Tyrone Retirements

Started by Muzz, November 14, 2014, 12:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Who can forget him putting mc geeney on his arse.  Son thanks for the memories. Had as much skill as any player in Ireland over the last 20 years. Would have made any great team in history. 

Archie Mitchell

2005 was a vintage year for him alright. Was a real leader that year and stood up when was needed most! Hit some monster scores in Croker that year when the pressure was on.

He didn't just do it at county level, I seen him put on an exhibition of point scoring v Coalisland in the Championship at Omagh. Can't remember the year but he easily scored over 10 points in that game which finished a draw and hit some classic outrageous scores.

clarshack

One of the most skillful players to grace the game but unfortunately injuries mean that he probably won't be considered a true great like Canavan or gooch.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: clarshack on November 15, 2014, 01:04:16 AM
One of the most skillful players to grace the game but unfortunately injuries mean that he probably won't be considered a true great like Canavan or gooch.

I would agree with that. He was superb in 2005 but that was one of the very few summers that Stevie was free of injury and able to get a real run of games. He had some brilliant individual performances after making his comeback but all too often he ended up injured when the big games came about. It must have been very frustrating for Stevie to put so much into the game and not be able to get to the heights he knew he was capable of due to injury. I think it's a good call by him to call it a day now, thanks for the memories.

Penrose was also a very good servant. Always felt he didn't quite have the composure at crucial times to be a really top player but he was a very effective performer and particularly good in 2008. All the best to him as well.

ONeill

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

He was winning All Stars long before that golden generation (2001) and after (2009). I think even last year he was player of the month, 13 years after his first.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

O'Neill might not have always dominated games, and may have had periods when injury etc made him less influential. But this does not make him less a great player. Frank McGuigan only played a few great games for Tyrone, but those prove the point.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tiempo

Quote from: ONeill on November 15, 2014, 11:40:38 PM

He was winning All Stars long before that golden generation (2001) and after (2009). I think even last year he was player of the month, 13 years after his first.

Agree with that and the point below, people have short memories, even in Tyrone, Stevie is a great in his own era and any era. He didn't re-invent the game but he was untouchable for over a decade, also he wasnt a small boy, he shipped his fair amount of attention from the top defenders of the day and left one on one against any of them he made hay. In later years he was double teamed such was the respect he had from opposition managers. A target man and marquee mobile inside forward rolled into one.

T Fearon

Fitting that his career was more or less bookended by championship defeats by Armagh in 02 and 14

redhandloo

Quote from: T Fearon on November 16, 2014, 01:49:56 AM
Fitting that his career was more or less bookended by championship defeats by Armagh in 02 and 14
His three celtic crosses will help him get over that ailment.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

tiempo

Was he a teenager still when he helped himself to 5 points off Kieran McGeeney in 2001 from CHF before taking the All Star for the same position? Or maybe just U21? Not really bookended at all by Armagh was he.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/1341339.stm

Fuzzman

Ricey looked alright yesterday or Ulster.
If we're bring back McCarron sure might as well bring back Ricey too. His reading of the game is excellent.
On a serious note, Petey Harte stood out last night.
Was weird seeing Ulster play in Dark blue

rrhf

Quote from: tiempo on November 16, 2014, 11:17:43 AM

Was he a teenager still when he helped himself to 5 points off Kieran McGeeney in 2001 from CHF before taking the All Star for the same position? Or maybe just U21? Not really bookended at all by Armagh was he.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/1341339.stm
better than that he was playing senior champuonship to great effect from 1999.

muppet

I remembering watching him getting stupidly sent of in a League game years ago and thinking for all his obviously talent, he would get nowhere due to a questionable temperament.

Great prediction that one!  ;D ;D

A class player who was always a joy to watch, even when he was doing this to us at 2:36: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7jxX1Yzdgs
MWWSI 2017

mb80b60

Quote from: muppet on November 16, 2014, 03:41:49 PM
I remembering watching him getting stupidly sent of in a League game years ago and thinking for all his obviously talent, he would get nowhere due to a questionably temperament.

Great prediction that one!  ;D ;D

A class player who was always a joy to watch, even when he was doing this to us at 2:36: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7jxX1Yzdgs

Nice finish but how did the referee not blow him for overcarrying?

INDIANA

Quote from: ONeill on November 15, 2014, 11:40:38 PM

Agreed it's complete nonsense. The man was a genius.