Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

ONeill

What about this oul Immaculate Conception stuff? Is that line still on the go or has it gone the way of Limbo?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zip Code

It is ever evolving, purgatory, meat on a Friday, original sin etc - all madey uppy stuff.

LCohen

Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 10:02:07 PM
It is ever evolving, purgatory, meat on a Friday, original sin etc - all madey uppy stuff.

Perhaps one of the faithful can clarify but from what I can gather:

Imaculate Conception - the official line is they are sticking with that. To claim that God sent his only begotten son down to earth means they have to stick to that one. Although there is a fair amount of glossing over this requires of the whole Bethlehem story.
Purgatory - again the official line is sticking with this one. The aul fast tracking indulgences are not available though.
Meat on a Friday - sticking to it but making no attempt to to enforce. You can buy a ham sandwich in the vatican on a Friday (I kid you not) and some South American bishops decreed that anything that lived part of the time in water was in fact fish and could be eaten on a friday. The poor otter was hunted to extinction on this basis.
Original sin - sticking to that one also. In addition to preaching this horrific concept this ties the church to the literal truth of the Book of Genesis.

It horrible and laughable in equal measure

The Iceman

Quote from: LCohen on September 17, 2014, 10:18:23 PM

Imaculate Conception - the official line is they are sticking with that. To claim that God sent his only begotten son down to earth means they have to stick to that one. Although there is a fair amount of glossing over this requires of the whole Bethlehem story.
Purgatory - again the official line is sticking with this one. The aul fast tracking indulgences are not available though.
Meat on a Friday - sticking to it but making no attempt to to enforce. You can buy a ham sandwich in the vatican on a Friday (I kid you not) and some South American bishops decreed that anything that lived part of the time in water was in fact fish and could be eaten on a friday. The poor otter was hunted to extinction on this basis.
Original sin - sticking to that one also. In addition to preaching this horrific concept this ties the church to the literal truth of the Book of Genesis.

I've addressed Limbo before- it was never an official teaching. It was more a supposition that became a popular way of dealing with an uncertain situation - death before infant baptism. The Church has since defined this- not sure what the whole big hulabaloo is about.... but then of course you need something to complain about.

You can't go off and do whatever you like and then rely on the fact that you can then repent. That isn't true repentance if you knowingly and willingly sin and then repent in an effort to receive mercy. You might be that stupid but God isn't....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

T Fearon

The basics remain the same.Agree repentance must be sincere.I suspect those who mock are the one's who are least certain of their atheism.

Be interesting to revive this thread in five years time.I'd expect one or two of the most cynical would have undergone a conversion due to a live changing experience,and vice versa,some now devout May not be as convinced

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on September 17, 2014, 10:37:47 PM
The basics remain the same.Agree repentance must be sincere.I suspect those who mock are the one's who are least certain of their atheism.

Be interesting to revive this thread in five years time.I'd expect one or two of the most cynical would have undergone a conversion due to a live changing experience,and vice versa,some now devout May not be as convinced

You really are a ballbag of a man.

muppet

Is savouring schadenfreude a sin?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Great to see Cardinal Brady speak on the UTV programme on life of Paisley tonight,as well as playing a full role in the new Deacons ceremony last Sunday. Ain't no way he's out on a limb.

ONeill

Quote from: The Iceman on September 17, 2014, 10:26:46 PM

I've addressed Limbo before- it was never an official teaching. It was more a supposition that became a popular way of dealing with an uncertain situation - death before infant baptism. The Church has since defined this- not sure what the whole big hulabaloo is about.... but then of course you need something to complain about.

You can't go off and do whatever you like and then rely on the fact that you can then repent. That isn't true repentance if you knowingly and willingly sin and then repent in an effort to receive mercy. You might be that stupid but God isn't....

Do you believe in the Immaculate Conception?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

5 Sams

Just finished Brendan Boland's book. Staggering stuff.....and to think I used to go to mass and respect people like Smyth.
The Aristocrat Years

Lar Naparka

Geez, you're a gas man Tony. There should be no need to revive this thread in 5 year's time as I figure you'll still be going strong and  others  will still be daft enough to keep on trying to hammer sense into you.
Regarding the Afterlife, I really don't know if it really exists or if it's a case of eternal oblivion for all who exit this life.
I went damn close to finding out for myself a number of years ago when I realised there was a good chance that I was about to find out for myself. This happened 3 times  in a single year and I didn't , and still don't, think I know the answer.
(Series of seismic shocks between the lugs, if you follow me – status epilepticus if you don't.)
I believed that if there really  was a God, he already knew enough about me to draw his own conclusions and if there wasn't, all my supplications and lamentations would be in vain.
Seizures of this sort generally last 5-6 hours and the chances of survival aren't good but I decided I'd take my chances and hope for the best. Anyway, somehow or other, I'm still here.
I don't buy into the Christian concept of God but I think Stephen Hawking and his kind have a long, long way to go before they  find out how the Cosmos began. I don't think they ever will.
The only thing I'm certain is that  I wouldn't want to spend eternity, if it exists,, with the likes of those who shielded paedophiles and  allowed them to act with impunity.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 17, 2014, 11:34:14 PM
Great to see Cardinal Brady speak on the UTV programme on life of Paisley tonight,as well as playing a full role in the new Deacons ceremony last Sunday. Ain't no way he's out on a limb.

With 'friends' like you Brady certainly doesn't need enemies.
MWWSI 2017

Myles Na G.

The Immaculate Conception and the Virgin Birth are two different things, though they're often confused.

easytiger95

[quote Reply #409 on: September 17, 2014, 08:59:54 PM »
Did not Barabas repent at the very last minute,on the cross,and was assured of salvation by the Master himself
][/quote]

eh, no Tony, Barabas did not repent. He was "in fact" released instead of Jesus, when Pontius Pilate gave the crowd the choice. Even an auld theophobe and atheist zealot like me knows that.

And we're supposed to take you seriously?

johnneycool

Quote from: ONeill on September 17, 2014, 11:52:37 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on September 17, 2014, 10:26:46 PM

Do you believe in the Immaculate Conception?

Just as well Mary and Joseph didn't have Jesus back in Catholic Ireland.

Firstly when Mary fell pregnant, Josephs family would have ensured he'd no more contact with the harlot, she'd have been dispatched off to the local Magdelene laundry to give birth to the saviour as it would have looked bad on the family.
Whilst in the laundry Mary would have been treated like a slave, the baby Jesus would have been treated like a sub human being,  lucky to survive the place and possibly despatched off to America or Australia for adoption or some other borstal to be buggered by the holy fathers, eh.