Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointlad

Quote from: blueannavy on May 31, 2011, 10:42:09 PM
think the draw is on next monday night pontlad .. hope we get down sorry i mean burren  ;)

Cheers Lad

redandblack4ever

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 31, 2011, 08:27:33 PM
To be fair to Pauly2, although you shouldn't make statements if you have not got the necessary evidence to back them up, it is a fairly well established "secret" that GAA many coaches receive financial benefits for their endevours. It is also a similar psuedo-fact that this is done thorugh rather generous "expenses". Given that we have two coaches working for us that travel great distances and are not natve to the county, it is not unreasonable to postulate that they are financially looked after.

But it is wrong to make direct statements and accusations without evidence.

Though tell me honestly, Mrs Red&B and Mournerambler do you really think that McIvor and Tally do this for the simple love of our county's team? I'd be surpised myself but I am not saying they definatly are or not

Exactomundo,  PAULD123. Do I think that coaches and managers in the GAA receive payment for their efforts, sure I do, but I don't know for proof positive.

I do agree 100% with your sentiment from above about making direct statements and accusations. I just think it's an exercise in futility.

But I am having a laugh at some of the Armagh ones that think after Saturday night that POR is now the best thing since sliced bread when only a few weeks ago they were calling for his head. Pure hypocrisy, they remind me of the right wing Republicans and the Tea Partiers here in the USA.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

redandblackareback

Some of the posts on here this week have been Ludicrous and outrageous!! I think its a disgrace some of the abuse certain individuals have been handing out and some of the inflamatory comments that have been put on here particularly from new posters.

Lets put behind the DOOM and GLOOM and look forward to an easy path through the qualifiers again. Tyrone will win Ulster at a Canter anyway lets be real   :P

Mid Down Gael

Watched Saturdays game again there. It is a game we can learn greatly from however hard it is to take loosing to our bitter rivals.
Our own mistakes led to all of Armaghs scores in the last 20 minutes and our lack of fight in the last 15 minutes in particular was most disapointing.
Regardless of Benny not recieving a free going through on goal, he had a much better option as Danny was unmarked on the 21, a wee look from benny could have led to a goal which likely would have swung it in our favour.
Other simple things like Rooneys miss from an easy chance when the game was level, McComiskey not winning 2 balls resulting in Armagh counter attacking and scoring 2 points and Fitzpatricks poor use of possession among other mistakes our lads made that they wouldnt normally proved decisive.
All ifs, buts and maybes, it was just a poor day at the office for many individuals including our management team but hopefully just like the Tyrone game last year they all learn the hard way and get a decent run in the qualifiers.

DownFanatic

Saturday was a desperately disappointing day for the county. Our Minors squandering a large lead and losing by a point was very hard to take. That was a very good bunch of players and it's a massive pity that there is no backdoor system in the Ulster MFC. One question I would have to ask about the Minor game is how on earth does a team manage to sqaunder an 11 point lead twice and only manage to score 1 point from play over the course of a game?

Our Seniors weren't actually that bad. I just think Armagh had one of those nights were everything worked for them. We still mark too loosely at the back and I would have serious reservations about the strength of our bench. Garvey and Rafferty will improve our defence big time when they return and the sooner Ambrose returns the better.

I have no doubt that we will get a good run in the Qualifiers. We have quality to come back in to the fold and if we can shore up our backline a bit and get the right combination at midfield our game will improve. The Armagh defeat was disappointing but not a complete disaster. We still crave that elusive Ulster title but with our experience in Division 1 behind us and a bit of re-jigging an extended Summer is a distinct possibility.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 01, 2011, 09:01:31 PM
Watched Saturdays game again there. It is a game we can learn greatly from however hard it is to take loosing to our bitter rivals.
Our own mistakes led to all of Armaghs scores in the last 20 minutes and our lack of fight in the last 15 minutes in particular was most disapointing.
Regardless of Benny not recieving a free going through on goal, he had a much better option as Danny was unmarked on the 21, a wee look from benny could have led to a goal which likely would have swung it in our favour.
Other simple things like Rooneys miss from an easy chance when the game was level, McComiskey not winning 2 balls resulting in Armagh counter attacking and scoring 2 points and Fitzpatricks poor use of possession among other mistakes our lads made that they wouldnt normally proved decisive.
All ifs, buts and maybes, it was just a poor day at the office for many individuals including our management team but hopefully just like the Tyrone game last year they all learn the hard way and get a decent run in the qualifiers.

