Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Quote from: whitegoodman on June 23, 2011, 10:00:21 PM
Given the injuries that is in the forward line at the minute i would find it very strange if we were to further weaken it by taken marty out to midfield considering fitzpatrick, king, colgen and murphy are all options. 

If Doyle is to start Id be happier to see him in the forward line than the defence due to issues regarding his pace.

Considering the injuries I would go for the following

McVeigh
D McCartan
Gordon
Brannigan
McKernan
Colgen
Rooney
King
Murphy
McGinn ( If fit )
Poland
McCumisky
Lavery
Coulter ( If fit )
Clarke

Dont no if there are any options left for corner back other than brannigan??  Cant see him starting murphy either but it would be a good game to bring him in.

Small half forward line but not much choice unless he brings Doyle or Mooney into it

Bringing a 17 year old into the half forward line would hardly make any difference to size, even for his age he s not regarded as being "Big"

Personally I think Kallum King has got off light recently for his performances, its quite evident he is not fit and not playing well either. If Goldenyears is right and Marty plays in MF, I would be happy with that. CLare is the game to try these things as it should be a comfortable 10-12 point victory.

Colgan is an option in there too, not sure about Anton Mc Ardle, dont think the lad is ready for Senior football but then again is Mooney?? Who knows.. In James we trust.. Lets hope this kick starts our run this summer!!

NP 76

Wouldnt be surprised to see Mooney and Doyle in haf forward line would leave Clarke in there as options are limited enough as it is . James hasnt announced a team on a Thursday night this long time was talking to two players earlier and nothing said to them .

Leo

Quote from: NP 76 on June 24, 2011, 12:13:24 AM
Wouldnt be surprised to see Mooney and Doyle in haf forward line would leave Clarke in there as options are limited enough as it is . James hasnt announced a team on a Thursday night this long time was talking to two players earlier and nothing said to them .

Worth repeating the question even if the audience is deaf .....
Last of the apples and oranges.

Re: Clare vs Down Sat June 25th, Ennis
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: whitegoodman on June 21, 2011, 09:03:57 AM

Coulter - Hamstring
McGinn - Hamstring
McArdle - Hamstring
Mckernan - Hamstring

Is there something wrong wth our training?
Bearing in mind our fade-out in the last quarter in so many games  - way back to last year - the question has to be asked
Fierce tame altogether

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Leo on June 24, 2011, 01:10:15 AM
Is there something wrong with our training?

We're hamstrung with injuries!

Were they all incurred during training (or even on county duty)?
i usse an speelchekor

PAULD123

I'd be very surprised to see any dramatic changes. The one thing we have seen about James is that he is very conservative with team selection. He will most likely pick exactly the team that we know to be our best 15 and the only change will be those that he is forced to make. Also it is more than likely Benny and McGinn will be just about able to start. To that effect I would expect the team to be:

McVeigh
D McCartan
Gordon
Brannigan
McKernan
Doyle
Rooney
King
Fitzpatrick
McGinn
Poland
McCumisky
Lavery
Coulter
Clarke

So Lavery comes in for John Clarke (as Murtagh is injured) and McComiskey drops to half forward due to the loss of Hughes. Doyle comes in at CHB to allow McKernan to cover for Garvey at RHB. Finally Brannigan starts in the corner because Rafferty and McCardle are injured but if McCardle is fit then he would start. All the reports I have read about the injuries have not mentioned McCardle so perhaps he is fitter than we think. Are there any lads from his club on here that know better?

Of course we will all find out the truth about the injuries tonight around 11pm when James finally releases the team.

EagleLord

Ye would wonder about how Mooney was in and out of the game when he gets 2.7 out of a total 2.8? :D
I think someone said he was in and out of the Hogan final, but still got 2.2! I wouldnt mind him being in and out of the game if he hit that against Clare!

whitegoodman

Quote from: Leo on June 24, 2011, 01:10:15 AM
Quote from: NP 76 on June 24, 2011, 12:13:24 AM

Worth repeating the question even if the audience is deaf .....
Last of the apples and oranges.

