Donegal v Armagh Championship game

Started by MrC, April 18, 2007, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Paddy McKeever will rise to the challenge lads...don't worry!

Armagh by-pass the half forward line....this is why they don't look outstanding on the day!

I would consider playing Ciaran McKeever in corner back to mark McFadden, whilst moving Duffy back to wing back. McKeever's distribution isn't as good as Duffy's, yetr he seems a better/stronger marker!

ard mhaca abu

but would mckeever be reliable enough marking mcfadden in the full back line...in my opinion he might give away too many free in front of goal..allowing donegal the opportunity to score easy free's...

gander

Lads yis are assumming that McFadden will be playing in the corner forward position.  He played in FF in the league final, and I think he will be staying there with Devenny on the wing.  I'd have Geezer or Toner in full back with enda in the corner.

BroJolly

McKeever marked Stephen O'Neil in 2005 AI Semi and had a great game

My team would be:
Hearty
Mallon, Toner, McNulty
Aaron, Geezer, Duffy / Dyas
McGrane, Lavery
Toner, Marsden, Martin OR
Stevie, Loughran / Keenan Oisin

Tend to agree that the half forward line looks dodgey. Not sure about Vernon. Incredibly strong and fit but no distribution

ard mhaca abu

QuoteI'd have Geezer or Toner in full back with enda in the corner.
think id rather see toner in full back as geezer's distribution but be more felt further up the field..

illdecide

Quote from: ard mhaca abu on May 18, 2007, 12:24:32 PM
think id rather see toner in full back as geezer's distribution but be more felt further up the field..

In all the practise games in La Manga Geezer was not used once in the full back line. So rule that out
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

corn02

Look at Uladh's team from a few pages back, I would imagine this will be a close to the mark as you can get.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: illdecide on May 18, 2007, 01:12:44 PM
Quote from: ard mhaca abu on May 18, 2007, 12:24:32 PM

In all the practise games in La Manga Geezer was not used once in the full back line. So rule that out

....& Stephen was used in centre forward...  :o

ard mhaca abu

Quote....& Stephen was used in centre forward... 

do u think this is a good move?

Jinxy

Quote from: Imposerous on May 18, 2007, 11:05:36 AM
Sorry, Jinky, I replied further yesterday but my message failed to post.  The match was held-up by 15 mins to allow McAnaeaney to get there from the Longford Westmeath game – you'd have thought that a local ref could have handled this.  The game itself was pretty free-flowing and there were some nice passages of play from both teams.  Obviously with your Champo game only a week away the challenges were not as full-blooded as they'll be on Sunday, but it was still  a robust.  Meath's movement and support play was very good indeed (but Armagh were able to intercept several moves) and they were finding it difficult to work to ball into the full forward line.  Meath then took some very nice scores from distance.  Your half back line were competent, but then were faced by Paddy McKeever and S Kernan (Martin O Rourke played in the hole and deeper).  Very tall mid-field.  Your No 8 wouldn't have looked out of place on 5th Avenue, so I was glad to see our two young lads compete aireally here.  Sorry I am unable to name your players as I was slightly late in and then there was a fire and a space ship.... Ah, feck it, I didn't want to pay €3!  The recognisable GG started at full forward but played in the half back line attacking with great purpose.  When was the last time he played in that position?

Much obliged. I can't be sure but I think '95 was the last year GG lined out as a half-back for championship. I actually like to see him hanging around the midfield diamond where he can drift around and pick up ball. Thanks for the report.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Imposerous

Disagree about Vernon and his distribution.  On Sunday (oh yeah, did I mention I was there!) he collected the ball in the half back line spotted S Kernan free (clearly his man decided he wasn't worth marking  ;D) and he delivered a quick long accurate ball into his chest from which he scored.  He also distributed very well in the Harps game against Cross recently.  In fact he was the stand out Harps player on view that day.  As Corn pointed out, the team Uladh mentioned is almost cvertainly the team likely to start. Is Stephen Kernan likely to contribute more over the 70 mins (in any position) than Charlie Vernon.  I have yet to see that evidence, whether he has more ability or not.
Sorry Spirit, kinda forgot about Enda.  Would have A Mallon, Toner and Enda as the 3 full backs with Enda the McFadden brief.  While the full back is a mountainous position to expect a young lad to scale, Toner has shown that he puts everything on the line, and is a very strong tackler without conceding too many unncessary frees.  We haven't won the All ireland for 5 years.  Surely it was evident that the team needed a few positional tweaks.  The personnel are there but will Joe's team show the vision and will he take the brave decisions needed in order to have this team operate at its optimum?

Rma13

Be careful in your praise of Charlie Vernon Imposerous, you could be accused of being either him or his mother!!

Imposerous

I am Charlie Vernon... and so is my wife ;D.

corn02

Should that not be "be careful in your praise of Sigerson winner and U21 star Charlie Vernon"?

full back

Quote from: corn02 on May 18, 2007, 03:51:46 PM
Should that not be "be careful in your praise of Sigerson winner and U21 star Charlie Vernon"?

:D