Donegal (2011-2014) v Tyrone (2003-2008) v Armagh (1999-2006)

Started by Mike Sheehy, September 02, 2014, 09:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 03, 2014, 12:46:11 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on September 03, 2014, 12:41:55 AM
Who are the gifted players on the Donegal team that fecked away their talent on booze? That's some simplification of the situation there Mike.

Well obviously we've never heard of them. That is part and parcel of fecking your talent away on booze !

;D
Hasta la victoria siempre

bcarrier

The number of All Irelands won is probably the best measure. So 1.Tyrone  2. Donegal/Armagh

I have said this before but one all Ireland was about right for that Armagh team.

Tyrone maybe got one too many (last one). Down beat them in 2008 FFS. I am still not sure how they won the All Ireland that year. Must have been the beards. Kerry's twin towers got nothing from the referee in the final (see MS comment about big lads on the Mayo thread) but Tyrone played him well and Cavanagh got inspired at the finish.. 

I am not sure that Donegal should have any. Mayo just didnt turn up in 2012. Donegal now have something like Tyrone 2008 about them now though.

FWIW the Derry team of the 90s were biggest underachievers of last 25 years imo.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Tyrone are the best team Ive seen 2003 to 2008 hands down

trileacman

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 03, 2014, 12:43:17 AM
Quote from: trileacman on September 03, 2014, 12:21:56 AM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 02, 2014, 11:53:43 PM
Tyrone had a lot of talented footballers. Not so much Armagh. You boys were always more into the sly, late hits than free flowing attacking football. I'm not going to pretend I know more about Ulster football than you, but I do know for a fact that the 00s Tyrone and the current Donegal players are more talented than your famous Armagh lads. Just as I know that the current Dublin team are a lot better than the Dublin team you squeaked by in 02.

Please stop, you wouldn't know shite from clay.

McFadden is a poorer FF than Clarke or McDonnell. Murphy is better than both though. Kernan was a better wing back than Thompson or McBreaty. Gallagher used to regularly struggle against the Armagh MF back in the day so it's hard to argue that he would be better than McGrane. McNulty and Mallon were excellent CB who would be at least considered as good as the McGee's. Geezer and Lacey about the same. McConville skillwise was better than any donegal half-forward to argue otherwise is the ravings of a lunatic.

What did Clarke or McDonnell ever do apart from 2002 ? No-one cares about Ulster slugfests. In terms of getting to All-Ireland semi-finals and finals and winning them this Donegal team beats them hands down. Same with Tyrone when it comes to consecutive semis/finals.

McDonnell was the deserving footballer of the year in 2003.

You know sweet f**k all Mike, quit embarrassing yourself. Benny already called you out on your Donegal alcoholic bullshit.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: trileacman on September 03, 2014, 11:25:31 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 03, 2014, 12:43:17 AM
Quote from: trileacman on September 03, 2014, 12:21:56 AM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 02, 2014, 11:53:43 PM
Tyrone had a lot of talented footballers. Not so much Armagh. You boys were always more into the sly, late hits than free flowing attacking football. I'm not going to pretend I know more about Ulster football than you, but I do know for a fact that the 00s Tyrone and the current Donegal players are more talented than your famous Armagh lads. Just as I know that the current Dublin team are a lot better than the Dublin team you squeaked by in 02.

Please stop, you wouldn't know shite from clay.

McFadden is a poorer FF than Clarke or McDonnell. Murphy is better than both though. Kernan was a better wing back than Thompson or McBreaty. Gallagher used to regularly struggle against the Armagh MF back in the day so it's hard to argue that he would be better than McGrane. McNulty and Mallon were excellent CB who would be at least considered as good as the McGee's. Geezer and Lacey about the same. McConville skillwise was better than any donegal half-forward to argue otherwise is the ravings of a lunatic.

What did Clarke or McDonnell ever do apart from 2002 ? No-one cares about Ulster slugfests. In terms of getting to All-Ireland semi-finals and finals and winning them this Donegal team beats them hands down. Same with Tyrone when it comes to consecutive semis/finals.

McDonnell was the deserving footballer of the year in 2003.

You know sweet f**k all Mike, quit embarrassing yourself. Benny already called you out on your Donegal alcoholic bullshit.

I said nothing about "alcoholic" and you are well out of order implying otherwise.

You are also getting very worked up about what is a harmless thread. Stop being such a gobshite and take a chill pill.

