2023 World Cup

Started by RealSpiritof98, December 04, 2014, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Sidney on December 04, 2014, 11:40:45 PM
Here's something I did out a year ago about how a potential hosting might work in practice:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1siupu8
Seating isn't such a huge deal for rugby. New Zealand used venues with a decent amount of standing areas.
Media facilities would be an important factor with several broadcasters wanting to cover the games simultaneously. Venues like Nowlan Park would be archaic in that regard, but 9 years is a long time to get that right.

Also, the capacity and location won't matter so much for the mickey mouse ties which won't bring a large travelling support. The mythical Georgia vs. Namibia tie.
It depends how determined the IRFU would be to use their own venues. They may see this as a chance to upgrade places like Musgrave Park and Galway Greyhound track.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 05, 2014, 09:28:15 AM
Quote from: Sidney on December 04, 2014, 11:40:45 PM
Here's something I did out a year ago about how a potential hosting might work in practice:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1siupu8
Seating isn't such a huge deal for rugby. New Zealand used venues with a decent amount of standing areas.
Media facilities would be an important factor with several broadcasters wanting to cover the games simultaneously. Venues like Nowlan Park would be archaic in that regard, but 9 years is a long time to get that right.

Also, the capacity and location won't matter so much for the mickey mouse ties which won't bring a large travelling support. The mythical Georgia vs. Namibia tie.
It depends how determined the IRFU would be to use their own venues. They may see this as a chance to upgrade places like Musgrave Park and Galway Greyhound track.

Connacht Rugby are only tenants in the Sportsground in Galway so cant see how the IRFU would redevelop there, if the IGB had a pot to piss in they would be out on there ear as well.

AZOffaly

Musgrave Park is already being redeveloped, but I doubt they'll do much more to it. Unlike the GAA I don't think the IRFU want two relatively huge stadia in Munster.

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on December 04, 2014, 10:20:04 PM
Do you think there would even be talk of a bid if that wasn't already a done deal?

That's what Peter Aiken thought.

fatdog

Going on the last world cup in New Zealand they used 12 stadiums in 12 different cities/town across the country. Average capacity roughly 28000.

In terms of stadiums Ireland has more that enough. However I'm not sure if we would be able to get an even spread of stadiums across the country and the majority of the GAA stadiums in Ireland are still terraced which may be an issue.

That being said if Casement park and Páirc Uí Chaoimh are sorted by 2023 that would be big boost and I'm sure some of the terraces in current GAA grounds could have seating installed. Could also potentially use venues outside of the county like Millennium Stadium and Murrayfield (England are staging games in Cardiff for next years world cup and France also availed of the Millennium Stadium during the 2007 world cup).

If the bid is well planned and managed well we are in with a shout, would personally love to see it happening!

LeoMc

Quote from: fatdog on December 05, 2014, 04:45:15 PM
Going on the last world cup in New Zealand they used 12 stadiums in 12 different cities/town across the country. Average capacity roughly 28000.

In terms of stadiums Ireland has more that enough. However I'm not sure if we would be able to get an even spread of stadiums across the country and the majority of the GAA stadiums in Ireland are still terraced which may be an issue.

That being said if Casement park and Páirc Uí Chaoimh are sorted by 2023 that would be big boost and I'm sure some of the terraces in current GAA grounds could have seating installed. Could also potentially use venues outside of the county like Millennium Stadium and Murrayfield (England are staging games in Cardiff for next years world cup and France also availed of the Millennium Stadium during the 2007 world cup).

If the bid is well planned and managed well we are in with a shout, would personally love to see it happening!
Croke park and Lansdowne
Ravenhill and Casement
Clones and McHale?
Salthill and ?
Thomond & Parc Ui Caomhe
Nowlan & Wexford park

foxcommander

Quote from: LeoMc on December 05, 2014, 05:37:16 PM
Quote from: fatdog on December 05, 2014, 04:45:15 PM

Croke park and Lansdowne
Ravenhill and Casement
Clones and McHale?
Salthill and ?
Thomond & Parc Ui Caomhe
Nowlan & Wexford park

This should be a more realistic list of 12 stadiums for the rugby bid to use.

Aviva Stadium
Thomand Park
Windsor Park
RDS
Kingspan Belfast
Dalymount Park
Malahide Cricket Ground
Tolka Park
Musgrave Park
Dubarry Park Athlone
Showgrounds Newry
Donnybrook
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

macdanger2

Would be great for tourism in ireland. From a purely GAA point of view, it would be a negative development, would give a massive boost to one of the GAA's main competitors

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 05, 2014, 03:46:38 PM
Musgrave Park is already being redeveloped, but I doubt they'll do much more to it. Unlike the GAA I don't think the IRFU want two relatively huge stadia in Munster.

How many large stadia are in Munster GAA already?

Pairc Ui Caoimh, Semple, Fitzgerald Stadium, Gaelic Grounds... 4 is a fair amount for such a small area!

twohands!!!

Government i.e. taxpayers underwriting this for up to €120 million apparently.

I'm also very skeptical about all those claims about events like World Cups and Olympics being worth huge massive amounts of money to host countries.

In terms of tourists visiting from overseas I can definitely see a decent number of folk travelling to Ireland for a rugby World Cup. However I would be shocked if a lot of these folk didn't end up causing a serious amount of cannibalisation of the 6Nations in the years before and after with folk from France, England, Scotland,Italy and Wales skipping visiting Dublin around for Ireland home games in those years for a trip to the World Cup. I'd also be wary of other tourists staying away from Ireland during the course of the world cup for fear of increased prices and crowds.

The English are paying the IRB/World Rugby £80m for the "privilege" of hosting the 2015 RWC and as a result the ticket prices are seriously tasty. Cheapest category ticket for pool games New Zealand was under €5 while the cost for the same category in England 2015 is €19.

Also the only place that can hold the semi-finals and finals are the Croke Park as the stadium needs to have a capacity for 60,000 which will be a bit weird.

I'd really like to see pretty detailed work on the financial estimates that are underlying the whole thing - if I had to guess right now I would guess that a lot of taxpayers money will end up getting spent on making stadiums fancier and that the benefit to the economy will be a lot less than the optimistic consultant's reports..

screenexile

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 05, 2014, 07:28:48 PM
Would be great for tourism in ireland. From a purely GAA point of view, it would be a negative development, would give a massive boost to one of the GAA's main competitors

I don't buy that. The GAA should be confident enough in our Sport and its participation rates that we shouldn't look on something like this so negatively.

I can't see us hosting the Rugby World Cup having any kind of detrimental effect on the GAA!

laoislad

I don't like Rugby, hate it with a passion in fact and would never watch a game of it but something like this would be fantastic for the country in more ways than one. I hope they succeed in getting it.

Why is it only GAA people who bang on about being in competition with other organisations? I never hear soccer or Rugby people talk that way.
It was the same aul shite talk when then opened up Croke Park to soccer and Rugby.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

If it would weaken Kilkenny I think it would be well worth it

Maguire01

What about the money the GAA would have to get to bring some grounds up to standard? That could be a positive legacy for the GAA for many years to come.

Zulu

Agree, there's no downside for the GAA here and I hope it comes to pass.