Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

Agree with you Dubh 2 un sung men on our team . Dan just got on with being fired into a totally different position never complained at all . Laverty bidded his time and has worked his way into the team and no one can say he is not worth his place . Always gives 100 % both of them

Dubh driocht

Antrim at Casement is a tough one but there were tougher.
The Mc Kenna Cup game on a cold January night was the proverbial game of two halves  which ended equal but not really a guide to a championship game in July. However, they don't like us and Bradley will have them totally pumped. They have strong athletic players and a reliable free-taker ( if he starts) but no outstanding forwards. We will be slight favouraites , but unlike what I am going to do, James should look no further than Casement.
If we win, a home tie was going to be an important issue.We fear nobody on a Saturday night in Parc Esler. Well there is no bigger test than Cork. But if we are going to improve and climb the ultimate, it might be the best time to get them, like Kerry last year.Couldn't be tougher mind.

NP 76

Doesnt matter who wins between Down and Antrim the next round against Cork will be in a neutral venue

Dubh driocht

That makes it really really hard. But we'll give it a lash against Antrim and hopefully an even bigger lash against the rebels.

snoopdog

id say IF we get by Antrim then we will play Cork in Portlaoise.
Down need Ambrose and Danny back quick or Cork will tank us. Id say they will beat us easily enough anyway.
Gutted with that draw

thewobbler

Snoop, there's no reason why Cork should tank Down.

Despite having eons more experience, then obliterating us at midfield for 35 minutes, they beat us by  just 1 point in the AI final. 1 point.

As for the League game this year, that took place in Cork and our boys were neck and neck for 60.

If we get past Antrim and have a fortnight to
clear up the half a dozen or so injuries and knocks, we will push Cork all the way.

dodgy umpire

For me the draw against Antrim is much the same as this years UFC quarter final against Armagh. On paper we are the better team but we are travelling to their back yard and Bradley, like orourke, will have them seriously pumped up and they will throw the kitchen sink at us. I am confident of a win and have a feeling that Saturday will be the night that things start to click for Down.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Mourne Rover

Wobbler is right, as - if we survive next Saturday - we know that, at our best, we are capable of giving Cork a decent rattle. Getting out of Casement is a different matter, as it has been a graveyard  for some good and not so good Down teams. Antrim beat us there in a downpour in 2000, but what we will remember is that three times we went to Casement as defending AI champions (62, 69 and 92) and three times we lost. We also lost to Tyrone there in 84, to Armagh after a replay in 90, to Cavan  in 02 and then Armagh in our first ever qualifier the same year and to Tyrone again last year. We did have a great win there against Tyrone in 99, and we beat Cavan there in 06, but it is not exactly our lucky ground.

NP 76

First post from the wobbler this long time thought he was on holidays . If we get OVER Antrim only a week to Cork game not 2 weeks

Leo

According to the notes in the programme for last Saturday's match ground regulations at Pairc Esler can now be enforced by the Garda.
Did I miss something in the GFA?
Fierce tame altogether

5 Sams

7pm throw in in Casement next Saturday confirmed.
The Aristocrat Years

pointlad

Heard today that if Down win they'll play Cork in Croke Park in a double header with the winners of Meath/ Kildare v Ulster Final Losers.

redandblackareback

Quote from: pointlad on July 13, 2011, 02:52:28 PM
Heard today that if Down win they'll play Cork in Croke Park in a double header with the winners of Meath/ Kildare v Ulster Final Losers.

Hope this is true, cus I feel on a big field we will take Cork apart.

knockitdown

Quote from: redandblackareback on July 13, 2011, 03:53:49 PM
Quote from: pointlad on July 13, 2011, 02:52:28 PM

Hope this is true, cus I feel on a big field we will take Cork apart.

eh, we played them on the big field of croke park last september.....  :-X

ardtole

Are there any league games scheduled for this Friday or will they be put back due to the cork game