Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea The Stars

Zulu - The GPA is the voice of the inter county player. There is nothing stopping them going out tomorrow morning and making an issue of fixture scheduling for example. It would not cost the GPA a cent to say we are not happy, we demand change, etc. Basically all back to Colm O'Rourke's article, are they radical or redundant, are they happy to cosy up to the GAA and say quiet on the major issues?

Saying it is up to the county boards and the GAA to sort out the fixtures controversy is ignoring the last 10 years. They are not sorting it out and that's the problem, somebody needs to hold them to task over it, i.e. the GPA. Again back to Colm O'Rourke's article, what is the point of the GPA? By the way I'm fully aware of the all the good stuff they do - but if they're going to hide away voicing their thoughts on the major issues, are they really a Gaelic player's association, or is there a need for another body who won't stay so quiet.

blewuporstuffed

A decent article by Brolly in this weeks Gaelic life on the subject.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Up The Middle

Anybody got a link for Brollys article??
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

longballin

The GPA so badly need to sort out their PR. Haven't a clue.

rrhf

So this group believe that club players are a different cause to their own. Is This policy dictated by a group of irrelevant washed up has beens getting paid by the gaa who are owned by all our members.  Come accross as Chancers and spoofers riding on the back of a century and a quarter old organisation who if it was run right wouldn't tolerate the seepage of 100s of thousands into parasitic pockets. 

Eamonnca1

Recognizing the GPA was a case of keeping your friends close but your enemies closer. A lot of the damage they could have done has effectively been neutralized and the old megaphone diplomacy and angry press releases has gone. But occasionally the mask slips and they reveal themselves as the shower of self-serving chancers they are. You only have to scratch the surface to see their agenda.

From the Bunker

I know a player who is in is mid to 50's.  In his time he was a regular county player, top club player, won an all star, played in an AI final, Captained his county. He has been unemployed for a couple of years now! Virtually not a hope of employment. This was pre-GPA. I suppose being a footballer from the 80's he has missed out all the perks the GPA offer intercounty footballers now?

orangeman

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 02, 2014, 10:47:07 AM
I know a player who is in is mid to 50's.  In his time he was a regular county player, top club player, won an all star, played in an AI final, Captained his county. He has been unemployed for a couple of years now! Virtually not a hope of employment. This was pre-GPA. I suppose being a footballer from the 80's he has missed out all the perks the GPA offer intercounty footballers now?

Is there not some sort of scheme set up for those situations as well ?. Bernard Flynn and Kevin Mc Cabe ( I think ) were involved in this group.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 02, 2014, 10:47:07 AM
He def should be helped.
If other ex intercounty players have been assisted then others -who by the sounds of it are in greater need of help - should also be granted educational or similar aid

Though I still think that this was a dangerous precedent to set as IMO current intercounty players in need should be looked after first.
GAA def need a programme or fund to assist ex players in need

Eamonnca1

screenexile

Wonder what kind of backlash he'll get from the GPA lackies??!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: screenexile on November 02, 2014, 08:31:27 PM
Wonder what kind of backlash he'll get from the GPA lackies??!!

Fair play to Joe, a good article and it's nearly like he's daring the GPA into a backlash against him. Interesting times.
That was never a square ball!!

Eamonnca1

They've f**ed up here and they're showing their lack of maturity. If they'd kept their mouths shut the whole thing would have been forgotten about by now, but now it's blowing up into a s**storm. It's the Streisand Effect in action.