Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greygoose

Anybody be knid enough to post this weeks fixtures ??

Square Ball

Monday 4th June 7:30pm

Div Three

Drumgath v Bright

Tullylish v Bosco

Dundrun v Bredagh
ACPRFL

Div One

Warrenpoint v Rostrevor

Clonduff v Downpatrick

Bryansford v Mayobridge

An Riocht v Burren

Longstone v Kilcoo

Div Two

Saul v Carryduff

Annaclone v Saval

Castlewellan v Ballymartin

Loughinisland v Kilclief

Tuesday 5th June 7:30pm

Democrat Media Hurling Leagues

Div One S9

Ballygalget v Ballycran

Liatroim v Kilclief

Ballela v Portaferry

Div Two

Portaferry v Clonduff

Warrenpoint v Castlewellan

Ballycran v Ballygalget

Ballyvarley v Bredagh

Friday 8th June 7:15pm

O'Neills International Sportswear League

Div One

Bryansford v Rostrevor

Atticall v Clonduff

Mayobridge v Longstone

Castlewellan v Kilcoo

An Riocht v Burren

Loughinisland v Liatroim

Div Two

Ballymartin v Warrenpoint

Kilclief v Clann Na Banna

Ballyholland v Darragh Cross

Carryduff v Annaclone

Glasdrumman v Saval

Div Three

Teconnaught v Drumgath

Bright v Mitchels

Glenn v Tullylish

Dundrum v Saul

Ardglass v Bosco

St. Pauls v Bredagh

Div Four

Aughlisnafin v St. Johns

Drumaness v Aghaderg

St. Michaels v Ballykinlar

Monday 11th June 7:30pm

O'Neills International Sportswear League

Div Two

Shamrocks v Downpatrick

ACPRFL

Div One

Liatroim v Longstone

Kilcoo v An Riocht

Burren v Bryansford

Mayobridge v Clonduff

Downpatrick v Warrenpoint

Div Two

Tullylish v Annaclone

Saval v Loughinisland

Castlewellan v Carryduff

Ballymartin v Saul

Tuesday 12th June 7:30pm

Democrat Media Hurling Leagues

Div One

Shamrocks v Ballela

Portaferry v Liatroim

Kilclief v Ballygalget

Div Two

Castlewellan v Portaferry

Ballygalget v Warrenpoint

Bredagh v Ballycran

Clonduff v Ballyvarley

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

MadMick007

Let's see what the County Board do now after this shocking result. We all thought things could not get any worse after last year but they have. People talk about the Hurling Board, do you realise that the Hurling Board is only responsible for Juveniles and have no say what so ever around adult hurling where it be County Senior or Div2. All of the clubs in Down send one representative to the Hurling Board and one to the main county Board. The Football rep will go to the main county board where the guy who is interested in Hurling goes to the Hurling Board, this results in no Hurling at all being discussed seriously at the County Board as no one could give a dam about hurling and the guy who does is sitting on a committee that has no teeth and is a waste of time, i.e. the Hurling Board. For those Hurling people who are on the main County committee there is no hurling discussed until end of meeting and by that time they need to go and get the last ferry so no debate on hurling matters.
We all know Hurling will always come second in Down and I suppose why not, but does it have to trail so far behind. Issues such as what happened with the Minor Hurlers would never happen in football and rightly so but because you represent your county at hurling does that mean you are not allowed the appropriate gear. A quote recently from Hurling board secretary was that the "County Sponsors do not really support Hurling", basically be thankful for what you get. Is this the right message to send out? Can Canal Court or Morgan Fuels confirm this???
We have now got development squads up and running which is a start. However if there is not more effort or commitment shown by County Board they will fall to an arse. The squads rarely train in the same area twice and are sent to school pitches without appropriate facilities for hurling, ball screens etc. There was supposed to be individual training programmes for each squad in order to show a pathway for development through from U-14 to Minor, to date this has not been provided to coaches who are basically doing all the same drills. This will get boring year after year! If these squads fail now they will never be resurrected as all clubs have provided their top coaches and they will not give up their time again nor will players want to go.
Going forward there needs to be a Hurling Development Committee set up and the hurling board scrapped. This committee will report directly to County Board with their proposals. There also needs to be sufficient funding set aside to support any programmes. We need to show at least a 5 year plan on where Hurling in the county is going.
Don't get me wrong, yesterday's fiasco was also a lot to do with management and players. Firstly management should insist on the latest training techniques, equipment diet etc. This was not done. Are they capable? The attitude of the players also needs to be looked at and I believe this is born out of frustration due to the lack of professionalism shown at training sessions. Down also need everyone wanting to play for their county with at least 6 players missing yesterday due to injury or not wanting to play.
Maybe we should scrap county Hurling and concentrate on the club scene??!?!?

