Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

imtommygunn

It's not an if in your eyes that the parents are culpable though is it?

T Fearon

I can only relate to my own experience where two young boys were abused,told their parents,parents told the police , abuser was arrested convicted and imprisoned.I cannot understand why all parents would not have followed this simple course of action.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 09:48:01 PM
The church's moral guide is scripturally based, no other moral guide can apply,otherwise you have simply a moral guide decided by each individual for him or herself based only on his or her preferences.This approach cannot produce a universally accepted moral guide.

And the scriptures are a guide for what? - ritual sacrifice, rape, sexism, racism, sectarianism, child torture, hissy fits and total illogicality? Its all there. If that was your moral guide then you would be one mixed up kid.

As I said the resignation is an irrelvance as no logical person would use a scripture as the basis of their morals. I doubt if very many actually do.

T Fearon

The Ten Commandments provide as good a moral guide as you'll get.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 10:00:38 PM
The Ten Commandments provide as good a moral guide as you'll get.
ah come on there.

Honour no other gods -  anything more than jealousy and has it not resulted in racism, sectarianism with ethnic cleansing in the name of god. Terrible stuff really.
No graven images - so all christian art is all sinful?
Do not take the name of god in vain - what does this mean? Were lethal Croat attacks on Bosnian muslims done in the name of god actually breaking this commandment? For the church stood silently by
keep the holy the sabbath - Important stuff this. Is it Saturday or Sunday? And those stonings to death in the bible and since - is that the moral guide you use?
honour your da and ma - You need a book to tell you this? And did the Jesus fella himself not tell his followers to reject their family? Standard cult stuffreally.
shalt not kill  - were you relying on a book to tell you that? Anyway Moses came straight of the mountain and ordered a slaughter in God's name. Look to Moses other actions and he clearly means do not kill another jew
No adultery - a private matter. Surely not the same as murder and worthy of the stonings you scripture dictates?
No stealing  - you need a book to tell you this?
not false witness against a neighbour - You need a book to tell you this? Note it doesn't command you to do anything positive for your neghbour
None of that coveting - Not only are we into thought crime here but note the equating of the ox, wife and ass of the neighbour. You see the sexism in this?

There is nothing much in the ten commandments and as someone who advocates scripture and therefore must know it you would have known that already

T Fearon

I think you are reading way too much into each and every one of these and making them very complex when they are really quite simple.If we don't have any acceptable universal moral code we simply don't have a moral code,we simply have individuals acting according to their own conscience,where for example one person may deem it right to kill a burglar whereas most people would disagree.

Religion is simple and I think if you concentrate on the Ten Commandments as written and concentrate on the Gospels you will get a simple unambiguous template for living and ultimately salvation.

Itchy

Good work everyone keeping Tony Melon busy in these Sean Brady threads, he is so busy he has only managed to start one other stupid thread in a week. This is a 400% reduction on a normal week.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 10:52:18 PM
I think you are reading way too much into each and every one of these and making them very complex when they are really quite simple.If we don't have any acceptable universal moral code we simply don't have a moral code,we simply have individuals acting according to their own conscience,where for example one person may deem it right to kill a burglar whereas most people would disagree.

Religion is simple and I think if you concentrate on the Ten Commandments as written and concentrate on the Gospels you will get a simple unambiguous template for living and ultimately salvation.

Classic response of the faithful - follow these guidelines but gloss over the fact that they are bollocks.

Do you really want to stand over the unambiguous claim?

T Fearon

What is ambiguous about thou shall not kill,steal,commit adultery? Very straightforward you can't go wrong.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 11:01:02 PM
What is ambiguous about thou shall not kill,steal,commit adultery? Very straightforward you can't go wrong.

Firstly you said the gospels were unambiguous - so my original questions stands.

Secondly you have not only chosen to respond about the 10 commandments only and at that chose to shorten it to 3. Dropping the other 7 then? And on the 3 do you really think that if they were not in the old testament that they wouldn't exist (if we broaden adultery to cheating on the partner you are not married to) in the human physche? Do you really think that those untouched by the old testament don't have similar/identical ethical values to these 3?

Be honest the 10 commandments don't amount to a roasted snowball and have been foundational to a hell of a lot of horrors done by those influenced by them and a lot done in their very name.

Fact remains Brady's resignation is an irrelevance to most. Few if any will notice anything different in their lives tomorrow other than the blokes in the dresses will all move up one in the bed.

T Fearon

They provide a template for salvation and exist in the human psyche because people (even the most committed atheists) can recite them.They form the basis of all civil and criminal laws in secular society.

Of course the resignation of Cardinal Brady will not impact directly on people's lives,people in all walks of life come and go without having a direct influence on a day to day basis on any great number of people.

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 09:00:56 PM
No exoneration for the parents,their failure was catastrophic

And your friends - McQuillan's parents?

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 09:53:26 PM
I can only relate to my own experience where two young boys were abused,told their parents,parents told the police , abuser was arrested convicted and imprisoned.I cannot understand why all parents would not have followed this simple course of action.

Maybe you should made an infomercial for the RSPCC, all these years and the only thing kids have to do to stop abuse is tell their parents!

T Fearon

Well it is a guaranteed way of producing results, and other methods,as evidenced on these threads,didn't work.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 09, 2014, 09:07:21 AM
Well it is a guaranteed way of producing results, and other methods,as evidenced on these threads,didn't work.

Amen brother!

Relying on priests or bishops' secretaries to consider the victims was a serious misjudgement of the priorities of the Church on our behalves. We should have known they would simply look after number one.
MWWSI 2017