2023 World Cup

Started by RealSpiritof98, December 04, 2014, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: screenexile on December 05, 2014, 08:18:52 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on December 05, 2014, 07:28:48 PM
Would be great for tourism in ireland. From a purely GAA point of view, it would be a negative development, would give a massive boost to one of the GAA's main competitors

I don't buy that. The GAA should be confident enough in our Sport and its participation rates that we shouldn't look on something like this so negatively.

I can't see us hosting the Rugby World Cup having any kind of detrimental effect on the GAA!

Quote from: laoislad on December 05, 2014, 08:30:12 PM
I don't like Rugby, hate it with a passion in fact and would never watch a game of it but something like this would be fantastic for the country in more ways than one. I hope they succeed in getting it.

Why is it only GAA people who bang on about being in competition with other organisations? I never hear soccer or Rugby people talk that way.
It was the same aul shite talk when then opened up Croke Park to soccer and Rugby.

Have to concur with both posts. I don't get this negativity/fear of other codes/games. Do we worry about Boxers winning Olympic medals? GAA's biggest enemy down the years has been emigration, not Soccer, not Rugby!

macdanger2

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 06, 2014, 10:32:18 AM
Would be great for tourism in ireland. From a purely GAA point of view, it would be a negative development, would give a massive boost to one of the GAA's main competitors
What about the money the GAA would have to get to bring some grounds up to standard? That could be a positive legacy for the GAA for many years to come.

That's true and I think the govt funding the gaa gets probably means they have to be seen to be supporting such a bid. This is probably one of the biggest world sporting events ireland are ever likely to host and the interest in rugby it would generate would be huge.

To think that the gaa are not in competition with soccer, rugby, etc is rubbish imo. In many parts of the country, there is absolutely no rugby played, if as a result of the wc, these kids were to start playing rugby, some of them are likely to continue playing into adulthood at the expense of playing gaa, this means less players for some clubs (potentially a major problem for small clubs) and assuming that some of these players are top players, a lower standard of football / hurling.

laoislad

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 06, 2014, 12:05:13 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on December 06, 2014, 10:32:18 AM
What about the money the GAA would have to get to bring some grounds up to standard? That could be a positive legacy for the GAA for many years to come.

That's true and I think the govt funding the gaa gets probably means they have to be seen to be supporting such a bid. This is probably one of the biggest world sporting events ireland are ever likely to host and the interest in rugby it would generate would be huge.

To think that the gaa are not in competition with soccer, rugby, etc is rubbish imo. In many parts of the country, there is absolutely no rugby played, if as a result of the wc, these kids were to start playing rugby, some of them are likely to continue playing into adulthood at the expense of playing gaa, this means less players for some clubs (potentially a major problem for small clubs) and assuming that some of these players are top players, a lower standard of football / hurling.
I doubt this tournament coming to Ireland would have any negative effect on GAA but if something like you say did happen then that would be fantastic imo.
It would give a young fella who loves and wants to play sport a choice.Rather than been forced to play a sport just because they are the only show in town he could try them all and see what he liked or what he was good at. It's not really fair to want a lad to play GAA just to keep the numbers up.
He might find he was better at Rugby or Soccer or Golf or whatever.
I come from a very strong hurling background but was never any good at it myself so I played soccer all my life because I was decent enough at it. I was lucky I had the choice in my town to play either sport. Most on my soccer team actually all played Gaa anyway.
It didn't ever stop me loving hurling or being a member of my local gaa club when I lived at home.
Anyway as I said I doubt it will or would have a negative effect anyway it's just the usual bullshite we hear from some..
Sure opening up Croke Park was going to be the death knell of the Gaa  ::)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Zulu

That's pretty much it. I doubt there'll be very many new clubs started in Ireland just because a tournament, already well known in Ireland, is held there. We have two great sports, brilliant facilities around the country, massive social currency and deep ties to communities across the country. We've nothing to fear and should wholeheartedly support this for many reasons.