Women & Weddings - WTF?!

Started by bennydorano, October 02, 2014, 07:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 03, 2014, 01:56:58 PM

I fairness I think the cash presents is largely a modern phenomenon because of the fact that most people getting married already live together and so they are likely to already have the toaster, bed sheets and cutlery sets.

Its always been cash round home

haranguerer

Quote from: ardtole on October 03, 2014, 03:50:14 PM
They are not under pressure from the men but more pressure among themselves trying to outdo each other.

Precisely

WT4E

Quote from: johnneycool on October 03, 2014, 10:53:59 AM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 03, 2014, 10:35:45 AM
This is a thread ive been waiting on to appear for some time now.
F**k away off ta f**k with your weddings for friends, relatives and work colleagues that we have absolutely no interaction with nor have any connection to. Im not going!
Anyone attending more than a couple weddings a year needs their head read unless they are all close family or friends. 7 weddings in a year is ridiculous. Have a few rows and lose a few friends and then ye wont be invited to as many. As BC1 said, you can say NO to the invite. Its allowed ye know!!!

I absolutely abhor weddings unless they are for close friend or family. They are a racket and a nuisance and an orgy of materialistic bullshite. Who can outdo who, who can get spend the most money, throw the most lavish gig, get the most expensive band on the planet (and them shit too), have the most bridesmaids.
Whatever happened to weddings that were simple and stripped back and actually about the 2 people and their nearest and dearest and about the occasion. Nowadays, everyone from the village idiot to the lollipop lady gets an invite...and mother-in-laws!!!!...don't start me on them. They are root of the problem in all this...spawn of the devil when it comes to weddings.

98% of Women are a f**kin terra when it comes to weddings and they need to wind their necks in. Its a rigmarole to get out the door to attend a wedding never mind a clean f**kin fortune. Fake tan, makeup, hair, outfit etc..Christ alive. Why don't they believe ye when you tell them that they don't need the full slap of make up or that they aren't meant to be orange tango-tastic and that it cheapens them. Why cant they listen when ye say that orange knuckles and orange ankles etc really make ye look like a t**ker-queen. I despair.

Brilliant Brick, get it off yer chest, good man.

Another thing thats taken root down our way is the day after party where yet another band will be booked to play in the afternoon of a local hostelry with the ladies requiring yet another outfit.

Feckin photo booths, candy carts and whatever bollox will they come up with next to part a fool from their money.

Agree with the majority of this however I do like the next day - I don't know what it is but when all the garls are dolled up at the wedding its too OTT and it doesn't do much for me but when they are in the next day outfits  :D that's when I like to sit back and take it all in!!!

WeeDonns

A male friend of the OH was heading to a wedding in Ibiza and many of the guests could be described as a bit vain and into their looks.
So your man decides he needs to have a tan before landing in Ibiza to fit in, so off to the sun booth goes...

Apparently you're supposed to build up your use of them over a few weeks. Starting off at 3 minutes, working your way up to 9 minutes, but he decides to just go straight for 9 minutes and tells the girl in the shop he's been before, so she didn't need to show him how to use them.

He goes in and stands there with his arms at his sides and gets burnt red raw for 9minutes. He came out with two bright white lines down his sides where he held his arms - turns out there are two straps on the ceiling to hold on to so that your arms are in the air. The 'tan' was ridiculous and it took months to even out the stripes on his side

ONeill

Brick - you've the makings of a movement here. I'm right behind you.

I'd spoken to the missus about this a while ago (re fake tan) and she says it's simply a case of looking better. Same as make-up, hair done etc - all self improvement for the photos. Women have lived with this pressure for many years.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

clarshack

got married 10 years ago and didn't have to put up with half the carry on that goes on these days. imagine what it will be like in another 10 years  :o

Brick Tamlin

O'Neill my good man im sure you have told her numerous occasions how beautiful she looks without all the add ons.
Why cant they just accept that they look better when their skin isn't orange. How could anyone not see that its not a good look when your knuckles and backs of the hands are orange whilst your palms are pink. When ye see orange wrists, knuckles, ankles, knees and necklines it just looks cheap and nasty, dirty, tinkerish. They need to see this and understand its kat lookin.

Its not simply a case of looking better, that's horsehite with parsley. If they valued our opinions and really cared how we felt then they wouldn't do it to themselves and they would realise that my man loves me just fine and dandy without all this schlopp on.
The truth is, they do it because they are all in competition with one another and whatever all the other girls are doin they have to start into it too. God forbid if ye weren't tangoed out of it goin to a wedding or ye were a shade of oak rather than walnut.
If I ever catch the fukker who invented fake tan.

Sunbeds!! That's another planet altogether. Then again skin cancer is a small price to pay for 'looking good' at the weddin or formal I suppose.
Please!!

bennydorano

Quote from: WT4E on October 03, 2014, 04:05:21 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 03, 2014, 10:53:59 AM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 03, 2014, 10:35:45 AM
This is a thread ive been waiting on to appear for some time now.
F**k away off ta f**k with your weddings for friends, relatives and work colleagues that we have absolutely no interaction with nor have any connection to. Im not going!
Anyone attending more than a couple weddings a year needs their head read unless they are all close family or friends. 7 weddings in a year is ridiculous. Have a few rows and lose a few friends and then ye wont be invited to as many. As BC1 said, you can say NO to the invite. Its allowed ye know!!!

