New book on Padraig Nally case

Started by seafoid, October 26, 2014, 12:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/10-years-on-nally-still-prays-for-raider-he-killed-30693251.html

The book, Unless by Invitation, by West of Ireland journalist Crona Esler, examines in depth the case of farmer Padraig Nally who was jailed for shooting dead John 'Frog' Ward after Ward had tried to raid Nally's isolated homestead in Cross, Co Mayo, 10 years ago this month.

In a forensic examination of the legislation, the Defence and Dwelling Act, eventually passed into law by Alan Shatter in 2012, Ms Esler, Deputy Editor of the Western People, states that what is deemed "reasonable" force under the Act is "subjective and depends on the individual circumstances".

"A person who uses force against an intruder which results in the death of this person, still risks criminal prosecution if the force used is not deemed reasonable by the court or jury," Ms Esler writes.

Esler found that Nally has begun to come to terms with his experience. He felt sorry for John Ward's family and says prayers for the repose of his soul. He received 3,000 letters during his trial and when he returned home he often sat up at night and found he "was crying reading them, there was so much compassion among the people".

haveaharp

If someone breaks into your house you should not be prosecuted for executing them on the spot by whatever means at your disposal.

BennyCake

Quote from: haveaharp on October 26, 2014, 01:29:39 PM
If someone breaks into your house you should not be prosecuted for executing them on the spot by whatever means at your disposal.

Totally agree. Especially when the intruder is a gypo.

Silver hill

Quote from: BennyCake on October 26, 2014, 02:36:32 PM

Bigotry and racism alive and well. God help us all

Agent Orange

Only in Ireland could you shoot someone in the back, reload shoot him again and literally get away with murder.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Agent Orange on October 26, 2014, 08:01:03 PM
Only in Ireland could you shoot someone in the back, reload shoot him again and literally get away with murder.
or South Africa.... or California....Didn't recall anyone sayin that OJ was defending his property- yet he got away.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

5 Sams

If anyone came into my house to rob me and put my family in danger...gyppo or not he would get both barrels if I had a gun. So what else would youse do gooders do? Shoo them out. Cop on.
The Aristocrat Years

Agent Orange

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 26, 2014, 08:40:55 PM
If anyone came into my house to rob me and put my family in danger...gyppo or not he would get both barrels if I had a gun. So what else would youse do gooders do? Shoo them out. Cop on.

There is a big difference between self defence and murder, when Nally reloaded and shot Ward again he committed murder.

BennyCake

Quote from: Silver hill on October 26, 2014, 03:21:23 PM

You obviously haven't encountered many gypos in your time.

BennyCake

Quote from: Agent Orange on October 26, 2014, 08:54:20 PM

There is a big difference between self defence and murder, when Nally reloaded and shot Ward again he committed murder.

The man was tortured by them fcukers by all accounts. An elderly bachelor living in fear. It's understandable to react in the way he did.

5 Sams

Quote from: BennyCake on October 26, 2014, 08:56:50 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on October 26, 2014, 03:21:23 PM

You obviously haven't encountered many gypos in your time.
+1
The Aristocrat Years

macdanger2

True but there's also a big difference between a one-off intruder and someone serially terrorising an old man. Hard and all as it may have been for the Wards, I have little sympathy with the man who died

Agent Orange

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 26, 2014, 09:36:45 PM

True but there's also a big difference between a one-off intruder and someone serially terrorising an old man. Hard and all as it may have been for the Wards, I have little sympathy with the man who died

I have no sympathy for the deceased, but Nally committed murder and was allowed to walk free because of public opinion.

mouview

Quote from: Agent Orange on October 26, 2014, 09:57:51 PM

I have no sympathy for the deceased, but Nally committed murder and was allowed to walk free because of public opinion.

Where do you stand on the death of the innocent woman in last week's crash on the motorway slipway?

Traveller crime is the hidden war in Ireland today. Every daily paper, every weekly regional paper carries incidents or court case details involving 'extended family members'. Appeasement / kid handling is not the answer. Zero tolerance is called for.

macdanger2

Quote from: Agent Orange on October 26, 2014, 09:57:51 PM

Murder perhaps but extremely aggravated circumstances and he was found not guilty by a jury of his peers rather than public opinion