Tyrone Retirements

Started by Muzz, November 14, 2014, 12:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

anyone else retire? Forced or voluntarily?

I heard a few names mentioned.

easytiger95

In a previous life I would have been working at many League games that o'Neill would have been involved in - i was directing games for Setanta and I remember particularly the League opener in 2007 and the 125th anniversary match in 2009 where we were actually scouring replays in the OB trucks trying to figure out how he scored from the angles he shot from - I remember thinking that I'd seen Graham Geraghty score some amazing points against Dublin, but this guy did it far more regularly and a lot more ease. Also remember him in a couple of Parnell Park league matches circa 2003 -2006 - tough as nails and they were some hard games.

Lethal, absolutely lethal, and any team at any time would have wanted him. Injury may have curtailed his medal haul (though even that is brilliant as it stands) but the memories he left will last a lot longer. Hope he and Penrose enjoy honourable retirement.

NaomhBridAbĂș

Quote from: easytiger95 on November 18, 2014, 01:11:21 PM
In a previous life I would have been working at many League games that o'Neill would have been involved in - i was directing games for Setanta and I remember particularly the League opener in 2007 and the 125th anniversary match in 2009 where we were actually scouring replays in the OB trucks trying to figure out how he scored from the angles he shot from - I remember thinking that I'd seen Graham Geraghty score some amazing points against Dublin, but this guy did it far more regularly and a lot more ease. Also remember him in a couple of Parnell Park league matches circa 2003 -2006 - tough as nails and they were some hard games.

Lethal, absolutely lethal, and any team at any time would have wanted him. Injury may have curtailed his medal haul (though even that is brilliant as it stands) but the memories he left will last a lot longer. Hope he and Penrose enjoy honourable retirement.

Thats as good a testimonial as I have read about him...Penrose outstanding also...
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

armaghniac

Lethal, absolutely lethal, and any team at any time would have wanted him. Injury may have curtailed his medal haul (though even that is brilliant as it stands) but the memories he left will last a lot longer.

Let's hope players pf this calibre remain in the memory in Tyrone and that there aren't any more of them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

theticklemister

Poor Penrose not getting a look-in on this thread

theticklemister

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 17, 2014, 04:26:45 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on November 17, 2014, 04:18:25 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on November 17, 2014, 12:19:56 PM
A very good player but would not be seen as a top top player mind you they are only h a hand ful and evey one would have their favorites
only people i would have would be (leaving out all the mayo names) its a bit kerry centic but they semm to have won about half the All Ireland since i was born
canavan
Maurice fitzgerald
Gooch
Jack o'shea
Trevor Giles

O Neill was a superior player to Giles. It's pointless bringing Jacko into the equation as he's a midfielder. You cannot grade players when they don't play in the same area of the pitch.

In my view O Neill is second only to Fitzgerald and Matt Connor (who I can't split) in the last 25 years. I've never seen another forward kick the sort of scores outside those two that o Neill can kick.

2005 replay versus dublin he kicked a point off his right foot from the right corner with two dublin lads hanging out of him. I  remember just shaking my head thinking this guy just operates a different orbit.

Or the 2011 league game in croker when he kicked about 1-10. he kicked a point off his left foot when directly parallel to the endline. If Cristiano Ronaldo did it they'd still be showing replays of it. But because he did it so often it was just taken for granted.

Very good player? Charlie Redmond was a very good player. O Neill was a genius- there is a difference.

I completely agree there.  I remember playing against him in a challenge match back in circa 1999/2000 when he was playing with the Tyrone u21's.  They played us in Cross and he gave us the runaround the whole day and embarrassed us.  It was great as it was a real grounding experience for us at the time!

He had everything in terms of pure ability, ball winning, he had lovely balance and was probably pound for pound the most important player of the Tyrone team that won the AIs.  If he had been injury free he would have been one of the greatest players that ever played the game and definitely better than Canavan.

Stop showing off lad, I once marked Joe Brolly when he played for Dungiven Thirds

randomusername

Not sure I'd go as far as saying he was better as Canavan, who was more than capable of scoring from ridiculous positions as well e.g. this on his weaker left foot about two minutes in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJoC6cBE7U0

Ah memories, all in the past now I suppose

nrico2006

Some of the scores he got in the 2007 and 2009 Dublin games were unreal.  As mentioned, he could score of either foot from both endlines, the number of times he put the ball over from acute angles was unreal.  My favourite memory of him was when he came on in the 2003 final and sealed the victory with the two insurance points.  The last one came at a stage when I was on edge and I always remember thinking it looked so obvious that he was leading the Armagh defender to believe he was shooting on his right (as if the man was unaware that he was left footed and thought he had him covered on his right), I was so relieved when I saw his take it to his left side as I knew he wouldn't miss and that was that.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DennistheMenace

O'Neill or McDonnell is a tough one.

screenexile

omaghjoe

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 19, 2014, 08:43:34 AM

Some of the scores he got in the 2007 and 2009 Dublin games were unreal.  As mentioned, he could score of either foot from both endlines, the number of times he put the ball over from acute angles was unreal.  My favourite memory of him was when he came on in the 2003 final and sealed the victory with the two insurance points.  The last one came at a stage when I was on edge and I always remember thinking it looked so obvious that he was leading the Armagh defender to believe he was shooting on his right (as if the man was unaware that he was left footed and thought he had him covered on his right), I was so relieved when I saw his take it to his left side as I knew he wouldn't miss and that was that.

I've always wondered why didn't he start in the 2003 final?

ose 14

o neill was good but i wouldnt say a great he had one great season in 2005. apart from a few cameo appearances in league games usually against dublin he was often inconsistent. his much maligned club colleague mr dooher for me was a more valuable player for tyrone not as aesthetic on the eye but what a man. he should have been the 2008 footballer of the year as his displays against dublin/kerry that year were immense. oneill held his manager to ransom for most of 2008 and then threw a hissy fit after the final sorry not for me. penrose was a worker and a good boy a delight for harte enough said. we have more to worry about i hear joey mac and gormley are also pulling the pin to me those guys far outshine oneill and penrose.

Max Payne

Quote from: ose 14 on November 19, 2014, 07:36:22 PM
o neill was good but i wouldnt say a great he had one great season in 2005. apart from a few cameo appearances in league games usually against dublin he was often inconsistent. his much maligned club colleague mr dooher for me was a more valuable player for tyrone not as aesthetic on the eye but what a man. he should have been the 2008 footballer of the year as his displays against dublin/kerry that year were immense. oneill held his manager to ransom for most of 2008 and then threw a hissy fit after the final sorry not for me. penrose was a worker and a good boy a delight for harte enough said. we have more to worry about i hear joey mac and gormley are also pulling the pin to me those guys far outshine oneill and penrose.

Ach get away out of that!! You sound like a pup whos tail hadn't reached full growth up until last year. Did you see Stevy O'Neill in action in 01, 03, 04, 05? Over those 4 years alone he was consistently excellent. Hissy fit? Gather yourself. As well as being a top player, Stevy has always been a gentleman and a role model.

ose 14

a gentleman and a role model if you hadnt to mark him or dare touch him in club football. some red tinted specs on here his injury record makes the first day of the somme look like a teddy bears picnic. for the last 5 years didnt know if tony hart or micke harte was looking after him.

nrico2006

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 19, 2014, 04:20:36 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 19, 2014, 08:43:34 AM

I've always wondered why didn't he start in the 2003 final?

In 2003 he was at University in England I think for most of the year I think.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'