I absolutely abhor weddings unless they are for close friend or family. They are a racket and a nuisance and an orgy of materialistic bullshite. Who can outdo who, who can get spend the most money, throw the most lavish gig, get the most expensive band on the planet (and them shit too), have the most bridesmaids.
Whatever happened to weddings that were simple and stripped back and actually about the 2 people and their nearest and dearest and about the occasion. Nowadays, everyone from the village idiot to the lollipop lady gets an invite...and mother-in-laws!!!!...don't start me on them. They are root of the problem in all this...spawn of the devil when it comes to weddings.

98% of Women are a f**kin terra when it comes to weddings and they need to wind their necks in. Its a rigmarole to get out the door to attend a wedding never mind a clean f**kin fortune. Fake tan, makeup, hair, outfit etc..Christ alive. Why don't they believe ye when you tell them that they don't need the full slap of make up or that they aren't meant to be orange tango-tastic and that it cheapens them. Why cant they listen when ye say that orange knuckles and orange ankles etc really make ye look like a t**ker-queen. I despair.

Brilliant Brick, get it off yer chest, good man.

Another thing thats taken root down our way is the day after party where yet another band will be booked to play in the afternoon of a local hostelry with the ladies requiring yet another outfit.

Feckin photo booths, candy carts and whatever bollox will they come up with next to part a fool from their money.

Agree with the majority of this however I do like the next day - I don't know what it is but when all the garls are dolled up at the wedding its too OTT and it doesn't do much for me but when they are in the next day outfits  :D that's when I like to sit back and take it all in!!!
That's just the Hangover horn ;)

seafoid

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/03/what-really-thinking-wedding-photographer

Sometimes you don't have to wait long for the first family argument. If there's a bad atmosphere, I wonder if it will all kick off at the reception; it usually starts there after too much champagne on an empty stomach.

I'm often surprised at the amount of competitiveness involved, the obsession with class and money. I see snobbery, antisocial behaviour, one-upmanship. Often people overspend and I wonder at some lavish weddings if the marriages are going to last long enough to repay the debts. But there are plenty of happy weddings, too, usually the smaller, more intimate, less pretentious ones. The cheaper bashes don't raise expectations and people are more relaxed. Sometimes I even get to witness pure, unalloyed joy.

muppet

Quote from: clarshack on October 03, 2014, 04:31:51 PM
got married 10 years ago and didn't have to put up with half the carry on that goes on these days. imagine what it will be like in another 10 years  :o

There will be no priests left and Tony Fearon will be giving the sermon.

And you will do as your superiors tell you.
MWWSI 2017

Rois

Recent bride here - we had 50 people in France with us, I had one bridesmaid, didn't insist on wearing £450 Jimmy Choo shoes that will never be seen, didn't have wedding cars, favours, pic n mix, photobooth.  One set of flowers for the altar, no table decorations and the groom and best men didn't even have to wear ties.  Had a lovely long dinner in a top restaurant and then went down into their public cellar bar.  Had a brilliant day.
We had a party then for 200 back in Belfast, just a bbq and a few beers/glasses of wine.  It gave me an insight into the 200-guest typical Irish do.  Didn't get speaking to half the people I had asked.  Definitely not for us!
A girl in work was telling me she wasn't sleeping because she was worrying about her wedding.  WTF.  I really do agree with the sentiment that it should be about you and your nearest and dearest, not about ice sculptures and the like.

But on the thank you card, it's more about wanting to thank people for their gifts and what's the difference whether it's a painted flower on the card or a photo?  I was so overwhelmed by people's generosity.   

I'll say nothing about the sunbeds...I confess to having used them in the run up to the wedding.  But haven't been back since. 

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on October 03, 2014, 11:23:23 AM
Looking at the jersey swapping that goes on after GAA matches it is highly likely that the natural skin colour of Irish women is not orange.

Jaysus seafóid, I never noticed the ladies swapping the jerseys after their matches :o
How did I miss that :'(

Last wedding I was at over a year ago. Work colleague.
The missus didn t want to know ( she wouldn t know anybody really) and went and did an Olympic triathlon instead. We both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
I partied until dawn and if herself was along we would both be fed up and gone home before the band started.

pullhard

Best thread and best posts brick in ages. A late entry for post of the year

maggie

So its not just my da that hates weddings then.

I wouldn't be a fan of the girls who get their fellas to match the colour of their ties with their dresses at a wedding. Other than that i do enjoy the excuse to get glammed up for a wedding,.

Sidney

David McWilliams came up with a great word (whether he actually came up with it himself or merely plagiarised it is moot, but anyway) to describe this shite in his book "The Pope's Children".

Bridezilla.

In fairness at least the bride is actually getting married. Men who go under sunbeds for weddings they're only a guest at need a fooking serious look at themselves. Actually, that's a poorly chosen phrase - if there's one thing they need to do it's to stop looking at themselves, the pathetic, vain fools.