Conor Gormley retires

Started by give her dixie, January 01, 2015, 01:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: illdecide on January 01, 2015, 10:12:22 PM
He was a good defender and a hardy hoor too but tbh his legs had gone and prob should have packed county football in last year. Def one of Tyrone's best defenders and will be a big miss even having him around for training and keeping the younger lads on their toes.
The way this is going majority of inter county players now realise that they need to give their clubs a good couple of years before they hang them up so they make the call...Can go with his head held high and owes Tyrone nowt...

Good luck Conor...

Even though he probably wasn't as sharp as 3-4 years ago, when he came on in games last year he usually left the field as Tyrone's best defender. Maybe that says more about what's there now.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

It says a lot for him when some here think his legs were gone and he still end up as past few years as being Tyrone's best defender. His legs might not have been going as hard as they were when he was in his 20s but his brain certainly was.

It proves what a top class defender he was, bring able to compete and win most of his battles.

Whishtup

Have to say, I  was always happy to see him coming on in this past few years as he shored up the defence, midfield and always distributed the ball cleverly.  Quite often when we were starting to get bossed in that area, he came on and 'reversed the bossing'.  A real Roy Keane for Tyrone-always gave 100%, lifted the team up a notch, hated by opponents, bullied by nobody-legend.

red hander

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 01, 2015, 10:10:38 PM
A very good defender at his best..but he was a passenger for a couple of years now in fairness.
Some of his "antics" will not be any loss either though. Loved to drop the knee on prone opponents and the like. There's a photo of him taken a few seconds after the final whistle went in one of Tyrone's All Ireland victories in which he is roaring into a defeated opponent's face, which doesn't say a lot for his character.

I've seen a photo of Homer Simpson shooting JFK from the window of the Texas Book Depository... doesn't mean that's what happened. A legend to Tyrone people

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: red hander on January 02, 2015, 05:07:22 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 01, 2015, 10:10:38 PM
A very good defender at his best..but he was a passenger for a couple of years now in fairness.
Some of his "antics" will not be any loss either though. Loved to drop the knee on prone opponents and the like. There's a photo of him taken a few seconds after the final whistle went in one of Tyrone's All Ireland victories in which he is roaring into a defeated opponent's face, which doesn't say a lot for his character.

I've seen a photo of Homer Simpson shooting JFK from the window of the Texas Book Depository... doesn't mean that's what happened. A legend to Tyrone people

Except, ya know, back in the real world, this actually happened...

"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

ONeill

That photo shows nahin. Apart from Donaghy abusing Justin.

From the Bunker

God knows Mayo people have their fill of AI ghosts, but that Tyrone group will forever haunt Kerry people. Bar the Down teams of the 60's Kerry sooner or later get the upper hand on their nemesis in an era. But not this Tyrone group. It still hurts them in Kerry!

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 02, 2015, 07:01:47 PM
God knows Mayo people have their fill of AI ghosts, but that Tyrone group will forever haunt Kerry people. Bar the Down teams of the 60's Kerry sooner or later get the upper hand on their nemesis in an era. But not this Tyrone group. It still hurts them in Kerry!

Do you not remember the day Paul started crying in Killarney when they beat them. I thought D. Brady had grown a beard or something.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on January 02, 2015, 07:24:55 PM

Do you not remember the day Paul started crying in Killarney when they beat them. I thought D. Brady had grown a beard or something.

That's the thing! Nobody will remember that game. It must boggle of minds of Kerry people that even soft center Mayo beat them in 2004 in Croker.

ONeill

I see Gormley said today that the Cork defeat in '09 hurt most.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 02, 2015, 07:37:19 PM

That's the thing! Nobody will remember that game. It must boggle of minds of Kerry people that even soft center Mayo beat them in 2004 in Croker.

You are just embarrassing yourself at this stage.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on January 02, 2015, 08:55:59 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 02, 2015, 07:37:19 PM

You are just embarrassing yourself at this stage.

;D  ;)

rrhf

Stopped the three in a row that mayo team.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2015, 08:22:30 PM
I see Gormley said today that the Cork defeat in '09 hurt most.

Spillane had an orgasm in the studio after that game. He was so happy Cork were through.

Mike Sheehy

You are a strange lad. A Tyrone poster trolls Mayo with the "Mayo complex" thread and here you are sucking up to them just to have a go at Kerry. weird.