Dubs may as well take long lease on Croke Park

Started by Shamrock Shore, November 06, 2014, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I see that at last night's Leinster Council meeting the notion that the Dubs would be asked to travel bogwards to either Tullamore or Longford was pooh-poohed.

Now there is a QF date with Offaly or Longford with the Dub hurlers playing Galway as the opening match in Croke Park on May 31 2015.

God forbid that the Council might lose a few bob in dragging the Boyiz in Blue out of the capital in May. Feck sake.

Anyone know if this went to a vote or was it an Executive decision?

Croí na hÉireann

I'd imagine it was a vote SS. Last year the vote was 11-1 in favour of the Dubs playing in Croke Park. Laois were the only ones who were in favour and "co-incidentally" they were the ones due to play Dublin in the quarter final. To be fair there was over 40k at that match and with the attractive hurling game on before this year it should reach that total again. Taking the Dubs on tour is a non runner really until there is at least a 30k venue in Leinster somewhere.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

JoG2

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 06, 2014, 04:45:24 PM
I see that at last night's Leinster Council meeting the notion that the Dubs would be asked to travel bogwards to either Tullamore or Longford was pooh-poohed.

Now there is a QF date with Offaly or Longford with the Dub hurlers playing Galway as the opening match in Croke Park on May 31 2015.

God forbid that the Council might lose a few bob in dragging the Boyiz in Blue out of the capital in May. Feck sake.

the delegates vote was 11-1 in favour of playing all the matches in Croke Park apparently. You'd have to wonder about that

AZOffaly

Pathetic, spineless money grabbing Leinster counties. I do not include Dublin in that. But the rest of us should be ashamed. So what if you can 'only' host 15 or 20k people. The atmosphere would be electric.

manfromdelmonte

Its crazy that the grant to counties is based on the attendances at games in the province.

There should be a base level of grant to allow all counties budget for the year, and then additional monies added on if revenue is up.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 06, 2014, 05:10:22 PM
Pathetic, spineless money grabbing Leinster counties. I do not include Dublin in that. But the rest of us should be ashamed. So what if you can 'only' host 15 or 20k people. The atmosphere would be electric.
+1.
How many of the 41,000 at last year's Dublin Qtr final actually paid in on the day as opposed to long term ticket  holders/Corporate box types etc.?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: JoG2 on November 06, 2014, 05:02:14 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 06, 2014, 04:45:24 PM

the delegates vote was 11-1 in favour of playing all the matches in Croke Park apparently. You'd have to wonder about that

So which of Longford and Offaly gets the nod as the slinelessiest/most pathetic county in Leinster?

I'm happy with either

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Rossfan on November 06, 2014, 05:30:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 06, 2014, 05:10:22 PM
+1.
How many of the 41,000 at last year's Dublin Qtr final actually paid in on the day as opposed to long term ticket  holders/Corporate box types etc.?
That 41k includes Louth and Kildare fans. Also, not all of the Dublin fans who were in Croke Park would have the means or the desire to head further afield. You'd have a hardcore of around 10k who'd travel and would be delighted to get away from CP for a change.

INDIANA

11-1 was the vote taken.

So you can't blame us. I'm speaking on behalf of Dublin fans we are literally begging to be taken out of CP.

Thats why we get huge crowds at our away league games because its the only time we ever get a road trip.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: INDIANA on November 06, 2014, 08:17:01 PM
11-1 was the vote taken.

So you can't blame us. I'm speaking on behalf of Dublin fans we are literally begging to be taken out of CP.

Thats why we get huge crowds at our away league games because its the only time we ever get a road trip.

With a vote like that, not many are I'd say.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

heffo

You should all get lobby your counties through the correct means to get us out of Croke Park and so we can stop building clubhouses for ungrateful culchies.

I've a pain in my hole with Croke Park tbh.

Dont Matter

Maybe the Dubl$n fans should lobby their own board to get them out of Croke Park. The rest of the country want them out but the Dubl$n board have a professional system to pay for.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Shamrock Shore

Look - I know that the Boyiz on the Hill ultimately end up paying for a dressing room for Naomh Culchiebastards but it's time to stop this madness and get the Dubs on their bikes.

I appreciate that both supporters and the team would have no problem playing either Offaly or Longford, down in Tullamore/Longford, in Mullingar/Portlaoise or the dark side of the feckin moon so why do the council sheepishly keep the Dubs in Croke Park? The hurlers could easily go to Portlaoise as a nice midway point (afaik Galway cannot play any Leinster matches in Galway).

I am getting my local club delegate at the next Longford CB meeting to find out what way Longford voted and on what grounds if it decided to cede any chance of home advantage

BTW - Croí - what language are you speaking. I would have though the criteria would be Senior National Titles ...so perhaps the answer is Wicklow or.......Carlow or.........etc

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 07, 2014, 10:04:44 AM
BTW - Croí - what language are you speaking. I would have though the criteria would be Senior National Titles ...so perhaps the answer is Wicklow or.......Carlow or.........etc

1 county voted to get the Dubs out of Croke Park. I'm presuming it's either Longford or Offaly who wanted to play them at home. So the other voted to take the money and gets the honour. Should be booted out.

Shamrock Shore

Ah I see Croí. Sorry for missing the point.

Yes - I agree with you that Offaly and Longford should have voted to have match in, at least, a 'neutral' * venue. I know Pearse Park is looking at major money to fix the shoddy work undertaken the last time that the Dubs went on their bike in 2006 but this work needs doing anyway and ffs could have been done by late May 2015.

That's why I am getting the question asked of the Longford County Board. Did they vote to 155% guarantee to lose the match (if we get there) as opposed to 99.9% chance if it was in Longford.

* Dubs will argue that CP is a neutral venue but they can go long tbf on this one.