Square Ball

Div 3 Result

Dundrum  2-13   Bredagh  3 - 8

Dundrum scored a goal in the last minute to win by 2
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

TORGAEL

ACFL DIVISION 3

DRUMGATH 3-12   BRIGHT 0-16

DownFanatic

Anyword on how the Tullylish v Bosco game went?

passedit

Don't Panic

DownFanatic

Latest Down ACFL Division 3 League Table

Dundrum   15
Tullylish   14
Teconnaught   14
Saul   13
------------------------------------
Drumgath   13
Bredagh   13
Bosco   11
Glenn   11
----------------------------------
Ardglass   9
Mitchels   7
St Pauls   6
Bright   4

Outstanding Fixture: Tullylish v Bosco

6th sam

As an ex-hurler/footballer,I think the time has come for the Ards clubs to take the lead.They obviously are better organised than the county,but lack of county success obviously has a detrimental effect on their progress.
We have the best game in the world,yet it is becoming less attractive to our youth.To my shame,my own kids do not play hurling,as I don't beleive in travelling 8 miles to the nearest club  for poorly organised training,and 5-6 matches per year.I am prepared to travel 8 miles however to take them to well organised football training,and I know they will get over 20 matches a year,and have a real chance to develop as footballers.
The shock over Sunday's defeat would make you think this annihilation was an isolated incident.Down hurlers have taken some tankings over the last few years at minor ,u21 and senior level.We have no real Hurling nurseries at schools level.
The failings of the county board with regard to Hurling are obvious,but why do Hurling folk let this happen?
Surely there has to be leadership from "the Ards" on this issue,since "the Ards" has the expertise and have the most to lose if this situation isn't remedied.Ballycran/Portaferry and Ballygalget need to get their most knowledgeable,charismatic and forward thinking personalities to grab the bull by the horns now,before Antrim leave us to languish in mediocrity!

Lecale2

Results from last night

ACHL Div 2
Ballycran 4 -15 2-11 Ballygalget
Ballyvarley 1-11 2-14 Bredagh
Warrenpoint 3-08 0-08 Castlewellan

Whitehair

ACHL Div1
Ballela 1.16 Portaferry 7.29

We only had 12 players so we had to put a fella who was injured in goals and ask portaferry to play 13 a side but they wouldnt agree. We then had to ring two 18 year olds from the area who dont play hurling, and havent in the past, to play 15-a-side. Their corner forward Nigel Milliigan? scored about 3.6 off one of the poor lads!

Lecale2

Quote from: Whitehair on June 06, 2007, 09:27:17 AM
ACHL Div1

We only had 12 players so we had to put a fella who was injured in goals and ask portaferry to play 13 a side but they wouldnt agree. We then had to ring two 18 year olds from the area who dont play hurling, and havent in the past, to play 15-a-side. Their corner forward Nigel Milliigan? scored about 3.6 off one of the poor lads!

You should be allowed to play 13 a side in league games where on team only has 13 players. This sort of thing does nobody any good. Portaferry are taking this league very seriously this year and are determined to win it. Fair play to the 2 lads who helped you out.

6th sam

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 06, 2007, 09:36:54 AM
Quote from: Whitehair on June 06, 2007, 09:27:17 AM
ACHL Div1

You should be allowed to play 13 a side in league games where on team only has 13 players. This sort of thing does nobody any good. Portaferry are taking this league very seriously this year and are determined to win it. Fair play to the 2 lads who helped you out.
I suppose Portaferry's logic was that they had 15+ players who wanted a game.I'd imagine they didn't want to deprive 2-3 of their own lads a game of Hurling because another side didn't attend with a full quota.
Part of the problem in Down club Hurling is that if clubs don't meet their responsibility to field 15,then it becomes a Mickey Mouse league.
I'm all for encouraging Hurling in smaller clubs ,but if we start dropping standards then everybody suffers.
I hope Ballela are already working to ensure they have 15 senior Hurlers for their next league game!

Whitehair

Portaferry brought 16 with them and to be fair they rang in the evening to confirm that we could field, all our players were sent a message on monday night to let somebody know if they would be missing, about 4 of the lads all 17yr olds had turned there phones off and didnt contact anyone. Portaferry told the referee that we played 13 a side against ballygalget and nearly beat them so they wouldn't take any chances. Not that it makes much differance but we actually played 15 that match. Although the Portaferry lads all would have wanted a game in my view they would have had a far better exercise playing 13 a side.

TORGAEL

ACFL DIV3

Teconnaught beat Drumgath by a point last night[ sorry but i dont know the actual scoreline yet ]