Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on September 13, 2014, 12:39:13 PM
Yawn

Which for you always stands for, all above is true and even I can't argue against it.

muppet

The only obvious motive here for Tony is that, by blindly defending the Church, he believes he is a superior Catholic to everyone else here and thus he is more likely to get his eternal reward.

However, I have truly never ever heard anyone sick enough to suggest that the victims of clerical child abuse are somehow linked to compensation claims arising out of the abuse. Blaming them and their parents for the abuse was adding insult to injury. But to suggest a motive, by the derogatory mention of compensation, is about as fundamentally pure an evil as I have come across. This line of thinking goes beyond Tony's earlier insinuation that they deserved it, by not stopping it, and hints at it all being due to their own greed. The last remaining vile argument would be to suggest that the victims sought out the abusers, rather than the other way round, and I expect to see Tony put this out shortly.

But as long as Tony keeps blindly defending, he will get his eternal reward.

To those who see no point to furthering this discussion, there is a point. Watching the depths to which Tony is willing to descen,d to try to persuade everyone else to see the victims as the abusers, and the abusers as the victims, is well worth the exercise. It is a real education.

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Yawn, I'm not defending the church from its dreadful mishandling of child abuse decades ago,I'm defending Sean Brady from demonisation.At the end of the day blindly defending any organisation made up of human beings will not cut much ice in the eyes of God.

Zip Code

You seem tired Tone - why don't you f**k off to bed, there's a good boy.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 13, 2014, 06:53:55 PM
Yawn, I'm not defending the church from its dreadful mishandling of child abuse decades ago,I'm defending Sean Brady from demonisation.At the end of the day blindly defending any organisation made up of human beings will not cut much ice in the eyes of God.

Your choice of defence of Sean Brady is to blame the parents and the victims themselves and to absolve Brady - "he was just anotary", "he reported accurately to his superiors" - and to ignore any evidence to the contrary, presented by anyone, including that released by the Church itself. You then suggest compensation as if it is an issue driven by the victims, in the Child abuse scandal. Of course you have form on this, you were the only poster here to complain about the compensation to the Magdalene Laundry survivors. Your argument iirc was 'where will it all end?'.

The reality is this thinking is motivated by a fear that if the Church has to pay it's victims, it will be quickly bankrupt. Of course what is not involved in this thinking is any sense of doing right by any of the injured victims. Which brings us nicely back to Sean Brady's silence all these years. It seems to fit perfectly into the cover up agenda which betrays exactly who is really motivated by money in all of this.

Inevitably it is the opposite side to the one Tony claims it is.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Ah FFS, Tony you've done it again! ;D ;D
You have now given your readers your final say on the subject at least three times in the past fortnight and you're still going strong.
When does "final" become, well, "FINAL!" in your book?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

T Fearon

Muppet I have said repeatedly that this incident was as a result of a catalogue of failures,including those of Sean Brady and the parents.I never exonerated Brady,just vehemently opposed his demonisation as you seem to be opposed to any hint of criticism of the parents.

Zip Code

Answer these three questions.

1: Were the abused kids to blame for being abused?

2: Were the parents of the kids to blame for the abuse of their children by the catholic clergy?

3: Did Brady fail the parents and kids?

easytiger95

The Pearly Gates, a few decades from now. St Peter skulks outside, carrying a clipboard in one hand and smoke in the other. It's been a long day.

Suddenly from the incorporeal ether a figure materialises – a heavyset gentleman, with thick specs, squeezed into an Armagh 2002 jersey with "Geezer" on the back, and a papal flag from the Pope's visit in 79 in his paw. He strides purposefully towards the gate, ignoring Peter who is fumbling the clipboard whilst ditching the fag.

Peter (apologetically): "Hold on there, my son, just need to check the list. Red tape you know?"

TF: "Is it you? Truly the good Lord has blessed a humble minion like myself, that providence should let me gaze upon the foundation, the Rock, nay, the McGeeney of His awesome church – St. Peter himself! Let me prostrate myself before you, let me touch my forelock, let me thump my craw for never did I dare to dream my path on the stony road of life would lead here. Tony Fearon, your Sainted Saintliness!" A greasy hand is extended – Peter shakes it gingerly.

Peter: "You're truly welcome Tony. Fearon, you say? Just need to make sure you're on here, you know what they say, if your name's not down, you're not coming in, wha?"(laughing)

Tony's expression grows stony. "I very much doubt that, your Holiness. For I have led truly the righteous life of the believer. I left no knee ungenuflected, no unbeliever unscorned, no one who needed to be smited unsmoten. I tell you solemnly, I approached my Christian Life as Francie Bellew approached corner forwards – from behind, with great violence."

Peter: "Really my son? Were you a martyr?"

