Is it possible to be posh and Irish?

Started by barryqwalsh, September 24, 2014, 05:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Class is a feature of every society and it's very strong in Ireland. It's not the same as the system in England and not really based on land ownership as it is over the water. I think status in Irish society is maybe more fluid than in England so if you come from certain counties with a strong education focus and you study hard you can make it to the top of say Anglo Irish bank and be "posh" for a while.

One of the things is that certain groups are heavily disadvantaged but that it doesn't pan out as you might expect since education tends to have  such an influence and the groups who get into education in a big way are not necessarily the wealthiest..

FG politicians at national and local level  are a very interesting anthropological group for the study of Irish class. In rural areas they often own village shops and petrol pumps. Rural golf clubs another very interesting subject area.   

And the clothes as well, of course . Like why is a suit required on TSG ?

Denn Forever

QuoteAnd the clothes as well, of course . Like why is a suit required on TSG ?
Report t

They are probably coming straight from Mass.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

I lived in south Dublin long enough to know that the answer is a resounding yes!

mikehunt

I'm making my own definition of poshness here but it would be whereby you look down at most people but none look down at you. Some people would call it having "old money".

A so called posh Irish person will always be regarded as a Paddy by a posh English person. They may appear posh in Ireland but in reality they're scrubbers just like you and me when compared against their equivalent in England. They are in all intents and purposes, wanabees, west brits etc. Same applies to yanks, aussies etc. Because their nations are relatively new then they don't have old money and therefore can't be posh. They can have (fake) accents, lots of money and be of powerful status but they still aint posh imo. Ziggyego being an exception to the rule.

Maguire01

Quote from: seafoid on September 24, 2014, 12:41:53 PM
Class is a feature of every society and it's very strong in Ireland. It's not the same as the system in England and not really based on land ownership as it is over the water. I think status in Irish society is maybe more fluid than in England so if you come from certain counties with a strong education focus and you study hard you can make it to the top of say Anglo Irish bank and be "posh" for a while.

One of the things is that certain groups are heavily disadvantaged but that it doesn't pan out as you might expect since education tends to have  such an influence and the groups who get into education in a big way are not necessarily the wealthiest..

FG politicians at national and local level  are a very interesting anthropological group for the study of Irish class. In rural areas they often own village shops and petrol pumps. Rural golf clubs another very interesting subject area.   

What has the county got to do with it? What counties have a glass ceiling?

J OGorman

Quote from: WT4E on September 24, 2014, 12:28:11 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 24, 2014, 12:22:08 PM
Quote from: WT4E on September 24, 2014, 09:58:39 AM
Brian O'Driscoll

of all the people you could choose, you pick out one of the toughest, hardest, bravest hooers in the land?

have to agree with you on those three characteristics - are you of the opinion that posh people can't have these qualities?

they could surely, but he puts his head where we wouldnt put our feet for the cause. Be he whatever he wants. (Dont think he's posh though, just from decent stock)

barelegs

Quote from: J70 on September 24, 2014, 01:53:37 PM
I lived in south Dublin long enough to know that the answer is a resounding yes!

Too true. There's a certain concentration of people in some of the fee paying schools in south county Dublin that could be classed as nothing other than posh.

If anyone is in any doubt they should spend an afternoon in Dalkey or Foxrock!

mikehunt

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 24, 2014, 02:23:25 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 24, 2014, 12:41:53 PM

What has the county got to do with it? What counties have a glass ceiling?

Have u ever heard a posh Cavan accent?

seafoid

I used to love that South Dublin accent trying the Gaeilge in the Gaeltacht.
"Chuaigh sé ar an mbóthar" was always hilarious in the Rewdwotch accent .

Denn Forever

What defines Poshness?  Accent? Affluence?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

weareros

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 24, 2014, 03:06:26 PM

In Ireland it's the ability to squeeze your vowels.

seafoid

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 24, 2014, 03:06:26 PM
Your assets are bought by NAMA . Influence. Financial ineptitude. Inflated sense of self.

Hardy

Posh and Irish? I don't really think so, but I asked the butler there and he reckons definitely yes.

Farrandeelin

Maybe it is possible, but there's always someone waiting for you to be taken down a peg or two.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.