Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

T Fearon

Weak effort merely dismissing my valid points without denying the veracity of them.

1.Hearing allegations is not being aware of a crime.

2.Parents also aware of allegations but didn't contact the Police either.

3.Referring to popes blandly by their nationality is evidence of contempt for Catholicism,the prime motivation of most on this thread.

imtommygunn

Quote from: T Fearon on October 14, 2014, 06:25:55 AM
Weak effort merely dismissing my valid points without denying the veracity of them.

1.Hearing allegations is not being aware of a crime.

2.Parents also aware of allegations but didn't contact the Police either.

3.Referring to popes blandly by their nationality is evidence of contempt for Catholicism,the prime motivation of most on this thread.

You are completely incapable of any form of reasonable debate.

Franko

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 13, 2014, 06:45:57 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 13, 2014, 04:36:44 PM
I don't understand how this thread has got this far.  Tony's not gonna change his views no matter how many reasoned arguments are put forward.  I think it's time to accept this and leave it at that!

Some of the stuff posted here by fearon is genuinely very offensive and is clearly getting people's back up. If victims or families of victims read this it would be very upsetting for them to be honest :(

Would you not be better leaving it at that instead of drawing more and more offensive remarks out of him??

imtommygunn

Quote from: Franko on October 14, 2014, 08:56:43 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 13, 2014, 06:45:57 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 13, 2014, 04:36:44 PM
I don't understand how this thread has got this far.  Tony's not gonna change his views no matter how many reasoned arguments are put forward.  I think it's time to accept this and leave it at that!

Some of the stuff posted here by fearon is genuinely very offensive and is clearly getting people's back up. If victims or families of victims read this it would be very upsetting for them to be honest :(

Would you not be better leaving it at that instead of drawing more and more offensive remarks out of him??

Probably...

T Fearon

Watch Spotlight tonight for real evidence of child abuse cover up.I look forward to threads condemning the offenders in this case.

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on October 14, 2014, 10:18:57 AM
Watch Spotlight tonight for real evidence of child abuse cover up.I look forward to threads condemning the offenders in this case.

Was that the Kincora one which was on last week as well?

Sickening to say the least, and the same modus operandi as Smyth a co, pick on the weak in society and involve yourself in some sort of establishment to protect yourself.

It wasn't touched on too much in the program but there were a lot of allegations that senior judiciary, cops and army, civil servants used the place as a vice ring with McGrath and his two accomplices pimping the youngsters out.

Sickening, but very much akin to the boys care home near Westminster as well.

bannside

The more you hear about what happened in society in previous generations, and the inexplicable manner in which there seems to have been a universal tolerance level just beggars belief. Not one institutions, but hundreds, across continents - across all spectrum of class, position, religious and authority. By recognising this fact, Tonys use of the word "carte blanch" does have some relevance.

Sean Brady was the head of one of these institutions, and everyone here, including Tony, acknowledges that his handling of the situation/response was nowhere near adequate or acceptable. We know that, Tony knows that - and Fr Sean Brady knows that better than anyone.

If the truth was told there are many worse examples that can be found in the Roman Curia, who dictate a policy by which all Cardinals and bishops worldwide must adhere to with regard to how they address these situations. It is all about drip feeding the minimum response, right up as far as outright lies. Its a sickening policy designed to ensure that the RC church somehow manages to maintain its power, wealth and reputation. Enda Kenny to his credit chased the Papal See out of Ireland, basically telling them to butt out whilst the country attempts to put correct checks and balances in place to make sure the clergy never again attempt to assert its influence on secular matters.

Thats why Pope Benedict (the German) resigned - the place was rotten, and the influence of the Curia was just too much. Thankfully Pope Francis really does seem to be taking the fight right back to them.

Sean Brady is guilty by association, by being appointed to a position that was ultimately the poisoned chalice of them all - the head of the leading Irish religious institution that was allowed to become a law onto itself for many years. Thats the Ireland we all grew up in. Sean Brady was the last remnant of that despicable era, but we need to remember that he is also a product of this environment - he didnt create it. The chances are high we would be saying the exact same things about whatever Cardinal was appointed!

Sean Bradys hands were tied in many respects by Roman dictat. Sure he could have gone solo on it and posted a response that was appropriate to the circumstances. But that would have left him in an untenable position within the church, shunned by many of his peers, and ostracised by many. That he hadn't the moral strength to do this will be a regret to him now. Placed in that position how many of us would have had the strength to shun all vestige of officialdom and be the total paragon of virtue. Having said that the rock may be better than the hard place he now finds himself in.