TF: "Only to my acid reflux, your Spiritualizedness. For it was in the Perki Chicken on Dorset Street that I met my fate. Armagh had returned to Croke Park for the first time in thirty years, contesting the All Ireland ladies junior final (they were robbed!) and I had stopped in for a lunch box with two pieces to sooth my bilious humours. Alas, they were doing a special on dinner boxes (only one euro extra for a third piece! Of breast!!) and there the axe fell. As I lay wheezing my last, in a pool of kebab sauce and drool, I gasped for a priest and yet none could be found. Which I though very strange in a country where the vast majority (we're talking 99.9%) share my piety, virtue and charity."

Peter: "Yeeeeaaaahhhh.....well you must be a shoo in so. Let's go down here (licks his finger and runs it down the clipboard) hang on. Hang on. Jaysis! (looks around shamefacedly) Tony, you can't be saying this....did you honestly type this? Good gravy. Listen, Tone, we've had what you might call an image problem over the past few years, and the general feeling here is if you're explaining, you're losing. Let alone attacking people. I mean, put your hands up, yeah? Ask for forgiveness, try to make amends? That's the general idea.

And some of those boys must have been on crack, you know? Vows of silence, moving people about parishes. Crazy stuff.  I dunno about the Big Fella, he tends to keep himself to himself, but Junior? He's not going to be happy about this at all. "

TF (exceedingly stony): "Well, if the Saviour has a problem with my beliefs then he should debate me in an articulate and civilized manner. And no matter what He says, it doesn't change the fact that in 2013 10,000 people at the Armagh County Final cheered Sean Brady to the rafters. And even to look at Sean Brady's sunny countenance is to see the golden glades of Heaven itself, so soft and pious and lovely and cuddly is the man. And here (he whips out a newspaper clipping) Alf McGuffin of the Belfast Bile said that if a saint, a supermodel and a teddy bear could miraculously be contained in one being, then verily it would be Sean Brady. Truly I am vindicated. Maybe your Saviour should reflect on that."

Peter (jaw dropped): "Tony, are you f%$&ing serious?"

TF: "Yawn. When one has won the argument one thinks one has won, one's opponents always resort to profanity and name calling. This is my final word on the matter....And another thing..."

Peter (pacing up and down) "Shut it Tony" (TF continues to drone on, like a fat bluebottle battering a window).

Peter stops. "I've got it. Tony, you are of course right. And it is because of your upright backbone, charitable face and ecclesiastical hair that myself and JC have a very special mission for you. It's time to take it to the man." Beside Peter a shaft has opened through the clouds, with a deep slope and a distinct smell of sulphur. "Beelzebub and his minions have had their way too long. It's time to hit them where they live."

TF (face brightening):"You mean me to battle the theophobes and atheist zealots?"

Peter (grimly): "We mean you to battle Lucifer himself." He gestures towards the shaft. "Onward Christian soldier!"

TF (beaming broadly and walking into the shaft): "Let me at 'em! I wouldn't be surprised if I found Mickey Harte down here, heh, heh, heh." Tony slowly disappears from view and his voice starts to dwindle. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of death, I shall fear no evil.....Oh My God!!........Hello Archbishop, have they sent you as well to be my comrade against wickedness? Come, we shall smite the unbelievers together Sean!!.......Who is that up ahead? Big fella, looks familiar......Dr. Paisley!!! Lord Jes........." The shaft closes with a thump.

Peter lights up another fag.

5 Sams

One for the archives ET. Brilliant stuff. Should be published in a national newspaper! First time I have commented on this thread as people know my thoughts on Fearon and his previous rants. But I have to congratulate you. Superb.
The Aristocrat Years

Zip Code

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 13, 2014, 09:22:40 PM
One for the archives ET. Brilliant stuff. Should be published in a national newspaper! First time I have commented on this thread as people know my thoughts on Fearon and his previous rants. But I have to congratulate you. Superb.

+1  :)

T Fearon

Easy tiger,I almost grinned.nearly ,didn't quite make it though

Hardy

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Zip Code on September 13, 2014, 09:29:58 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 13, 2014, 09:22:40 PM

+1  :)
I'll second that. Brilliant stuff there that gave me a few laugh out loud moments (particularly liked that Francie jibe  ;D)

ONeill

Quote from: muppet on September 13, 2014, 03:34:09 PM

To those who see no point to furthering this discussion, there is a point. Watching the depths to which Tony is willing to descen,d to try to persuade everyone else to see the victims as the abusers, and the abusers as the victims, is well worth the exercise. It is a real education.

Really? A real education to whom?

As a premise - anyone who has been on this board long enough knows I'm the polar opposite to Tony in almost everything - from the field to religion.

However, I find it a bit distasteful the personal attacks.

For me, it's like goading someone with dyslexia or some other learning disability. Challenge his ethos initially, certainly, but leave it at that. The penny should drop. He's not that important and he's not a bad fellow. I don't know how many posters there are on here but he's 1 voice who many on here seem to place massive importance to.

Try to understand the person and their reasons for processing historical events rather than poking fun at. And when you understand it, leave it at that.

Easytiger's bit is brilliant and I know Tony would find it funny too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.