BennyCake

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 03, 2014, 10:54:38 AM
Tyrone are the best team Ive seen 2003 to 2008 hands down

In 05, they were very good. Puke in 03, and just happened to win a couple of big matches in 08. That's Tyrone summed up.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: bcarrier on September 03, 2014, 09:57:42 AM
The number of All Irelands won is probably the best measure. So 1.Tyrone  2. Donegal/Armagh

I have said this before but one all Ireland was about right for that Armagh team.

Tyrone maybe got one too many (last one). Down beat them in 2008 FFS. I am still not sure how they won the All Ireland that year. Must have been the beards. Kerry's twin towers got nothing from the referee in the final (see MS comment about big lads on the Mayo thread) but Tyrone played him well and Cavanagh got inspired at the finish.. 

I am not sure that Donegal should have any. Mayo just didnt turn up in 2012. Donegal now have something like Tyrone 2008 about them now though.

FWIW the Derry team of the 90s were biggest underachievers of last 25 years imo.

Yeah, but you have to take into account the era as well. Like I said earlier, Donegals AI is worth more because by that time the likes of Kerry and Mayo were more prepared for the blanket so it was a fairer contest.

thewobbler

I don't see how you can say that about Derry. Brolly and Gormley were very useful, but being realistic none of their forwards would be considered among the best players of their generation, let alone all time.  Two outstanding players in Tohill and Scullion, three top-drawer players in Downey, McKeever an McGilligan. Not quite enough to be described as underachievers IMHO.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: thewobbler on September 03, 2014, 12:16:05 PM

I don't see how you can say that about Derry. Brolly and Gormley were very useful, but being realistic none of their forwards would be considered among the best players of their generation, let alone all time.  Two outstanding players in Tohill and Scullion, three top-drawer players in Downey, McKeever an McGilligan. Not quite enough to be described as underachievers IMHO.

Tbf even though he is always having a go at us, Brolly was a class player and Ulster simply don't produce those kind of players anymore. Its all about systems these days.

J OGorman

McKeever, Barton and definitely Henry D are in the outstanding bracket. Incredible club and county footballers. The backdoor came to late for that Derry squad.

armaghniac

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 03, 2014, 12:15:30 PM
Yeah, but you have to take into account the era as well. Like I said earlier, Donegals AI is worth more because by that time the likes of Kerry and Mayo were more prepared for the blanket so it was a fairer contest.

There is a great deal of WUM nonsense on this thread. No doubt Donegal are better than the 70s/80s Kerry team because they've had the benefit of seeing innovations by others in that period. If Armagh or Tyrone advanced things tactically then that made them important teams, others stand on their shoulders, they cannot be expected to have benefited from seeing innovations that they themselves introduced.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: J OGorman on September 03, 2014, 12:22:57 PM

McKeever, Barton and definitely Henry D are in the outstanding bracket. Incredible club and county footballers. The backdoor came to late for that Derry squad.

I don't think it would have made a difference.

I'd think you can draw a lot of comparisons between Derry of the early 90s and the current Mayo side. Both excellent sides, but lacking the firepower up front to become a great team. In fairness to Derry, at least they managed to reach the holy grail. But a single Ulster title for that group of players tells a story that they were missing something.

bcarrier

Point taken but All Irelands from 95-97 were pretty weak ones imo.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: armaghniac on September 03, 2014, 12:23:47 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 03, 2014, 12:15:30 PM

There is a great deal of WUM nonsense on this thread. No doubt Donegal are better than the 70s/80s Kerry team because they've had the benefit of seeing innovations by others in that period. If Armagh or Tyrone advanced things tactically then that made them important teams, others stand on their shoulders, they cannot be expected to have benefited from seeing innovations that they themselves introduced.

Why is it a wumming to ask if this Donegal team are better than Armagh/Tyrone just a few years before ? You lads had no problems making these kinds of comparisons to teams from 20-30 years previous when ye were in ye're pomp. This is at least a fairer comparison as all three teams are coming from more or less equal circumstances.

I think Donegal are physically a much better unit than Armagh (1999-2006) even if you normalize for the incremental improvements. There is also no ball-player on that Armagh side as good as Murphy. 

If you disagree then say why. Stop just dismissing it as wumming  ::) jesus you lads are super sensitive to any questioning of your sides.

seafoid

I think there is a strong argument that had the Troubles not happened Kerry would have won a good deal fewer all Irelands between 1969 and 1990.

Down would have beaten them a few times and Tyrone probably would have too.
The security situation meant it took Tyrone much longer to get going but when they did they were well able to beat Kerry in the big matches.