But personally I see SB too as a victim in all this. He is certainly not the monster many on here are doing their best to portray. Outside of this one defining aspect of his career, Sean Brady was  highly popular, articulate and well respected both inside and outside the church. He is not Brendan Smyth. I have mixed feelings on this, a mixture of much scorn, but some pity too.

AhNowRef

Quote from: T Fearon on October 14, 2014, 10:18:57 AM

Are you implying that the Brady issues aren't real ? ... They are all disgusting and I imagine everyone on here will condemn them .. The only interesting thing is whether you take your same stance on these crimes as you have with the crimes within the church .. You're the only one whos views are likely to differ on these two examples Im afraid!

Quote from: T Fearon on October 13, 2014, 07:48:16 PM
It would be genuinely offensive to the family of Sean Brady a 75 year old who never abused anyone,but was but a small cog in an archaic system nearly 40 years ago and I now facing a vendetta from people with nothing but hatred for all things Catholic >:(

More idiotic statements from you I see ... I for one am very much pro Catholic but Ive said that before and you just choose to ignore it as its fits your pathetic agenda.

And yes you're right, he didnt abuse anyone .. He just turned a blind eye and let others do it ... Good man Sean !!

AhNowRef

Quote from: bannside on October 14, 2014, 12:00:28 PM

Sean Bradys hands were tied in many respects by Roman dictat. Sure he could have gone solo on it and posted a response that was appropriate to the circumstances. But that would have left him in an untenable position within the church, shunned by many of his peers, and ostracised by many. That he hadn't the moral strength to do this will be a regret to him now. Placed in that position how many of us would have had the strength to shun all vestige of officialdom and be the total paragon of virtue. Having said that the rock may be better than the hard place he now finds himself in.

But personally I see SB too as a victim in all this. He is certainly not the monster many on here are doing their best to portray. Outside of this one defining aspect of his career, Sean Brady was  highly popular, articulate and well respected both inside and outside the church. He is not Brendan Smyth. I have mixed feelings on this, a mixture of much scorn, but some pity too.

That basically all boils down to the fact that he chose his career within the church over his "surely" intrinsic moral duty .. which unfortunately for tens of innocent children, he ignored .. He wasn't the only one who let them down but he was a major player who later became the head of the church in Ireland and duly went about pontificating to the masses about how they should behave, knowing deep down inside himself that he had behaved disgracefully himself ... All that and the fact that he fought against disclosure and wouldn't resign is what puts him up for particular disdain !!

By his actions he has also done irreparable damage to the Catholic Church in Ireland ... His case has possibly done more to turn regular mass goers away from Chapel than any instances of the direct perpetrators because he was left in position of Cardinal even after it all came out .. He hadn't the decency to stand down and that was the last straw for many many people Im afraid... Something some sycophantic poster(s) on here dont seem to be able to comprehend!!

I for one am very glad he's gone but its too late for many folk .. they just dont trust the institution now at all !!

theskull1

Sean Brady spent years climbing the ranks knowing what he knew and then withheld proper disclosure of documents for longer again. Only after being finally outed for his involvement did he issue a self serving apology. Self serving apologies count for nothing. He was sorry that he got exposed for the morally corrupt individual he is. If the sheep wanted that as their guiding light and figure head then good luck to them. I just think too many didnt have the balls to vote with their feet but many did.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

Brady made mistakes and didn't want attention drawn to these,to prevent further embarrassment for the church more than himself.He was an oustanding Churchman despite of this.

Tonight's Spotlight will test the resolve of those political animals among you and I look forward to the demonisation of another Irish institution.

longballin

Apart from sheltering paedophiles Brady was an outstanding churchman  :-\

Denn Forever

Quote from: seafoid on October 06, 2014, 08:03:17 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/francis-launches-synod-with-warning-to-evil-pastors-1.1952930

In his homily at the opening Mass for the synod in St Peter's Basilica, Francis said that "evil pastors lay intolerable burdens on the shoulders of others, which they themselves do not lift a finger to move".

A new song for choirs to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojnv3fegkfM

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29603496

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AhNowRef

Quote from: T Fearon on October 14, 2014, 03:41:52 PM
Brady made mistakes and didn't want attention drawn to these,to prevent further embarrassment for the church more than himself.He was an oustanding Churchman despite of this.

Tonight's Spotlight will test the resolve of those political animals among you and I look forward to the demonisation of another Irish institution.

Ha, yes, quite the outstanding Pedophile facilitator he was ... Almost got completely away with it .... You must be proud !!

T Fearon

Change the record,and by the way it's paedophile