Agree with this, we could have and had the chances to win going into the last 20 mins but didn't deserve to given we only played for 15 mins in the first half and 15 mins in the second.

Leonardo

I'm amazed by the reaction of some of the posters. We need to realise that we are not in the top 2 teams in Ulster, never mind Ireland. James took a team of decent players and got them to compete with the big boys. He gave them a system and a belief in themselves. We didnt look comfortable with the favourites tag on Saturday, and perhaps some of the lads were thinking that they didnt need to work as hard as they did last year. A few harsh words this week should get the lads back on track. Give James a break, he was always modest last year while we were winning, and it seems that we cant wait to stick the boot in when the going gets tough.

NedFlanders

I just have to laugh at some of use fellas ( or ladies) on here, your heads must be pretty far up your arses! "John Clarkes start does not reflect League form" Sorry but thats just a loada of s***e. Been playin out of his skin for club and puttin in sessions for club and county you wouldn believe. His last game (for the county) against mayo he scored 1-1 and then never got a chance until last weekend, where's the sense in that. How can you slate a man who been there for over 10 years and never grumbled or moaned at not gettin game time just put his head down and put the work in, thats a lack of respect for the man right their folks. S Our 2 corner backs were gettin roasted on Saturday and whats wee James do, takes a corner forward off, just me that finds this bemusing. Down finishing with 6 or 7 burren men of the field, JOKE. Heard a wee rumour that the panel considering a breakaway team, give some of the more deserving players a chance!

supersub

Quote from: NedFlanders on June 02, 2011, 12:04:51 AM
I just have to laugh at some of use fellas ( or ladies) on here, your heads must be pretty far up your arses! "John Clarkes start does not reflect League form" Sorry but thats just a loada of s***e. Been playin out of his skin for club and puttin in sessions for club and county you wouldn believe. His last game (for the county) against mayo he scored 1-1 and then never got a chance until last weekend, where's the sense in that. How can you slate a man who been there for over 10 years and never grumbled or moaned at not gettin game time just put his head down and put the work in, thats a lack of respect for the man right their folks. S Our 2 corner backs were gettin roasted on Saturday and whats wee James do, takes a corner forward off, just me that finds this bemusing. Down finishing with 6 or 7 burren men of the field, JOKE. Heard a wee rumour that the panel considering a breakaway team, give some of the more deserving players a chance!

Hmmm

Banana Man

Quote from: NedFlanders on June 02, 2011, 12:04:51 AM

Let us know how you get on with that - what a load of shite

PAULD123

A few extreme comments here.

Saturday was disappointing, above all else because Ulster was a real possibility but the All-Ireland is unlikely (not impossible), so the chances are that we will finish without medals again this year. I'm not being a doom-monger just realistic, but I will still go into every game believing in the team.

But we are a good team with good players and, as the summer goes on, hopefully will play better. Our midfield needs sorting though, As far as I saw it, if we had won midfield the game would have been ours. Armagh used midfield to spring all their attacks and it stopped our forwards getting the balls they needed. when our forwards did get possession they certainly looked dangerous.

So for me it is down to one simple fix - Fix midfield and we will be able to compete with anyone

Does anyone know if Ambrose will be fit any time soon, or at all this season?

bridgegael

kevy mcclorey should be on the senior panel
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

waitingforsam

Id be starting Aidan Car & Paul Murphy in that down team that played last weekend.

I understand that Car has left the panel ? is this correct?

What a shame if true, he was excellent for down & good from the dead ball.

Been waiting since '94

PAULD123

Quote from: waitingforsam on June 02, 2011, 10:45:31 AM
Id be starting Aidan Car & Paul Murphy in that down team that played last weekend.

I understand that Car has left the panel ? is this correct?

What a shame if true, he was excellent for down & good from the dead ball.

He hardly had any game time in the national league. Any time he came on I thought he looked composed. Until recently he was still in the panel but is living in London and was commuting to be in the squad. If he has left then it wouldn't be a surprise. If he hasn't then it doesn't really matter if James doesn't want to play him.

PAULD123

Does anyone know what the situation is with Ambrose? We had been led to believe that he was ready to play on Saturday for at least some of the game. If that was true then surely he would have come on for the last 20 minutes when we were getting murdered in midfield.

Is Ambrose going to fit enough to play in the next game/any game this year?