Referees getting more protection

Started by pauly2, November 04, 2014, 11:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Milltown, those of us with a different opinion are not attacking refs, we are trying to help them.  Way too much effort, travel and sacrifice is being put in by players to have their season ruined by a bad or missed call.  If we can improve the way games are reffed by trying 2 refs for a trial period, then we should.
The game is great but it could be better and we need to try things to see if they improve the game and reduce the controversy.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Milltown Row2

So do you really think 2 referees will make it better? Name me two intercounty referees that haven't made a balls up? I cant think of any. Having two on the pitch will confuse it further. That referee allows this to happen on this side of pitch and he doesn't. He thinks its ok for that type of tackle and he to whistle happy......... If you want it right then take the contact out of the game, at that point ill not bother watchin playing or officiate in.

Enjoy it for what the game gives you. Take the rough with the smooth and move on. The amount of times I've to tell a player to shut the feck up and man up is unreal. Bunch of women
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

I am a referee, mainly underage games and the level of training (CPD) provided is pathetic to give referees the necessary skills to officiate a game, confident in the knowledge that they know and apply the rules in a consistent manner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 05, 2014, 11:36:29 PM
I am a referee, mainly underage games and the level of training (CPD) provided is pathetic to give referees the necessary skills to officiate a game, confident in the knowledge that they know and apply the rules in a consistent manner.

I don't know what county you are from but each year I've been to 3 refereeing training days consisting of fitness tests (beep test that you must get over level to get championship games) and tests for understanding of rules. Minimum of 80% required before getting championship games. Been to Croke
Park for conference's. At intercounty level the beep test its set around 17. I'd be pretty fit and would find it tough enough to pass. The rules test is in the 90's to pass so hard enough.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2014, 11:55:29 PM

I don't know what county you are from but each year I've been to 3 refereeing training days consisting of fitness tests (beep test that you must get over level to get championship games) and tests for understanding of rules. Minimum of 80% required before getting championship games. Been to Croke
Park for conference's. At intercounty level the beep test its set around 17. I'd be pretty fit and would find it tough enough to pass. The rules test is in the 90's to pass so hard enough.
I've been arguing for the last 5 years that referees in the county here need a formal fitness test, but that has not been introduced. Same for the rules and an on field practical session.
It means there are referees who get away with refereeing from between the two 45s.

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2014, 11:55:29 PM

Red card offence and back to League games only for 6 months.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2014, 11:55:29 PMThe rules test is in the 90's to pass

So it's official. You don't have to know all the rules to be a referee.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hardy on November 06, 2014, 11:24:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2014, 11:55:29 PMThe rules test is in the 90's to pass

So it's official. You don't have to know all the rules to be a referee.
It's official you don't have to get 100% to be a doctor

Hardy

Yes, but being a doctor isn't a matter of life and death.

(C) Mr. Shankly

sligoman2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2014, 11:36:04 PM
So do you really think 2 referees will make it better?

That would be a big yes - have you read my posts???

Why should we take it for what it is?, why not make it better.  He who fails to innovate gets left behind
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

twohands!!!

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 06, 2014, 01:12:47 PM

Why should we take it for what it is?, why not make it better.  He who fails to innovate gets left behind

My big problem with 2 refs is what happens when they disagree over something - who gets final say then?

Do you end up with 2 refs battering each over "it was a penalty; it wasn't a penalty"

I'd like to see umpires and linesmen being given more responsibility and more blame when mistakes are made. Compared to referees they seem to get off scott free pretty much all the time especially at intercounty level.

StephenC

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 06, 2014, 01:38:35 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on November 06, 2014, 01:12:47 PM

My big problem with 2 refs is what happens when they disagree over something - who gets final say then?

Do you end up with 2 refs battering each over "it was a penalty; it wasn't a penalty"

I'd like to see umpires and linesmen being given more responsibility and more blame when mistakes are made. Compared to referees they seem to get off scott free pretty much all the time especially at intercounty level.

They discuss it together and if they can't reach a consensus, the senior ref (defined before the game) makes the call. Easy.

I agree on the linesmen bit. I'd have one or both of them on the pitch with full refereeing authority and the fact that a few mistakes would be made with sideline balls would be a small price to pay.

Milltown Row2

Pie in the sky. And according to most daft supporters it is life and death on whether a referee makes The wrong call. Jesus wept ffs

Silver hill

Absolutely no need for 4 umpires at a game. One at either end is plenty. For the bigger inter county games, the two redundant umpires from above could morph into additional linesmen, ie, two on each line, patrolling one half each. Would result in more eyes further out the pitch. Ref in the middle would still have the last call, would cut out a lot of the off the ball nonsense.

From the Bunker

In fairness Referees are really up against it with modern footballers. They are faster, stronger and getting more tuition in being cuter in the dark arts with and without the ball. Kerry taught Cormac Reilly a lesson or two (although he probably did not notice) in cute hoorism this year. Must be fairly embarrassing for Referees who have a stinker and realise it after. Wonder will Cormac don the Black suit in Championship again? Then again he is probably is oblivious to it!