Re: Clare vs Down Sat June 25th, Ennis
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: whitegoodman on June 21, 2011, 09:03:57 AM

Coulter - Hamstring
McGinn - Hamstring
McArdle - Hamstring
Mckernan - Hamstring

Bearing in mind our fade-out in the last quarter in so many games  - way back to last year - the question has to be asked

I would be of the opinion that it is more to do with the training facilities than the methods used.

As NP said on the main board there has been alot of complaints in the states about these artifical pitches for want of a better word.  They are of the view that they are causing alot of short and long term injuries and are starting to do away with them both in their stadia and training facilities.

Maybe its a coincidence but if the yanks think its time to get rid then maybe we should start listening!!

Mourne Rover

Eaglelord, Mooney is a very different player to the likes of Marty Clarke and Danny Hughes who are always looking for the ball. He switches position, heads out to the wing and does not get involved for long periods. Then he gets the right ball into space and it is very hard to stop him. He is well built for a teenager, has an outstanding turn of pace and is a natural finisher. Whether he is ready for county level remains to be seen. but there is probably only one way to find out.

The team for Clare had a few surprises, and the omission of wee Dan was probably the biggest. He struggled for most of the game against Armagh, but, as a few people have pointed out, he does not give away as many frees as Brannigan and McArdle. While Duffin will not let anyone down, Murphy or Colgan - if fit - have more to offer.

There must be very little chance of Hughes being involved, so a re-jig which might see Marty to midfield, KK or Fitzpatrick up front,  and Benny and Doyler along Poland in the half forward line is one option.

It all looks a bit uncertain, and the only bright spot is that, if we get out of Ennis, there will be a two-week gap to get a few from the injured list back on their feet again.

redandblack4ever

[/quote]

I would be of the opinion that it is more to do with the training facilities than the methods used.

As NP said on the main board there has been alot of complaints in the states about these artifical pitches for want of a better word.  They are of the view that they are causing alot of short and long term injuries and are starting to do away with them both in their stadia and training facilities.

Maybe its a coincidence but if the yanks think its time to get rid then maybe we should start listening!!
[/quote]

Yes, here in the US the artificial turf stadia and training facilities are all being phased out. In fact, off the top of my head  I can't think of one stadium in either the NFL or MLB that still uses it. The main reason it's gone is because of knee and leg injuries to players.

Years ago before Gaelic Park in Chicago was built, the GAA games were played in  Hansen Stadium and it was Astroturf. Almost all of the players complained about the surface. Their biggest complaint was "it was playing on concrete". So if the Down seniors trained on this surface I'm not surprised at the injuries.

Us Yanks aren't always right about somethings, but I think this is one time, where we got it correctly.

I think Down will beat Clare tomorrow morning (our time), but I don't think they'll run away with the game. If they don't, it's going to be an awfully long summer for the many Down supporters here in Chicago.

Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

whitegoodman

According Down website Dan McCartan is injured as well.  Danny Hughes supposed to be def out, likely to be a number of changes to that team named.

Kingdom bt Clonduff by 4, yellas struggling badly!!!!

Mid Down Gael

ACFL Division 1

Kilcoo 0-10 Longstone 0-4

Played in awful conditions with driving wind and rain, Kilcoo played some outstanding football to win easier than the scoreline reflects. Seven of our starting team where 20 or under, for young fellas to play so well on a night like that was a credit to them.
The older lads didnt do too badly either. Great win and another 2 points without the services of many of our main men.

amallon

Burren  2 - 6 vs 0 - 7 Mayobridge
Clonduff  1 - 7 vs 1 - 11 An Riocht 
Kilcoo  0 - 10 vs 0 - 4 Longstone 
Rostrevor  0 - 9 vs 2 - 4 Saval 

Awful night for football everywhere.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Oglach

Ambrose got 25 mins tonight, he had a few touches but it was difficult to gauge a performance in that weather.

No1

Kilclief beat Tullylish by 9 points.

knockitdown