Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on September 17, 2014, 04:07:24 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 17, 2014, 03:55:21 PM

But it's very obvious that an increasing number of people have decided that the teachings of the Church doesn't meet their needs. They can't all be members of "the trendy brigade."

Not everyone can be trendy.

I've lost count of the number of people I've had to listen to bad mouth the church and they never set foot in the doors except for funerals/baptism's and their "big day". They'll lie to the clergy in order to get the venue, even have heard boasting of how they blagged it.
They'll even try get the venue for free. The church certainly will meet their needs for a day.

Hypocrites.

People who are disillusioned with the Church attend funerals wedding etc? You are preaching on behalf of the Church, but what you say is completely contrary to Church teaching. Jesus would welcome back all the prodigal sons with open arms. You, by the sounds of it, definitely wouldn't.

Who is the hypocrite?
MWWSI 2017

Zip Code

Quote from: foxcommander on September 17, 2014, 04:56:07 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 17, 2014, 04:21:57 PM
Wow! Evil b**tards! Vile hypocrites indeed!

I'm glad you agree. We may have some common ground after all.

Good to see the nice Christian values instill in you.

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2014, 05:20:59 PM

People who are disillusioned with the Church attend funerals wedding etc? You are preaching on behalf of the Church, but what you say is completely contrary to Church teaching. Jesus would welcome back all the prodigal sons with open arms. You, by the sounds of it, definitely wouldn't.

Who is the hypocrite?

Where did I say they shouldn't attend weddings/funerals? I just pointed out the hypocrisy that they have no problem attending on occasions when it suits. If they object to the church so much surely they can always just go graveside to pay their respects or head straight to the reception of whatever celebration

FYI - I'm not Jesus.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on September 17, 2014, 06:26:18 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2014, 05:20:59 PM

Who is the hypocrite?

Where did I say they shouldn't attend weddings/funerals? I just pointed out the hypocrisy that they have no problem attending on occasions when it suits. If they object to the church so much surely they can always just go graveside to pay their respects or head straight to the reception of whatever celebration

FYI - I'm not Jesus.

You called them hypocrites. This is hardly approval is it?

QuoteFYI - I'm not Jesus.

I never said you were. But you call some people who ignore some Church teaching hypocrites, while ignoring other teachings your self.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

I think the point to be argued doesn't belong on this thread. This isn't about just another axe to grind - its about the systematic abuse of Children and Sean Brady's involvement in covering it up.

However what I think you might be getting at is there are a lot of contributors on this thread who have lots of axes to grind where the Church is concerned. I agree that the majority of those with axes to grind are the people who rarely go to Mass if at all and prefer to fix the Church via the world problem solving gaaboard :) who rubbish the Church but then go their for weddings, funerals etc... I get what you saying....

But that's for another time and another place.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2014, 06:32:23 PM

Just telling it as it is. That is the correct definition of that word isn't it?
I don't see that pointing out the flaw leads to me ignoring any teachings. I'm not stopping anyone from attending church.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on September 17, 2014, 06:58:42 PM

I don't see that pointing out the flaw leads to me ignoring any teachings. I'm not stopping anyone from attending church.

What flaw?
MWWSI 2017

Zip Code

Quote from: foxcommander on September 17, 2014, 06:58:42 PM

Just saying a lot of people aren't welcome, you and Tone are of the same ilk.

The Iceman

Quote from: Zip Code on September 17, 2014, 07:59:28 PM

who isn't welcome in Church?
The RC Church welcomes everyone. The Church calls us all out of sin into a relationship with Christ. If you don't want to leave behind your sin you can't then say the church isn't making you welcome.... there's no sense in that argument whatsoever....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on September 17, 2014, 08:21:22 PM

The RC Church welcomes everyone. The Church calls us all out of sin into a relationship with Christ. If you don't want to leave behind your sin you can't then say the church isn't making you welcome.... there's no sense in that argument whatsoever....

He is responding to the constant bashing of people who have stopped going to mass, and their subsequent showing up at funerals, having wedding in a Church etc.

I tend to agree with you overall (not wholly gone on the sin bit). The view of Jesus was as per the Prodigal Son parable imho.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

My God is one who wants people to believe in him and the redemptive sacrifice of his Son on the cross,and living a life which gives witness to and reflects such beliefs.I also believe he doesn't expect anyone to be infallible all the time, and genuinely welcomes those who repent and come back into the fold.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 17, 2014, 08:27:11 PM
My God is one who wants people to believe in him and the redemptive sacrifice of his Son on the cross,and living a life which gives witness to and reflects such beliefs.I also believe he doesn't expect anyone to be infallible all the time, and genuinely welcomes those who repent and come back into the fold.

If Brendan Smyth repented, how is he fixed?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

If it's true,genuine and real,he's ok,according to doctrine,according to both Catholic and Protestant beliefs.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 17, 2014, 08:38:44 PM
If it's true,genuine and real,he's ok,according to doctrine,according to both Catholic and Protestant beliefs.

Fair enough. And when is the deadline for his repenting?
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2014, 08:26:36 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on September 17, 2014, 08:21:22 PM

He is responding to the constant bashing of people who have stopped going to mass, and their subsequent showing up at funerals, having wedding in a Church etc.

I tend to agree with you overall (not wholly gone on the sin bit). The view of Jesus was as per the Prodigal Son parable imho.
The prodigal son gave up his old life but. Turned away from it. And because of that choice the Father ran to him. Ran.

I'm not sure where the constant bashing of people who have stopped going to mass happens? On the board?