Is it possible to be posh and Irish?

Started by barryqwalsh, September 24, 2014, 05:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barryqwalsh

"Absolutely you can. Class exists in Ireland as it exists elsewhere. We just deny it. It can be different because we don't have the aristocratic families here. In the 19th century being Anglo-Irish was posh. There's fewer of those sort of people now.

"Being posh now is very much down to what school you went to, what your accent's like; who you are connected to. So we do have posh in Ireland. Posh people have social, cultural, educational and, obviously, financial capital. Although money is not always the defining feature; sometimes poor can be posh."

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/is-it-possible-to-be-posh-and-irish-anthea-mcteirnan-finds-out-1.1938909

T Fearon

Of course.David Norris,Lord Mountcharles,and Dublin 4

WT4E

haveaharp

I was talking to the wife about this very subject last night over a glass of chablis. I think no you can't be posh and Irish. The class thing just isn't in us.

Walter Cronc

WT4E

Just going on accent and general smugness look

Walter Cronc

Quote from: WT4E on September 24, 2014, 10:27:18 AM

And smugness doesn't exist among sportsmen in Tyrone??

As for accent haha don't get me started!

johnneycool

CJ Haughey tried his damnest to be Posh and Irish but failed miserably as for all the fancy Italian shirts and big boats, he was still a sliveen underneath it all.

Feckitt

Quote from: johnneycool on September 24, 2014, 10:36:28 AM
CJ Haughey tried his damnest to be Posh and Irish but failed miserably as for all the fancy Italian shirts and big boats, he was still a sliveen underneath it all.

He was born in a ditch on the side of the road in County Derry.  His parents were effectively living rough while his father was on the run.  It's hard to imagine more humble beginnings.

Canalman

Remember reading somewhere that the old Anglo Irish ascendancy used to get slagged off in their English boarding schools as being "Paddies".

Have to laugh when the Irish have a go at each other over accents when by and large we all sound the same to the average American, Australian or Englishman.

Shamrock Shore

Quotefancy Italian shirts

I think you will find French shirts were his thang.

J OGorman

Quote from: WT4E on September 24, 2014, 09:58:39 AM
Brian O'Driscoll

of all the people you could choose, you pick out one of the toughest, hardest, bravest hooers in the land?

WT4E

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 24, 2014, 10:33:32 AM
Quote from: WT4E on September 24, 2014, 10:27:18 AM

And smugness doesn't exist among sportsmen in Tyrone??

As for accent haha don't get me started!

It certainly does - see Sean Cavanagh for example - Makes my toes curl when he starts talking about 'the guys'

I like BOD by the way - I just think he's posh!

WT4E

Quote from: J OGorman on September 24, 2014, 12:22:08 PM
Quote from: WT4E on September 24, 2014, 09:58:39 AM
Brian O'Driscoll

of all the people you could choose, you pick out one of the toughest, hardest, bravest hooers in the land?

have to agree with you on those three characteristics - are you of the opinion that posh people can't have these qualities?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility