Conor Gormley retires

Started by give her dixie, January 01, 2015, 01:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laceer

Tyrone's go-to defender for the last 15 odd years. Superb footballer who never took a step back. The block on McDonnell in 03 summed him up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lead Carmen to a county title before he retires. All the best Connor

Fuzzman

Haven't been on the board for a while but this thread reminds me of the good old days on here where yes you expect total bias from your main rivals but its great reading posts from more balanced neutrals who may have taken their fair share if slagging from your fellow county colleagues but are brave enough to stand up and speak the truth.
Conor Gormley was our best defender in my lifetime for Tyrone. He was a forwards nightmare and you knew you were in for a hell if a battle. Yes of course he was no angel but his darker side usually didn't stoop as low as some others I could name. Every team needs such a defender that strikes fear and self doubt into a player's mind.
Fair play to Stevie McDonnell for his excellent tweet and Conor Mortimer too but I'd say Oisin won't be so kind in his words.
Conor too had a bad impact on the Dubs with him closing out a lot of their best players with Alan Brogan in particular coming off worst perhaps.
Legend us a word often used for players like Canavan and Mickey Linden and Jack O Shea but to me Block is right up there. If Dublin had a defender like him now they would be hard to beat.

tiempo

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 02, 2015, 06:07:11 PM
Quote from: red hander on January 02, 2015, 05:07:22 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 01, 2015, 10:10:38 PM
A very good defender at his best..but he was a passenger for a couple of years now in fairness.
Some of his "antics" will not be any loss either though. Loved to drop the knee on prone opponents and the like. There's a photo of him taken a few seconds after the final whistle went in one of Tyrone's All Ireland victories in which he is roaring into a defeated opponent's face, which doesn't say a lot for his character.

I've seen a photo of Homer Simpson shooting JFK from the window of the Texas Book Depository... doesn't mean that's what happened. A legend to Tyrone people

Except, ya know, back in the real world, this actually happened...

The Kerry players face is clearly in the Croke Park turf, therefore Conor isn't roaring into his face

From the Bunker

Quote from: tiempo on January 03, 2015, 11:16:35 AM
A very good defender at his best..but he was a passenger for a couple of years now in fairness.
Some of his "antics" will not be any loss either though. Loved to drop the knee on prone opponents and the like. There's a photo of him taken a few seconds after the final whistle went in one of Tyrone's All Ireland victories in which he is roaring into a defeated opponent's face, which doesn't say a lot for his character.

I've seen a photo of Homer Simpson shooting JFK from the window of the Texas Book Depository... doesn't mean that's what happened. A legend to Tyrone people

The Kerry players face is clearly in the Croke Park turf, therefore Conor isn't roaring into his face

In fairness the Kerry players head is facing to the side and not into the ground. And Conor is hunched and facing into him!

BennyHarp

Maybe he's just cheering to himself and the Kerry lad just happens to be there!
That was never a square ball!!

sensethetone

No one knows if Conor has actually said anything?? Also it's hard to tell how much distance there are between the
two men rather than just assume Conor is directly over the Kerry lad. 

imtommygunn

Great player but renowned for that kind of behaviour...

I guess the positive spin on it is that he was a real winner who did what it takes. You can't argue with his medal haul. Will be  remembered much more fondly by tyrone fans than elsewhere!

Syferus

Quote from: sensethetone on January 03, 2015, 02:00:31 PM
No one knows if Conor has actually said anything?? Also it's hard to tell how much distance there are between the

Oh come on. You sound like a SF supporter trying to spin that picture. He did it. Fin. Moving on..

INDIANA

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 03, 2015, 08:53:47 AM
Haven't been on the board for a while but this thread reminds me of the good old days on here where yes you expect total bias from your main rivals but its great reading posts from more balanced neutrals who may have taken their fair share if slagging from your fellow county colleagues but are brave enough to stand up and speak the truth.
Conor Gormley was our best defender in my lifetime for Tyrone. He was a forwards nightmare and you knew you were in for a hell if a battle. Yes of course he was no angel but his darker side usually didn't stoop as low as some others I could name. Every team needs such a defender that strikes fear and self doubt into a player's mind.
Fair play to Stevie McDonnell for his excellent tweet and Conor Mortimer too but I'd say Oisin won't be so kind in his words.
Conor too had a bad impact on the Dubs with him closing out a lot of their best players with Alan Brogan in particular coming off worst perhaps.
Legend us a word often used for players like Canavan and Mickey Linden and Jack O Shea but to me Block is right up there. If Dublin had a defender like him now they would be hard to beat.

Dont be worrying about whether we have defenders or not. I'd worry about whether you'll even be competitive this year. Signs aren't good.

tiempo

Quote from: Syferus on January 03, 2015, 04:11:31 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on January 03, 2015, 02:00:31 PM

Oh come on. You sound like a SF supporter trying to spin that picture. He did it. Fin. Moving on..

The accusation was that Conor roared into a Kerry players face. How do you qualify a roar from that photo, it could have been a whispered "Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss"

Main Street

Tyrone fans are all too hasty to label Conor's actions as trampish, who can say what provoked such a display of 'in your face' exuberance towards the prostrate Kerry player..

Now that Conor's gone, that leaves Dick Clerkin -  alone he stands, true grit.

LeoMc

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 03, 2015, 12:55:24 PM
Quote from: tiempo on January 03, 2015, 11:16:35 AM

In fairness the Kerry players head is facing to the side and not into the ground. And Conor is hunched and facing into him!
Was the reel of photos not produced afterwards which showed that he was turning back towards the goals to celebrate and that , out of context this looked worse than the reality.

IMO after the final whistle any further goading would not only be pointless but counterproductive.

The Stallion

Gormley was a good footballer but has been poor for about 5 years. And as has been pointed out he lacked class and basic respect for his opponents. Too many nasty digs with knees and fists.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2015, 06:44:23 PM
That photo shows nahin. Apart from Donaghy abusing Justin.

And the ref doing a Premier League style celebration.
MWWSI 2017

NaomhBridAbĂș

The picture says less about his character and more about yours
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye