Scottish Independance and a United Ireland

Started by Orior, November 09, 2014, 10:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Has anyone got some time on their hands? I would like a list of bullet points describing why a United Ireland would be a good thing.

All you have to do is go through the Scottish Indepenance arguments, and the Better Together arguments and pickout the ones that can be used for a United Ireland. A Nation Once Again.

Thanks in advance

Orior.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

You are not a colony. Everything else is detail.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

I was thinking about this recently. An United Ireland would be a state of mind only. Because no matter if you're under Ireland, Britain or Europe, its the bankers that really run the show.

The elite bankers ultimately dictate everything that happens in our lives: how much you earn, the amount of jobs, mortgage rates, loan rates, taxes, food prices, fuel prices, how much you have to spend etc. The governments then will f**k up the place because the banks are in charge and they're only following a budget.

Look at this country since 2007 - thousands leaving, houses repossessed, huge debts, no jobs, cuts here there and everywhere. Who's suffering? The average Joe, that's who. It matters not one diddly squat which jurisdiction the North (or South) is under. It'll just be a different set of wankers screwing us up the tailpipe.

Hereiam

They who control the money control the people

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Orior on November 09, 2014, 10:04:07 PMAll you have to do is go through the ...Better Together arguments

- You're fat alcoholics who need us to look after you
- The oil will run out
- We pay your benefits
- The Queen
- The war
- You'll lose your pension.

The problem is, there were no good arguments for Better Together, they won on fear, lies and scaremongering.

muppet

Quote from: Orior on November 09, 2014, 10:04:07 PM
Has anyone got some time on their hands? I would like a list of bullet points describing why a United Ireland would be a good thing.

All you have to do is go through the Scottish Indepenance arguments, and the Better Together arguments and pickout the ones that can be used for a United Ireland. A Nation Once Again.

Thanks in advance

Orior.

* The would be a civil war and of course war is always good for the economy.
* One side of that war would be led by Joint Chiefs of Staff Willie Frazer and Jamie Bryson.
* In that event even Patrick Neary could provide outstanding leadership.
* Northern Ireland already has no oil so the Better Together argument would be severely weakened.
* Even if they have oil did we would give back for free anyway like we did with our own.
* We would have a catchier name than Northern Ireland & The Republic of Ireland - such as Ireland - or Debtland.

MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Achieving a united Ireland requires achieving a united Northern Ireland first. It requires breaking down divisions in the north to the point where a significant number of northern Protestants would want to buy into the idea of reunification in terms that would benefit them. It would require  the number of hard line and violent loyalists to be small enough to be negligible. These are worthy goals in themselves.  I also happen to think that northern Protestants, when their minds are not polluted by orange bigotry, have a lot of qualities that would add value to a united Ireland.

It would also require the people of the south adopting a mature attitude to their British neighbours and dropping an instinctive hostility to the English that I'm not sure has fully gone away.

Above all it requires finishing the unfinished business of fixing Ireland's failure to properly absorb a million northern Protestants and their failure to be absorbed. They can't hide behind the city walls forever, they're going to have to come out and mingle with the natives sooner or later.

Myles Na G.

The question is not why Ireland should be reunited. The question is why should it not be? Until 90 years ago, Ireland had been viewed as a single country from early days. The Romans called us Hibernia, not Res Publica Hibernia or Hibernia Borealis. We were divided at the behest of a national minority which ignored the democratic wishes of the rest of the people of this island, as well as the wishes of the government of the UK which wanted to grant Ireland Home Rule at that time. A group which constituted a majority in only 3, maybe 4, counties on this island was then permitted to establish a state which included 2 other counties with nationalist majorities. This state has existed for 90 years and has demonstrably failed economically, politically and socially. The numbers of the national minority which established the state have shrunk to the extent where they will soon be a minority even within their own artificially created border. I repeat, the question should not be why Ireland should be reunited, but rather, why does Northern Ireland still exist?

OakleafCounty

I think we'd find the 'Better Together' side limited to NI unionists and maybe a few BNP and right wing tories. You definitly wouldn't find hoards of Labour and Lib Dem politicians rocking up like they did in Scotland.

But as a few have already said. It's the bankers that need to be tackled first!

OakleafCounty

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 10, 2014, 09:26:00 AM
The question is not why Ireland should be reunited. The question is why should it not be? Until 90 years ago, Ireland had been viewed as a single country from early days. The Romans called us Hibernia, not Res Publica Hibernia or Hibernia Borealis. We were divided at the behest of a national minority which ignored the democratic wishes of the rest of the people of this island, as well as the wishes of the government of the UK which wanted to grant Ireland Home Rule at that time. A group which constituted a majority in only 3, maybe 4, counties on this island was then permitted to establish a state which included 2 other counties with nationalist majorities. This state has existed for 90 years and has demonstrably failed economically, politically and socially. The numbers of the national minority which established the state have shrunk to the extent where they will soon be a minority even within their own artificially created border. I repeat, the question should not be why Ireland should be reunited, but rather, why does Northern Ireland still exist?

Because the majority within the six counties want it to exist as demonstrated by the fact there are more unionists than nationalists in Stormont. As demographics change Stormont will change and there will be a United Ireland.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 10, 2014, 09:40:06 AM

Because the majority within the six counties want it to exist as demonstrated by the fact there are more unionists than nationalists in Stormont. As demographics change Stormont will change and there will be a United Ireland.
And why should a majority within the 6 counties trump a majority in the 32?

Hardy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 10, 2014, 10:04:35 AM

You've heard about the Good Friday Agreement?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Hardy on November 10, 2014, 10:15:28 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 10, 2014, 10:04:35 AM

You've heard about the Good Friday Agreement?
What about the Good Friday Agreement? Like many others, I voted in favour of it, as it was the best deal on offer at the time and a way of ending the political violence on our streets. That doesn't mean that I gave up my right to want a reunited Ireland, or to believe that ultimately a 32 county Ireland would be better for all citizens of this island.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

MWWSI 2017