Ireland’s debt is forecast to reach a little above €203 billion or 111 per cent

Started by barryqwalsh, October 16, 2014, 10:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barryqwalsh

Ireland's debt in 2006 stood at €43.7 billion and, at 25.1 per cent of gross domestic product or economic output, was then the second-lowest in the euro zone. By the end of this year, the debt is forecast to reach a little above €203 billion or 111 per cent of GDP. Large as that sum is, it is down from a level of €215.6 billion or 123.3 per cent of GDP at the end of 2013.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/national-debt-and-its-servicing-still-weigh-heavily-on-state-1.1965128

barryqwalsh

In 2013, the Government spent €637 million on Ireland's aid programme.

https://www.irishaid.ie/what-we-do/how-our-aid-works/where-the-money-goes/

Maybe it is time the Irish Government got it's own house in order before it tries to save the world.

foxcommander

I don't know why we spend that much on foreign aid- should just fly them all over put them all up in mosney?
That way the cost can be buried under the department of health. I thought that was the current plan.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

barryqwalsh

The cost of servicing Ireland's national debt this year is estimated at €8.25 billion, although lower borrowing costs on international markets and a deal to repay the IMF early are reducing such costs. Such a figure, however, would be enough to meet the estimated €8.22 billion day-to-day cost of running the State's education system next year.

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Esmarelda

Quote from: barryqwalsh on October 16, 2014, 10:25:57 PM

Maybe it is time the Irish Government got it's own house in order before it tries to save the world.
Hi Barry,

Do you have an amount in mind as to how much, if any, Ireland should give towards foreign aid?

Our foreign aid contribution has dropped by 36% between 2008 and 2012.

There was a worldwide recession in the latter part of the last decade. The poorest people in the world are likely to have been affected most, just like the poorest people in Ireland are. If every country took the view that you seem to be suggesting then the poor, already suffering due to the recession, would be hit even harder.

I believe we should be increasing our aid.

Do you rank certain people, or groups of people, lower than the Irish because they live in an area that, for reasons not their own, isn't as affluent as ours?

muppet

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 17, 2014, 09:58:43 AM

Hi Barry,

Do you have an amount in mind as to how much, if any, Ireland should give towards foreign aid?

There was a worldwide recession in the latter part of the last decade. The poorest people in the world are likely to have been affected most, just like the poorest people in Ireland are. If every country took the view that you seem to be suggesting then the poor, already suffering due to the recession, would be hit even harder.

Do you rank certain people, or groups of people, lower than the Irish because they live in an area that, for reasons not their own, isn't as affluent as ours?

We had 'full employment' * in 2007. We had 15% unemployment in 2012.

Speaking of ranking people, should aid workers travel first class?

* As defined by various departments of spin.
MWWSI 2017

barryqwalsh

J70

Right, the 0.003% of the total debt figure that is spent on foreign aid is the big problem!  :o

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 17, 2014, 09:58:43 AM

Hi Barry,

Hi again Esmarelda.

I always find these kinds of statements interesting...

Quote"Do you rank certain people, or groups of people, lower than the Irish because they live in an area that, for reasons not their own"

could you enlighten us on that a bit more. How responsible are Irish people for the poor governance of other countries ?

I think since you are the one making the demands the onus is on you to be more specific about statements like this before you try and guilt trip everybody. After all, as you said yourself, it is more important to "enlighten" than merely be "right".

Esmarelda

Wow Mike, this is happening so fast.

Seriously though, let me deal with your post.

I didn't say Irish people are responsible for anything. I said (or at least I tried to say) that people in other countries, third world countries, are in positions of poverty not of their own making.

I also didn't make any demands. I asked a number of questions of Barry. He gave a very general answer which I decided to leave. I also gave my opinion on the topic.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

Oh, and I wasn't trying to make anyone fell guilty. Barry is entitle to his opinion and like I said, when he gave it, I left it at that.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 17, 2014, 01:01:10 PM
Wow Mike, this is happening so fast.

Seriously though, let me deal with your post.

I didn't say Irish people are responsible for anything. I said (or at least I tried to say) that people in other countries, third world countries, are in positions of poverty not of their own making.

I also didn't make any demands. I asked a number of questions of Barry. He gave a very general answer which I decided to leave. I also gave my opinion on the topic.

I hope that clarifies what I meant.

Oh, and I wasn't trying to make anyone fell guilty. Barry is entitle to his opinion and like I said, when he gave it, I left it at that.

ok, fair enough. sorry.

But don't you think its important that people get back to basics and debate what our true moral and practical obligations and try and put some numbers on it ...these debates always go the same way whether it is fiscal policy or world politics. Somebody says this "should be done" and offers no real justification/cost analysis and then its up to the other side to "defend" themselves.

Esmarelda

No problem.

I agree,  and perhaps I should stay away from topics where I don't have a more precise input to offer.

I guess I was just giving a general reply to a general point.