

J70

Freedom of speech is about protection from the government. If the owners of some show kicked a lad off because they didnt like what he said, that is their right. As it is your right to criticize them for doing that.
We are all free, within reason,  to dress how we like. The government can't prosecute us for that. There is nothing stopping an employer or nite club having a dress code however. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on January 13, 2015, 01:49:17 PM
Freedom of speech is about protection from the government. If the owners of some show kicked a lad off because they didnt like what he said, that is their right. As it is your right to criticize them for doing that.
We are all free, within reason,  to dress how we like. The government can't prosecute us for that. There is nothing stopping an employer or nite club having a dress code however.

Exactly. Of course what 'reason' is is determined by societal standards normally. Just as with speech. 'Free' speech does not exist in the manner some people seem to think it does. It was born out of a desire to allow free commentary on government, not to allow gratuitous abuse.

foxcommander

Quote from: Nigel White on January 13, 2015, 07:58:44 AM

If Alexander O'Neal had said it would he have been kicked out and investigated by police?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie