The GAA Rat Race

Started by DennistheMenace, November 28, 2014, 01:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

JoG2

Quote from: orangeman on January 15, 2015, 10:47:59 AM
The GPA can sort these problems out. They just need a bit more funding.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/dessie-farrell-says-gpa-facing-serious-funding-challenges-1.2066125

Dessie is the the GAA equivalent of our Wullie...more dosh Dessie

"Among the projects planned in the 2014 annual report is to develop a specifically built GAA Player Institute, with an estimated cost of between €8-€10 million".

What is this does anyone know? A big massy building with statues of Dessie and co located at the marble entrance? An institute for all players? Elite players?  Dessie is spending the our association's money like its 2006 ! Reel him in ffs

AZOffaly

Quote from: JoG2 on January 15, 2015, 10:56:50 AM
Quote from: orangeman on January 15, 2015, 10:47:59 AM
The GPA can sort these problems out. They just need a bit more funding.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/dessie-farrell-says-gpa-facing-serious-funding-challenges-1.2066125

Dessie is the the GAA equivalent of our Wullie...more dosh Dessie

"Among the projects planned in the 2014 annual report is to develop a specifically built GAA Player Institute, with an estimated cost of between €8-€10 million".

What is this does anyone know? A big massy building with statues of Dessie and co located at the marble entrance? An institute for all players? Elite players?  Dessie is spending the our association's money like its 2006 ! Reel him in ffs

A GAA Player Institute? What's that supposed to be? Costing 8-10 million? This is what I was on about when I spoke about the GAA chasing more money to build more stuff, whether it's needed or not. The business model justifying itself. How many American Football games in Croker for this, or Leinster championship matches with Dublin in Croker?

muppet

I had to look up this Institute to see what they had in mind.

This was an unlikely source for info: https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/gpa-set-build-institute-help-personal-development-players-133041171--spt.html

The gaelic players Association today launched their annual report for 2014 and outlined their ambitions for the year ahead.

With rapid increase in engagement by county players with the GPA Development Programme over the past 12 months, the organisation is set to focus even more the personal development of players off the field in 2015.

Indeed, the GPA has outlined ambitious plans to create a world class facility known as The Institute which will support their key activities in careers, education, life skills, leadership, health and well-being.

The report says the facility will either be constructed as a stand-alone centre or co-located on a business, sporting or educational campus.

Building the estimated 2,250 sq meter facility is expected to bring the GPA's annual expenditure from €3.3 million to €7 million with additional annual capital expenditure of between €8-10 million.

Speaking at the launch, Dessie Farrell, CEO of the GPA said:

"There is more and more evidence to suggest that there is a tangible link between off field development and on field success across a range of sports which is important information for everyone involved in our games.

"Our ambition in the GPA is to have one of the best Player Development Programmes in the world so that county players, who are commercially harnessed for the wider benefit of the GAA, are properly supported with their off-field careers.

"To make that a reality it requires us to think differently about player development and to invest heavily in it ensuring that more and more players transition from the county game prepared for life after.
"It is also imperative that the county game continues to prosper and maintains its pre-eminence on the sporting calendar."

My initial reaction is that this is badly needed in, for example, the NFL. The Premier League could possibly do with it as well. The idea and concept are good for cash rich sports, but is it needed that badly to justify the cost to the GAA family? I don't see it myself.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Pre the crash a lot of top players got jobs "in the bank". Eg Shefflin. But that model must be dead now with all the cutbacks and the committment of players if anything has intensified.  So helping them with careers beyond buying a pub or opening a sports shop should be encouraged. Not everyone will need help but a certain number will.

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on January 15, 2015, 11:50:17 AM
Pre the crash a lot of top players got jobs "in the bank". Eg Shefflin. But that model must be dead now with all the cutbacks and the committment of players if anything has intensified.  So helping them with careers beyond buying a pub or opening a sports shop should be encouraged. Not everyone will need help but a certain number will.

No problem with that at all. I'm not saying the work the GPA put into helping lads with careers, interviews etc is bad, in fact my father is playing a similar role at this stage for a county team. I also support any initiatives they have to help players with health, mental or otherwise. But building an institute for this seems yet another 'project' which may not be actually required, and will put pressure on the GAA to maintain or increase revenue streams, which in turn is, I believe, influencing decisions made with regards to our games.

macdanger2

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 15, 2015, 12:16:21 PM

No problem with that at all. I'm not saying the work the GPA put into helping lads with careers, interviews etc is bad, in fact my father is playing a similar role at this stage for a county team. I also support any initiatives they have to help players with health, mental or otherwise. But building an institute for this seems yet another 'project' which may not be actually required, and will put pressure on the GAA to maintain or increase revenue streams, which in turn is, I believe, influencing decisions made with regards to our games.

Agree 100%

twohands!!!

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 15, 2015, 09:36:23 PM

Agree 100%

Can you say overblown ego-massaging project?

waterfordlad

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0116/673156-kavanagh-warns-no-inter-county-for-old-men/

Here are Rory Kavanagh's views on it.
Michael Duignan also had a go at the current training regimes at a GAA awards night in Waterford last weekend.

rionach 4

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 15, 2015, 09:36:23 PM

Agree 100%
I agree entirely with you on this . You seem to have your hand on the pulse on quite a few things.

screenexile

Eamonnca1

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 19, 2015, 06:25:10 AM
Good, but not that good..

Interesting but don't agree with it all. For example, if GAA Go's aim is only to broaden participation, why charge for it?

Eamonnca1

GAAGo's aim is not to broaden participation, that's about accommodating demand from existing GAA fans. It's the Sky and Channel 7 parts that reach the new audiences.