Is it the same in your part of the country?

Started by rionach 4, September 05, 2014, 09:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rionach 4

I was heading home on Wed evening about 6 pm and travelled through three counties  Derry Tyrone and into Armagh. It was a beautiful late summer early Autumn evening. I drove about 50/ 60 miles . I noticed some beautiful scenery particularly along the loughshore but also Along the way I passed numerous GAA pitches . At all the pitches I passed matches were being played and in some places two or three matches were going on in different pitches. I stopped for some petrol in a town along the way and the vast majority of young boys and girls out and about the shop and town were wearing GAA jerseys and quite a few differing counties I might add. Not once on the journey did I see any soccer jerseys or on passing some of the soccer  pitches they were empty.( I am not anti-soccer btw) The amount of young boys and girls playing GAA on that evening across mid-Ulster was huge . Any stranger or visitor to these parts would be left in no doubt as to what was the biggest show in town.  I could have just hit a good evening but if my travels were anything to go by GAA is alive and thriving in this part of the world. Would it be the same in your part of the country.  All those doom and gloom  merchants predicting the death of  Gaelic games  might wanna try that journey. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on September 05, 2014, 09:48:19 PM
There are a load of websites where you can buy cheap soccer jerseys so people don't have to fork out a fortune for a shirt that cost about 40p to make.
I think we need websites like this for GAA jerseys.

True! €62 for an Adult GAA Jersey! Madness! €50+ for a Kids Kit! Multiple Madness if you have a couple of Kids!

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

David McKeown

Quote from: rionach 4 on September 05, 2014, 09:42:26 PM
I was heading home on Wed evening about 6 pm and travelled through three counties  Derry Tyrone and into Armagh. It was a beautiful late summer early Autumn evening. I drove about 50/ 60 miles . I noticed some beautiful scenery particularly along the loughshore but also Along the way I passed numerous GAA pitches . At all the pitches I passed matches were being played and in some places two or three matches were going on in different pitches. I stopped for some petrol in a town along the way and the vast majority of young boys and girls out and about the shop and town were wearing GAA jerseys and quite a few differing counties I might add. Not once on the journey did I see any soccer jerseys or on passing some of the soccer  pitches they were empty.( I am not anti-soccer btw) The amount of young boys and girls playing GAA on that evening across mid-Ulster was huge . Any stranger or visitor to these parts would be left in no doubt as to what was the biggest show in town.  I could have just hit a good evening but if my travels were anything to go by GAA is alive and thriving in this part of the world. Would it be the same in your part of the country.  All those doom and gloom  merchants predicting the death of  Gaelic games  might wanna try that journey.

The lack of soccer and predominance off gaa for that matter may be something to do with the soccer season not starting to tomorrow for most youth leagues and amateur leagues. In Newtownabbey you can't hire a pitch for a game between June and this Saturday unless you are an amateur league side which is a decent standard, Belfasts not as bad but soccer pitches have been limited. Now I know Newtownabbey wouldn't be a GAA stronghold but I'd say a few councils would have a similar set of rules.

As a result and owing to the fact that most GAA teams own their own pitches the summer really is a time to make hay in my opinion and so I'm glad to see advantage being taken of the rival sports downtime
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

David McKeown

Right you are I missed that bit. Just read the counties involved

ONeill

That Kelloggs boy was some hoor.

Think he wanted yer balls cut off if ye had impure thoughts. Or something like that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rionach 4

Quote from: hardstation on September 05, 2014, 11:54:13 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on September 05, 2014, 11:47:43 PM

The lack of soccer and predominance off gaa for that matter may be something to do with the soccer season not starting to tomorrow for most youth leagues and amateur leagues. In Newtownabbey you can't hire a pitch for a game between June and this Saturday unless you are an amateur league side which is a decent standard, Belfasts not as bad but soccer pitches have been limited. Now I know Newtownabbey wouldn't be a GAA stronghold but I'd say a few councils would have a similar set of rules.

As a result and owing to the fact that most GAA teams own their own pitches the summer really is a time to make hay in my opinion and so I'm glad to see advantage being taken of the rival sports downtime
With the greatest respect, the majority of his journey was along the 'west' loughshore. Those hoors probably haven't even heard of sliced bread nevermind Chelsea, City, United or Liverpool. Probably saw a kid with a Windmill jersey on him.

