Looks like another Fundamentalist Muslim attack, this time in Paris.

Started by AZOffaly, January 07, 2015, 03:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Shocking stuff. I fully expect to be educated any time now on how it's the West's fault.

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 07, 2015, 03:17:26 PM
Scary video too, the poor cop....

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/world-news/terrorists-on-run-after-twelve-people-killed-as-gunmen-open-fire-in-satirical-newspaper-charlie-hebdo-hq-in-paris-30889144.html

Im not sure what that video shows but I saw a horrendously graphic version in error earlier that has shook me to my core... I wasn't looking for it, just following the unfolding happenings on social media and interweb and clicked into it.

A side issue to whats going on today I know but it must make security forces jobs way more difficult, we can view whats happening almost in real time.

Sad day!

AZOffaly

The video shows one of the attackers walking up to the wounded cop, then the video is censored but you can hear the kill shot. It's gruesome.

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 07, 2015, 04:36:40 PM
The video shows one of the attackers walking up to the wounded cop, then the video is censored but you can hear the kill shot. It's gruesome.

to the core. :-(

Captain Obvious

AZOffaly

Sounds like this magazine goes after Islam and other religions and authority figures fairly regularly. It was firebombed over a previous cartoon, and the editor was under police protection.

Boycey

the one I saw wasn't censored at all, I've not done a bit of good this day since it :-[

I'm not a ghoul and wouldn't be seeking out shite like this, I was just following the breaking story. I'd say it was online less than an hour after the event...

seafoid

Might be linked to returned ISIS jihadists. Terrible to attack a magazine and kill police.
ISIS sell Yazidi women as slaves . They are no representatives of decent Muslims.

seafoid

Quote from: Puckoon on January 07, 2015, 04:05:06 PM
Shocking stuff. I fully expect to be educated any time now on how it's the West's fault.
It's not my Little pony in Iraq, Puckoon
Looks like ISIS and they emerged from Iraq

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/sep/25/iraq-outlaw-state/

"Even by the standards of Iraq's turbulent history, its past few decades have been unusually relentless. Just since 1980 Iraqis have experienced three major wars that wrecked the country's physical infrastructure and left perhaps half a million dead; an attempt at genocide that permanently alienated Iraq's five million Kurds; a ten-year siege under the UN's "Oil-for-Food" program that devastated the economy, ruined the middle class, and forced the most talented into exile; an American invasion that shattered national pride and stoked bitter divisions; and a civil war that displaced as many as 4.7 million Iraqis from their homes and has driven a deep, perhaps irreparable chasm of mistrust between Iraq's 60 percent Shia Arab majority and the once-dominant 20 percent Sunni Arab minority. Excepting perhaps the Russians from 1914 to 1953, few modern nations have been so cursed by ill luck for such an extended period."

throw in the Saudis for funding and it's a mess.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2015, 05:58:59 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 07, 2015, 04:05:06 PM
It's not my Little pony in Iraq, Puckoon
Looks like ISIS and they emerged from Iraq

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/sep/25/iraq-outlaw-state/

"Even by the standards of Iraq's turbulent history, its past few decades have been unusually relentless. Just since 1980 Iraqis have experienced three major wars that wrecked the country's physical infrastructure and left perhaps half a million dead; an attempt at genocide that permanently alienated Iraq's five million Kurds; a ten-year siege under the UN's "Oil-for-Food" program that devastated the economy, ruined the middle class, and forced the most talented into exile; an American invasion that shattered national pride and stoked bitter divisions; and a civil war that displaced as many as 4.7 million Iraqis from their homes and has driven a deep, perhaps irreparable chasm of mistrust between Iraq's 60 percent Shia Arab majority and the once-dominant 20 percent Sunni Arab minority. Excepting perhaps the Russians from 1914 to 1953, few modern nations have been so cursed by ill luck for such an extended period."

throw in the Saudis for funding and it's a mess.

And in spite of all that 'bad luck' they target cartoonists. It s religious fanaticism plain and simple.

Itchy

I blame Israel. I'm going to post a big article now to prove it too.

seafoid

This is quite good

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9f90f482-9672-11e4-a40b-00144feabdc0.html
François Hollande, France's president, rightly called it "an act of exceptional barbarity . . . against freedom of expression". But the murder on Wednesday of 12 people at the Paris offices of Charlie Hebdo, a satirical magazine, will not surprise anyone familiar with the rising tensions among France's 5m or more Muslim citizens and the poisonous legacy of French colonialism in north Africa.

For now, the perpetrators are unidentified. We need to keep in mind that the worst terrorist outrage in Europe of recent years, the murder of 77 people in Norway in 2011, was committed not by Islamist militants but by a far-right fanatic, Anders Behring Breivik.
Like other politically motivated attacks, from 9/11 to the killing last May of four people at the Jewish museum in Brussels, the atrocity at Charlie Hebdo was despicable and indefensible. Among the first to condemn it was the French Council of the Muslim Faith, which termed it "a barbaric act against democracy and freedom of the press".

Charlie Hebdo is a bastion of the French tradition of hard-hitting satire. It has a long record of mocking, baiting and needling Muslims. Two years ago the magazine published a 65-page strip cartoon book portraying the Prophet's life. And this week it gave special coverage to Soumission ("Submission"), a new novel by Michel Houellebecq, the idiosyncratic author, which depicts France in the grip of an Islamic regime led by a Muslim president.

This is not in the slightest to condone the murderers, who must be caught and punished, or to suggest that freedom of expression should not extend to satirical portrayals of religion. It is merely to say that some common sense would be useful at publications such as Charlie Hebdo, and Denmark's Jyllands-Posten, which purport to strike a blow for freedom when they provoke Muslims.

Emotions are understandably high in France, where the next question is what impact Wednesday's murders will have on the political climate, and in particular the fortunes of Marine Le Pen and her far-right National Front. Anti-Islamism is part of the electoral attraction of a party that topped the polls in May in France's European Parliament elections.

The bloody assault on the offices of the French satirical magazine, Charlie Hebdo, can only provoke the most profound revulsion. This was a dreadful terrorist atrocity that has claimed the lives of at least 12 innocent people. Our first response must be to mourn the victims, four of whom were the magazine's well-known cartoonists and two of them police officers. But this was more than a human tragedy. It was a calculated act of intimidation, an attack on the freedom of expression that is the pillar of any democratic society. It was designed to seed an insidious form of self-censorship. It must be roundly and defiantly condemned.

Ms Le Pen has taken care to distance her party from the anti-Semitism that stained it and limited its appeal under her father, Jean-Marie Le Pen. But she has left anti-Islamism in place and even reinforced it.

In 2010 Ms Le Pen compared Muslims praying in the streets to the 1940-44 Nazi occupation of France. Less than 18 months later she collected 17.9 per cent of the vote in France's presidential election. She has a good chance of increasing her share of the vote enough to win the first round — though not the second, decisive round — of the 2017 election.

Anti-Islamism and a hard line on immigration will shore up Ms Le Pen's core vote, but they will not unlock the doors of the Elysée Palace. Surveys show that a majority of French people rejects racism and dislikes extremism.

The English author Andrew Hussey, who lives in Paris, published a book last year called The French Intifada, in which he described France as "the world capital of liberty, equality and fraternity . . . under attack from the angry and dispossessed heirs to the French colonial project".
The murders in Paris throw down a challenge to French politicians and citizens to stand up for the republic's core values and defeat political violence without succumbing to the siren songs of the far right.