Budget 2015

Started by gerrykeegan, October 14, 2014, 10:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

What can we expect?
(Muppet and Seafoid, you should avoid this thread, it's going to have happy thoughts in it.)
7 Years of brutal budgets and finally one that shouldn't hurt. 
Cut in Top rate of tax.
Entry level for USC to be raised.
Water tax credits.
Might see reduction in excise on wine?
Will the pension levy be phased out?
Double Irish to be phased out.
Windfall tax to be dropped?
Job creation incentives?
Some Capital investment.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AZOffaly

If they are going to do stuff like that, why not simply reverse the water charges?

gerrykeegan

It was part of the bailout I believe. I don't think it's a bad thing (personally) that our water is metered, the lad in the job with me, his three kids take half and hour each day for their shower, I'm not happy about paying for that. (which I currently am through ordinary taxes)
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

armaghniac

All these"allowances" numbers and the like are bollix with an army of clerks to administrate it all. If there is a concerned about children or  pensioners then add a couple of Euro to the children's allowance or pension.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

Quote from: gerrykeegan on October 14, 2014, 10:35:26 AM
What can we expect?
(Muppet and Seafoid, you should avoid this thread, it's going to have happy thoughts in it.)
7 Years of brutal budgets and finally one that shouldn't hurt. 
Cut in Top rate of tax.
Entry level for USC to be raised.
Water tax credits.
Might see reduction in excise on wine?
Will the pension levy be phased out?
Double Irish to be phased out.
Windfall tax to be dropped?
Job creation incentives?
Some Capital investment.

I think there'll be some enhanced incentive scheme for executives assigned to Ireland to make it more attractive to transfer top people in - the basis for this being a team should be built around them when they get to Ireland.

The "double Irish" getting the chop will help Ireland from a reputational point of view. No longer will US politicians be able to blame Ireland for US MNCs availing of US tax loopholes.

magpie seanie

Quote from: gerrykeegan on October 14, 2014, 11:52:51 AM
It was part of the bailout I believe. I don't think it's a bad thing (personally) that our water is metered, the lad in the job with me, his three kids take half and hour each day for their shower, I'm not happy about paying for that. (which I currently am through ordinary taxes)

But the bailout is over is it not? We're economically independent again or so we're told? No troika looking over Noonan's shoulder any more. They're the baddies. Michael and Inda are the goodies.

Fcukin liars the whole lot of them. Fix the leaks and don't allow a private company to screw us for a basic human right - that would be a start.

Congrats on the U21B hurling award BTW!

seafoid

The budget is like giving the kids an extra tenner.
What will they spend it on ?

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 14, 2014, 01:56:38 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on October 14, 2014, 11:52:51 AM

But the bailout is over is it not?
Not till it's all paid back - around 2042 I understand.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 14, 2014, 11:36:32 AM
If they are going to do stuff like that, why not simply reverse the water charges?

I'd say its the lump of sugar to help the medicine go down initially, but the sugar will be phased out once you're used to the medicine.

Jim Vaughan

Why penalise entrepreneurs for taking on extra employees?

Maguire01

Presumably to broaden the range of income sources. And because there's a logic to water charging, hence the vast majority of developing countries charging for it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 14, 2014, 06:00:09 PM
Presumably to broaden the range of income sources. And because there's a logic to water charging, hence the vast majority of developing countries charging for it.

What is this logic? The tools need it so they'll have to pay for it?

seafoid

Water charges are not going to be reversed. Over the long term there might even be investment in the water supply system because it's really crap.