The windmill GFC  now thats going back a bit  lol.

rionach 4

In all fairness David ,try getting the U -14 dev squad yogether in N Armagh  at this time of the year in North Armagh and then you will see how much the soccer season has started.

Sidney

Youngsters in the six counties wearing GAA jerseys of different counties was something I noticed about 14 or 15 years ago driving through South Down. You'd see Dublin, Kerry, Galway jerseys etc. I presume it's an identity thing.

muppet

Quote from: Sidney on September 06, 2014, 10:09:49 AM
Youngsters in the six counties wearing GAA jerseys of different counties was something I noticed about 14 or 15 years ago driving through South Down. You'd see Dublin, Kerry, Galway jerseys etc. I presume it's an identity thing.

It was an Féile.
MWWSI 2017

David McKeown

Quote from: rionach 4 on September 06, 2014, 01:11:50 AM

In all fairness David ,try getting the U -14 dev squad yogether in N Armagh  at this time of the year in North Armagh and then you will see how much the soccer season has started.

Is it hard in North Armagh? I know in North Belfast/Newtownabbey it's difficult to get my entire u15 soccer squad together to train or play anywhere in June or July because of a lack of pitches. Usually loose a couple to football training during that time. Get them back now. I've no idea how the GAA operates in Belfast/Newtownabbey but as I say they could really take advantage of the down time we have over the summer. The same anywhere else if pitches are as hard to get in other council areas.

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on September 05, 2014, 11:29:11 PM
I like this title. It's like a frustration vent.

Next up: KELLOGGS CÚL CAMPS

Antrim County Board have sent a message out to all clubs that they are not allowed* to run summer schemes, fun days or the like unless they club hold a "Kelloggs Cúl Camp" in the same year.

The problem is - parents are becoming totally disinterested in these Cúl Camps because they cost a fortune (you have to pay for a kit & a bag etc) and half arsed hoors are turning up to take the coaching sessions. Parents are complaining that their kids are getting little out of it despite the parents forking out a load of dough.

Clubs are happy to run similar camps at a cost of "next to fcuk all" where the kids are being coached properly by their actual team coaches.

Seems the GAA (Antrim GAA anyway) hate this because it may affect them getting their dough from Kelloggs.

*Antrim GAA are telling us that they are happy to cover the insurance for any summer scheme etc as long as you have a Kelloggs Cúl Camp, however, any club that doesn't run a Kelloggs Cúl camp, the GAA (Antrim anyway) will not cover the insurance for any summer scheme.

We're dancing to the man who pays the piper.

Is it the same in your part of the country?

On this point, I believe a club in Down was so dissatisfied with the standard of coaching and organisation of their Cúl Camp they have refused to give the money over and are going to give it back to the parents.

TBH Our Cúl Camp was very good this year, but that was more to do with the additional activities for the youngsters put on by club itself, but some of the coaching was of a poorish standard and the co-ordinator was almost an hour late and he lives the sum total of 3 miles away.

AZOffaly

Jaysus, our Cúl camp is very good. We have about 190 at it, and they all seem to have a great time. There's plenty of coaches, and the North Tipp GDA/Co-ordinator was on hand every day. It's been running very successfully for us for a good few years now.

We also have a Tipp GAA run Easter Camp which is great value. It's 20 quid for 3 days, and they get a Sliotar and a Football at the end of it as well.

I think these camps are a nice change for the kids, and certainly do them no harm.

Farrandeelin

Do ye're clubs ever host charity matches, i.e. all the proceeds go to a charity of choice. Last year we hosted one. It raised around €16,000 for cystic fibrosis and a lot of high profile GAA men came to play. This year we were supposed to have another one - for a local charity, but it got cancelled because the GAA didn't recognise it as part of the overall calendar. I was never as angry with the GAA as I am right now and I could insert a few expletives but sure what good would that do.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

StephenC

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 11, 2014, 10:49:22 PM
Do ye're clubs ever host charity matches, i.e. all the proceeds go to a charity of choice. Last year we hosted one. It raised around €16,000 for cystic fibrosis and a lot of high profile GAA men came to play. This year we were supposed to have another one - for a local charity, but it got cancelled because the GAA didn't recognise it as part of the overall calendar. I was never as angry with the GAA as I am right now and I could insert a few expletives but sure what good would that do.

Are you Knockmore?